C1 & C2 Corvettes General C1 Corvette & C2 Corvette Discussion, Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Project Builds, Restorations

electric fan

Search this Thread

Old 06-03-2013, 05:26 PM
1Redctoo
Pro

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Default electric fan

I would like to add an electric puller fan to my '66 327/300 non AC car.
I would like to be able to operate it manually for parades etc, when the car is being driven real s l o w on summer days .
Any hints or suggestions as to brands , size , installation , etc ??
Old 06-03-2013, 06:24 PM
bosshog8
Pro

Received 37 Likes on 32 Posts

Originally Posted by 1Redctoo
Any hints or suggestions as to brands , size , installation , etc ??
Any good name brand will do.

The biggest one you can fit.

Comes with instructions.

Most Upper end controllers allow for manual override.
Old 06-03-2013, 07:09 PM
MOXIE62
Safety Car

Received 332 Likes on 275 Posts

Default Over heat, impossible

Did you find out why your car is overheating. Or you just want to throw parts at it until its fixed. Oh sorry, that was another thread. There are members on here who say if the car is correct original with everything working as should, car will not over heat. Of course that's people who live in Alaska and only drive during Christmas holidays.
Old 06-03-2013, 08:08 PM
Martyt
Racer
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 87 Likes on 68 Posts

My mechanic added one from a newer corvette. Works great. My 66' 427 BB was running too warm before the install (I also added different thersmostat and flushed the radiator and block so I had other issues which were causing it to run warm). Took the car to Palm Springs last week driving back in 100 degree temp and although it ran warm, it never over heated (I don't think the BBs vetttes were meant to run in those condtions anyway--not a lot of room in the engine bay and the mid year vette does not allow a lot of air to get in the bay (even with the front plate off)). m
Old 06-03-2013, 08:09 PM
Martyt
Racer
Support Corvetteforum!

Just saw Moxie's post--spot on IMO.
Old 06-03-2013, 08:13 PM
65air_coupe
Melting Slicks

Received 365 Likes on 181 Posts

I put a Derale in mine but not because of any overheat problems, I went to a serpentine belt configuration and since the water pump is now reverse rotation, the stock fan won't work.

I went with a Derale that included a plenum, something that I felt was important since I have A/C and wanted to pull air across the full area of the condensor. Mine's actually a two speed model and is setup for the low speed to engage with the A/C compressor and high speed is controlled by a thermostatic switch in the water jacket.

I have another electric fan I bought that fits in the opening of the stock shroud but decided to clean up the engine compartment and get rid of that huge hunk of metal. It's for sale if anyone is interested.
Old 06-04-2013, 12:50 AM
EDinPA
Le Mans Master

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Old 06-04-2013, 06:58 AM
Matt Gruber
Race Director

Received 75 Likes on 51 Posts

i'd leave the engine shut off for parades, if parades is your thing.
i'd use a scooter motor to power the car via a small wheel under the car, a temporary install just for parades. BUT, that is me, i don't expect anyone to do this, it is too much fun. You guys must do it the non-fun way, it is in your DNA

Last edited by Matt Gruber; 06-04-2013 at 07:08 AM.
Old 06-04-2013, 09:25 AM
Tampa Jerry
Le Mans Master

Received 1,327 Likes on 959 Posts

Default Fan

If you are going to mount the fan in front of the radiator, you will need a pusher fan as opposed to a puller fan. If you put in front, get one that is very thin. If not, your hood may hit the fan when open. Jerry
Old 06-04-2013, 07:40 PM
1Redctoo
Pro

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

I want to use a puller so it is hidden by the shroud . Thanks EDinPA for the disgram . now all I have to do is buy a fan that will fit .
Even tho it's the central coast of calif , it gets HOT here in the summer time . Over 100 deg + . I do like to drive the car in cruizes or parades once in awhile and it can get to hot with no air flow .
Right now the car runs about 185 on the freeway and going around 45 in town , but slow down and it starts to go over 200 .
Old 06-04-2013, 07:55 PM
Martyt
Racer
Support Corvetteforum!

You will love the electric fan; no more constantly checking the temp guage. Make sure all the other components are okay--clean block and radiator, correct thermostat, etc. I know its not legal but I took off the front license plate and left it that way despite having added the e fan. Driving around San Diego the car now runs very cool with the e fan.
Old 06-04-2013, 08:25 PM
mikem350
Melting Slicks

Received 95 Likes on 92 Posts

You need a LOT of airflow from a fan..get the most cfm you can. Also be aware of the hi amps drawn by them..you need heavy wire and good alternator output..a stock 37A might be marginal.

Make sure the fan shroud seals around the rad too
Old 06-04-2013, 08:35 PM
Martyt
Racer
Support Corvetteforum!

Correct re the shroud--mine had issues which also contributed to the running too warm issue. If there is one area where a lot of little and not so little things end up causing a big problem, it's the cooling. I think the C2 BB vette cooling was barely adequate from the factory (in my humble opinion); does not take much to make it inadequate. marty

Get notified of new replies

To electric fan

Quick Reply: electric fan