C1 & C2 Corvettes General C1 Corvette & C2 Corvette Discussion, Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Project Builds, Restorations

Soft Top removal to clean it

Old 05-11-2013, 11:10 PM
AsheVette
Intermediate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Soft Top removal to clean it

Hi all, my ST is MOLDY ( ) on the inside and i have fully cleaned the interior, except it. Is it a simple thing (worth doing) to detach the Fabric-Top from the Frame so i can thoroughly clean it away from the car (so as not to get water, cleaner all over the interior) ?

I saw Ecklers has replacement Fabric Top (sans frame), so am thinking if can get those on the frame-perhaps theres a way to get an existing off the frame ?

Thanks !

AV
Old 05-12-2013, 03:26 AM
waynec
Drifting

Received 28 Likes on 22 Posts

Here's my thoughts, not having done such a project...

Originally Posted by AsheVette
I saw Ecklers has replacement Fabric Top (sans frame), so am thinking if can get those on the frame-perhaps theres a way to get an existing off the frame ?
Not so easy, there are tacks through the fabric into the bow above the rear window (beneath that strip that runs across), and into the front bow beneath the w/s. If you remove the fabric (a job best done by a trim shop, and it takes them hours to accomplish), you may as well replace it with a new top rather than clean mold off the current top. And you have the opportunity to refresh the paint on the frame once the fabric is removed.

There may be commercial detailing shops that have the capability to clean the fabric using some slick method, like upholstery fabric dry-cleaning where the cleaning solution is vacuumed off as quickly as it's applied, with the same tool (kinda like rug cleaning is done, except with hand-held wands)

Or you might mask across the interior with plastic sheeting propped/draped & taped so excess liquids flow and run off outside the car (maybe with the top propped partway open for access).

Lastly, perhaps you can remove the top assembly (frame and all), turn it upside down on the driveway to clean the fabric, and then dry the frame very quickly with hair dryers.

If the latter 3 methods seem too difficult or expensive to accomplish, I'd spend the money to have new top fabric installed.
Old 05-12-2013, 08:12 AM
JoeCool66
Burning Brakes

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by waynec
perhaps you can remove the top assembly (frame and all), turn it upside down on the driveway to clean the fabric, and then dry the frame very quickly with hair dryers.
That would be my suggestion. You may get some shrinkage so be gentle. If the material is in good shape you may be okay. I'll bet you will find deterioration and a little rot (depending on age). Be prepared for a new top in your future.
Old 05-12-2013, 09:03 AM
woodsdesign
Safety Car

Received 537 Likes on 350 Posts

Having installed hundreds of Corvette tops I would not recommend removing the top fabric or frame. Just removing the fabric is CRAZY if you think you are going to reinstall it. You will have to remove hundreds of staples and release glue without ripping the material. That is almost impossible. Plus, the fabric will be weak from all the staple holes. Also, it would have to be installed exactly in the same position to look half way decent.
Removing the entire top frame is also risky. If it is not reinstalled the exact same way the you will have fitment problems. Not to mention the possibility of scratching the body during the process.

I would clean it on the car or bite the bullet and install new canvas. JMO
Old 05-12-2013, 03:47 PM
robert miller
Team Owner

Received 1,762 Likes on 1,529 Posts

Originally Posted by woodsdesign
Having installed hundreds of Corvette tops I would not recommend removing the top fabric or frame. Just removing the fabric is CRAZY if you think you are going to reinstall it. You will have to remove hundreds of staples and release glue without ripping the material. That is almost impossible. Plus, the fabric will be weak from all the staple holes. Also, it would have to be installed exactly in the same position to look half way decent.
Removing the entire top frame is also risky. If it is not reinstalled the exact same way the you will have fitment problems. Not to mention the possibility of scratching the body during the process.

I would clean it on the car or bite the bullet and install new canvas. JMO
Old 05-12-2013, 04:30 PM
Ironcross
Race Director

Received 40 Likes on 36 Posts

as explained above, its not done..but a last attempt to clean it try Ajax or Comet with a scrub brush and plenty of water
Old 05-13-2013, 01:14 PM
AsheVette
Intermediate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Thanks....yeah, i wont remove it. Looks like plastic on the interior and scrubbing is only option.

Get notified of new replies

To Soft Top removal to clean it

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Soft Top removal to clean it