C1 & C2 Corvettes General C1 Corvette & C2 Corvette Discussion, Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Project Builds, Restorations

Sunburn on inside of hood.

Search this Thread

Old 05-11-2013, 06:37 PM
JohnZ
Team Owner

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,857 Likes on 1,100 Posts

Originally Posted by C-1 Generation 2
What some friends bought for me a few years ago at a NCRS get together was a small small flag that reads"REMOVE BEFORE FLIGHT" and has a pin that insert into the hood prop to keep any gust of wind from releasing the catch.
Yup - got mine from Sporty's, and bought a 1/4" hitch pin to go in the hole in the support; it has a spring-loaded ball in the side of the pin shank that retains it in the support.
Attached Images  
Old 05-11-2013, 09:48 PM
Frankie the Fink
Team Owner

Received 7,082 Likes on 4,736 Posts
Army

Funny really. I used to use those flags all the time when working on the F-14 flight line - I think there were like 10 just in the Martin-Baker ejection seat!

Thought I was done with them...
Old 05-12-2013, 07:31 AM
mechron
Drifting

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by turbocat
Just last week there was a news story about a stainless steel dog bowl reflecting the sunlight on the wall inside a house and the house burned down.
OMG, here we go again! If the stars alighn MAYBE, JUST MAYBE a C1 air cleaner housing could be turned into a parabolic mirrior, a one in a millioin chance. On a C2 14 inch air cleaner lid--NO WAY---.

I know you build houses, so the dog bowl story--what cought fire, obviously not the sheet rock, maybe the paint over the sheet rock???

And last but not least, how in the HELL does any fire inspector determine a dog bowl started the fire after the house burned down!!!

A dog bowl in no way= a parabolic mirror. Just the opposite.

Hey Chuck, not meaning to bust your *****. How is your car doing?

Dokk came over today, we are going to that big car show in Petaluma this friday.
Old 05-12-2013, 07:37 AM
Frankie the Fink
Team Owner

Army

Since there were less than a million C2s built and this happens occasionally, obviously your statement is wrong. I think the fallacy is the thought the air cleaner has to distort and turn into some kind of star wars, laser-focused beam. The sun sweeping across the arc of the slightly curved air cleaner is enough to do it under the right conditions. I've had the underside of my C1 hood so hot from the reflection you couldn't hold your hand on it whereas the rest of the hood area was fine.
Case closed - next case.
Old 05-12-2013, 08:11 AM
BOB WINSKI
Melting Slicks

Received 84 Likes on 52 Posts

Not to change the subject but it reminds me of going to the beach and watching people put that reflective piece of card board around there neck so they can burn themselves faster,
Old 05-12-2013, 08:25 AM
Frankie the Fink
Team Owner

Army

You should see the lily-skinned, European, melanoma-magnet tourists that wander around central Florida each summer.
Just buy (or have made) one of those cloth air cleaner condoms and use it religiously and you can sleep at night.

Last edited by Frankie the Fink; 05-12-2013 at 10:53 AM.
Old 05-12-2013, 08:58 AM
RatDog
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,581 Likes on 818 Posts
2023 C2 of the Year Finalist - Unmodified
St. Jude Donor '20-'21-'22-'23-'24

If you've read all of this thread along with all of the closed thread (http://forums.corvetteforum.com/c1-a...r-cleaner.html), it's hard to ignore all of the anecdotal reports and the physical evidence.

In the closed thread, someone did a test with an air cleaner showing how the hood burning can happen (there's also more information about the dog bowl burning the house).

I'm a believer, at least about the air cleaner. Not sure about the dog bowl although the additional information in the closed thread makes it seem plausible.
Old 05-12-2013, 04:08 PM
wmf62
Race Director

Received 727 Likes on 621 Posts
St. Jude Donor '07

Originally Posted by RatDog
If you've read all of this thread along with all of the closed thread (http://forums.corvetteforum.com/c1-a...r-cleaner.html), it's hard to ignore all of the anecdotal reports and the physical evidence.

In the closed thread, someone did a test with an air cleaner showing how the hood burning can happen (there's also more information about the dog bowl burning the house).

I'm a believer, at least about the air cleaner. Not sure about the dog bowl although the additional information in the closed thread makes it seem plausible.
sounds like a case for Mythbusters..

Bill
Old 05-12-2013, 05:19 PM
BOB WINSKI
Melting Slicks

Received 84 Likes on 52 Posts

Originally Posted by wmf62
sounds like a case for Mythbusters..

Bill
Hey Bill will you volenteer your car for the Mythbusters.
Old 05-12-2013, 06:02 PM
wmf62
Race Director

St. Jude Donor '07

Originally Posted by BOB WINSKI
Hey Bill will you volenteer your car for the Mythbusters.
i don't have a shiny aircleaner, but i might consider it for a set of NOS 'dog dish' caps and new 7" wheels to fit...
Bill
Old 05-12-2013, 06:18 PM
RatDog
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,581 Likes on 818 Posts
2023 C2 of the Year Finalist - Unmodified
St. Jude Donor '20-'21-'22-'23-'24

Originally Posted by wmf62
i don't have a shiny aircleaner, but i might consider it for a set of NOS 'dog dish' caps and new 7" wheels to fit...
Bill
I hear those can burn down your house .
Old 05-12-2013, 06:23 PM
wmf62
Race Director

St. Jude Donor '07

Originally Posted by RatDog
I hear those can burn down your house .
i'm building a metal building to put them in...

Bill
Old 05-12-2013, 07:32 PM
Brian VH McHale
Melting Slicks

Received 289 Likes on 185 Posts

I don't believe the non believers.
Old 05-12-2013, 07:55 PM
MikeM
Team Owner

Received 1,843 Likes on 1,398 Posts

Originally Posted by Brian VH McHale
I don't believe the non believers.
Hey Brian. Have you read post #3?

Old 05-13-2013, 01:50 AM
Dave64
Drifting

Received 520 Likes on 192 Posts
2024 Corvette of the Year Finalist - Modified
2023 C2 of the Year Winner - Modified
2022 C2 of the Year Finalist - Unmodified
2021 C8 of the Year Finalist - Unmodified
2019 C2 of Year Finalist (appearance mods)
St. Jude Donor '19-'20-'21

I powder coated mine silver. It's not shiny like chrome now, but does go well with the polished aluminum parts on the engine. No refection to worry about.
Old 05-14-2013, 09:02 AM
65tripleblack
Safety Car

Received 235 Likes on 212 Posts

Originally Posted by ohiovet
As a followup to the recently closed thread I am posting the following:

Picture is of a hood on a 65 Corvette a friend of mine owned. The line at the upper right is the blistered paint.
It started smoking in about 5 minutes but only blistered the bottom of the hood since I closed it when I smelled the burning paint.
I think the thing that contributes to the burning is the fact that bottom of the hood is semi-flat black. If it was high gloss it would tend to reflect the heat and possibly not blister the paint.
I have told a few "new" owners of Corvettes about this and a few have ignored it and paid the price.

I currently own the car.

You should put a cover on the car when you take it out, or point the open hood towards the southern hemisphere. This is fer real, and it happened to a few guys' hoods I know.

But, the paint is so fugly that the blister line only makes it look more "interesting".

The line means that the hood was open for a long time, and the angle of the blister line shows that the car was parked outside in the northern hemisphere.

When I was a kid I used to fry ants with a magnifying glass. When I spray painted them with flat black paint, they would burn up just as fast as when I sprayed them with gloss black paint. When I spray painted them with aluminum paint, I'd tell one of my buds to hold the magnifying glass.

You should only take your car out on cloudy days, because, if the sun is powerful enough to blister your paint like that, then imagine how it's fading your carpet, drying and chalking your lakkey paint, and drying and cracking your seats and dash pads.

You can always install a full mirror on the underside of your hood just like the guys on TV who show how to add bling to your ride. Boyd Coddington and Chuck Barris would be proud of you!

This discussion reminds me of the death ray crystal in the old movie: Atlantis, The Lost Continent.

Quick Reply: Sunburn on inside of hood.