C1 & C2 Corvettes General C1 Corvette & C2 Corvette Discussion, Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Project Builds, Restorations

Sunburn on inside of hood.

Old 05-09-2013, 06:58 PM
jimh_1962
Le Mans Master

Received 545 Likes on 438 Posts
2018 C1 of Year Finalist

Originally Posted by MikeM
Gee, all this micro managing the problem.

I would have thought:

a) the reflection of the sun caused the problem

b) opening the hood with the sun at the wrong (right) angle

c) an overpolished C1 air cleaner

were the primary causes!
And thats why I do not run one!
Old 05-09-2013, 07:14 PM
vettebuyer6369
Administrator

Location: About 1100 miles from where I call home. Blue lives matter.
Received 5,318 Likes on 2,767 Posts

Regarding the angle, you can never be safe because the sun continues to move. When it happened to me, my car was sitting in the same spot for hours, but happened over a short period of time later in the day. See the picture in the OP? That's typical, as you get a straight line following the way the sun moves; mine looked just like that, with a corresponding straight bubbled line on the hood surface paint.

Mine was a '63 so I think any model with a chrome/polished air cleaner could result in this.

I bought one of those black canvas air cleaner covers with the elastic around the edge, with a Corvette logo on it. Looks nice and neat at a show and I think it was about $30. Ive used it on C1 and C2 cars.
Old 05-09-2013, 07:25 PM
AZDoug
Race Director

Received 1,478 Likes on 905 Posts
C1 of Year Finalist (performance mods) 2019
2017 C1 of Year Finalist

Originally Posted by MikeM
Gee, all this micro managing the problem.

I would have thought:

a) the reflection of the sun caused the problem

b) opening the hood with the sun at the wrong (right) angle

c) an overpolished C1 air cleaner

were the primary causes!
Well, no.

If the c1 air cleaner was perfectly flat, and it was 100% reflective (which it isn't), allowing the sun to reflect off the air cleaner onto the underside of the hood would not be any different that taking the hood off and laying it on the ground upside down in direct sunlight.

That doesn't bubble paint.

Reflected light is less intense than direct sunlight, only concentrated reflected light is the problem.

Doug
Old 05-09-2013, 08:14 PM
ohiovet
Melting Slicks

Received 167 Likes on 130 Posts
2016 C1 of Year Finalist

MikeM
Well put, simple and to the point.
Old 05-09-2013, 08:22 PM
SS409
Racer

Received 15 Likes on 8 Posts

What about the ignition shielding? Seems to me you would get a pretty good reflection off that to....
Old 05-09-2013, 08:25 PM
MikeM
Team Owner

Received 1,843 Likes on 1,398 Posts

Originally Posted by ohiovet
MikeM
Well put, simple and to the point.
I didn't know you had to understand physics to drive an old Corvette! It looks like first year Cub Scout trainining on how to start a campfire would do just as well!

See post #3.

Last edited by MikeM; 05-09-2013 at 08:30 PM.
Old 05-09-2013, 08:28 PM
turbocat
Racer

Received 14 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by JohnZ
This has been an issue since the cars were new; folks who scoff at it simply don't understand basic physics.
Just last week there was a news story about a stainless steel dog bowl reflecting the sunlight on the wall inside a house and the house burned down.
Old 05-09-2013, 08:33 PM
Frankie the Fink
Team Owner

Received 7,082 Likes on 4,736 Posts
Army

Ya know....if I can't open my hood at a cruise-in or car show I might as well stay home.
The same logic would say keep your hardtop on and the windows rolled up to save the dash pad from UV damage. Hell - just keep the whole car in the garage forever.

Screw all that....so I don't think that's the advice I'll be taking.
Old 05-09-2013, 09:06 PM
65GGvert
Team Owner

Received 3,206 Likes on 2,297 Posts

Maybe some are caused by the "parabolic effect of tightening the screw", but mine was focused by the circular area where the wing nut goes. The rest of the top is far from concave enough to focus a small area of light no matter how tight you screw it down..

Old 05-09-2013, 09:11 PM
Brian VH McHale
Melting Slicks

Received 288 Likes on 185 Posts

I don't sit in a chair behind my car, I walk around to see & talk to all. BTW I also roll up the windows on my closed car, & remove the lighter from my open car. Too careful maybe.
Originally Posted by Frankie the Fink
Ya know....if I can't open my hood at a cruise-in or car show I might as well stay home.
The same logic would say keep your hardtop on and the windows rolled up to save the dash pad from UV damage. Hell - just keep the whole car in the garage forever.

Screw all that....so I don't think that's the advice I'll be taking.
Old 05-09-2013, 09:49 PM
Redbird
Safety Car

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 567 Likes on 305 Posts
2021 C2 of the Year Finalist - Unmodified
C2 of Year Finalist (stock) 2019
2016 C2 of Year Finalist

My sister made this one for me. A couple of bucks.
Attached Images  
Old 05-09-2013, 10:45 PM
Frankie the Fink
Team Owner

Army

Well now - that is what I call an 'honest' engine compartment!
I think sis's air cleaner cover gives it just the right dash of color

And I sometimes walk around car shows but enjoy sitting, BSing with my pals, etc.. near our cars. I don't see what that has to do with the hood being up. I've worked hard to have a clean, well sorted engine compartment and really don't feel like hiding it because the sun is shining.

We usually all go to an hour long dinner every Sat evening with our hoods left up and I've never had a thing taken.
Old 05-09-2013, 11:37 PM
vettn
Pro

Received 14 Likes on 10 Posts

This happened to my 65 during a 15 minute talk with my insurance man at his office when I propped up the hood for him to see the motor while we talked. Thing is, I knew it could happen, just did not realize how fast it could happen.

Old 05-10-2013, 08:05 AM
DansYellow66
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 2,615 Likes on 1,947 Posts

Originally Posted by vettn
This happened to my 65 during a 15 minute talk with my insurance man at his office when I propped up the hood for him to see the motor while we talked. Thing is, I knew it could happen, just did not realize how fast it could happen.

Jeeeezz - almost looks like some sort of welding bead. That's a real shame.
Old 05-10-2013, 08:10 AM
RatDog
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,581 Likes on 818 Posts
2023 C2 of the Year Finalist - Unmodified
St. Jude Donor '20-'21-'22-'23-'24

Not entirely the case....its the air cleaner itself that distorts when the nuts are tightened down...not just the dime sized area under the wing nut.
How about loosening the wing nut to prevent the distortion? Would that work?

A little off-topic but still related to hood damage, I'm thinking a quick gust of wind could hit the backside of an open hood hard enough to release the support causing the hood to fall. This could also happen if someone leaned or bumped the hood. Inserting a bolt or pin into the open hole of the hood support would prevent this from happening. Does anyone do this?
Old 05-10-2013, 08:29 AM
ohiovet
Melting Slicks

Received 167 Likes on 130 Posts
2016 C1 of Year Finalist

Steve,
I have a small, 1/4-20 by 1" nylon nut and bolt which I keep in my ashtray to use as a "safety" for my hood.
Bruce B
Old 05-10-2013, 08:34 AM
Frankie the Fink
Team Owner

Army

Done it since I've had my car.....I got one of those gag "Remove Before Flight" aircraft lanyards with a pin attached and use it even in the garage through the hood support.

I saw a buddy's '62 hood slam down from a gust of wind so hard I thought sure it cracked his fiberglass - but he lucked out.

Well worth $5: http://www.ebay.com/itm/1968-1969-19...-/161014907247

Get notified of new replies

To Sunburn on inside of hood.

Old 05-10-2013, 08:38 AM
C-1 Generation 2
Melting Slicks

Received 61 Likes on 53 Posts

Originally Posted by RatDog
How about loosening the wing nut to prevent the distortion? Would that work?

A little off-topic but still related to hood damage, I'm thinking a quick gust of wind could hit the backside of an open hood hard enough to release the support causing the hood to fall. This could also happen if someone leaned or bumped the hood. Inserting a bolt or pin into the open hole of the hood support would prevent this from happening. Does anyone do this?
What some friends bought for me a few years ago at a NCRS get together was a small small flag that reads"REMOVE BEFORE FLIGHT" and has a pin that insert into the hood prop to keep any gust of wind from releasing the catch.
Old 05-10-2013, 09:14 AM
65tripleblack
Safety Car

Received 235 Likes on 212 Posts

Originally Posted by ohiovet
As a followup to the recently closed thread I am posting the following:

Picture is of a hood on a 65 Corvette a friend of mine owned. The line at the upper right is the blistered paint.
It started smoking in about 5 minutes but only blistered the bottom of the hood since I closed it when I smelled the burning paint.
I think the thing that contributes to the burning is the fact that bottom of the hood is semi-flat black. If it was high gloss it would tend to reflect the heat and possibly not blister the paint.
I have told a few "new" owners of Corvettes about this and a few have ignored it and paid the price.

I currently own the car.

The paint is so ugly that the blister line only makes it look more "interesting".

The line means that the hood was open for a long time, and the angle of the blister line shows that the car was parked outside in the northern hemisphere.

When I was a kid I used to fry ants with a magnifying glass. When I spray painted them with flat black paint, they would burn up just as fast as when I sprayed them with gloss black paint. When I spray painted them with aluminum paint, I'd tell one of my buds to hold the magnifying glass.

You should only take your car out on cloudy days, because, if the sun is powerful enough to blister your paint like that, then imagine how it's fading your interior carpet, drying and chalking your lakkey paint, and dessicating and cracking your seats and dash pads.

You can always install a full mirror on the underside of your hood just like the guys on TV who show how to add bling to your ride. Boyd Coddington and Chuck Barris would be proud of you!

This discussion reminds me of the death ray crystal in the old movie: Atlantis, The Lost Continent.

Last edited by 65tripleblack; 05-10-2013 at 02:32 PM.
Old 05-11-2013, 08:51 AM
RatDog
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,581 Likes on 818 Posts
2023 C2 of the Year Finalist - Unmodified
St. Jude Donor '20-'21-'22-'23-'24

Done it since I've had my car.....I got one of those gag "Remove Before Flight" aircraft lanyards with a pin attached and use it even in the garage through the hood support.

I saw a buddy's '62 hood slam down from a gust of wind so hard I thought sure it cracked his fiberglass - but he lucked out.

Well worth $5: http://www.ebay.com/itm/1968-1969-19...-/161014907247
Thanks! Just ordered one, $6.70 including shipping .

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Sunburn on inside of hood.