C1 & C2 Corvettes General C1 Corvette & C2 Corvette Discussion, Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Project Builds, Restorations

Do I have to remove the doors for a body Lift?

Search this Thread

Old 05-06-2013, 02:25 PM
midaoutlaw
Intermediate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Do I have to remove the doors for a body Lift?

I have done the restoration on my roadster *** backwards... mainly because the engine and transmission had been rebuilt just prior to my purchase and the frame was solid. I restored the engine bay components, re-chromed the bumpers, installed a new interior, restored the dash and gauges, doors and window mechanics rebuilt, new paint, weather stripping replaced, new teak wheel, etc... Now I want to remove the body to restore the frame and chassis parts to be as fresh as the rest of the car. I bought Noland's books & dvd, built my cart, read all the discussions on this forum...almost ready to lift, but...

It seems everyone removes the doors and hood before the lift, then run a support cable in the door jams. I have a mechanical lift to get the body off so I'm not worried about the weight. Would it not make sense to leave the doors and hood "on" and latched to add to the total support/rigidity of the body? Heck, for that matter, latch on the hard top on too.

I would really appreciate your advise/insights. I would hate to break something at this stage.

Thanks!

Last edited by midaoutlaw; 05-06-2013 at 02:26 PM. Reason: wrong word used
Old 05-06-2013, 02:44 PM
TC233
CF Senior Fox Bat
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 616 Likes on 359 Posts

Originally Posted by midaoutlaw
I have done the restoration on my roadster *** backwards... mainly because the engine and transmission had been rebuilt just prior to my purchase and the frame was solid. I restored the engine bay components, re-chromed the bumpers, installed a new interior, restored the dash and gauges, doors and window mechanics rebuilt, new paint, weather stripping replaced, new teak wheel, etc... Now I want to remove the body to restore the frame and chassis parts to be as fresh as the rest of the car. I bought Noland's books & dvd, built my cart, read all the discussions on this forum...almost ready to lift, but...

It seems everyone removes the doors and hood before the lift, then run a support cable in the door jams. I have a mechanical lift to get the body off so I'm not worried about the weight. Would it not make sense to leave the doors and hood "on" and latched to add to the total support/rigidity of the body? Heck, for that matter, latch on the hard top on too.

I would really appreciate your advise/insights. I would hate to break something at this stage.

Thanks!
Anything that adds to the structural integrity on an old car is a good thing. So yes keep doors etc in place, as you lift see if any of the door spaces are opening or closing, that tells you if you are lifting in the right spots and if you need more support elsewhere as you lift.
Old 05-06-2013, 07:49 PM
MiguelsC2
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 13 Likes on 13 Posts
St. Jude Donor '10-'12-'13

Originally Posted by TC233
Anything that adds to the structural integrity on an old car is a good thing. So yes keep doors etc in place, as you lift see if any of the door spaces are opening or closing, that tells you if you are lifting in the right spots and if you need more support elsewhere as you lift.

Old 05-06-2013, 08:03 PM
67vetteal
Melting Slicks

Received 99 Likes on 39 Posts

I agree too! AL W.
Old 05-07-2013, 07:02 AM
midaoutlaw
Intermediate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by TC233
Thanks everyone.

Get notified of new replies

To Do I have to remove the doors for a body Lift?

Quick Reply: Do I have to remove the doors for a body Lift?