C1 & C2 Corvettes General C1 Corvette & C2 Corvette Discussion, Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Project Builds, Restorations

59 exhaust system replacement

Search this Thread

Old 04-16-2013, 07:04 PM
59vetteman
Racer

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts

Default 59 exhaust system replacement

Any tips on replacing the complete exhaust system on my 59? I purchased it from C-Central, if that's any help. Looking as far as if any bends would need to be re-shaped, which end to start from (engine or rear bumper). Any tips appreciated. BTW, I do not have a lift, only jacks and stands. Just wondering if to attempt this myself or carry over to a local exhaust shop and let them install.
Old 04-16-2013, 07:12 PM
John S 1961
Melting Slicks

Received 200 Likes on 140 Posts

For me it depends on how much enthusiasm I can muster for crawlling around on the concrete floor and working on my back. Exhaust systems never just "fit right in" and take alot of fiddling, banging grinding fit and refit. I used to be OK with that, I am 50 now and not so much. I will do anything I can do standing on my feet, at a stool (like brakes) or even upside down inside the car. But I notice I really put off things I have to do lying on my back under a grimy car (even though I will still do it) I just really procrastinate! So I would go over to the muffler shop.
Old 04-16-2013, 08:42 PM
59vetteman
Racer

Yeah John, I be 60 in May, it's not as much fun as it used to be
Old 04-16-2013, 09:24 PM
65Bob-bo
Pro

Received 84 Likes on 46 Posts
2021 C1 of the Year Finalist - Unmodified

I bought the oil and filter and paid $20 for a car club member who has a shop to keep me from laying on my back, disposing of used oil, gathering up blowing newspapers, cleaning up drips, etc.......and, walked under my '65 and did a mini inspection. So much easier.
Old 04-16-2013, 11:59 PM
chris ritchie
Melting Slicks

Received 85 Likes on 65 Posts

I too bought a complete exhaust system and decided to install it myself with me on a creeper and the car on jackstands. The system was from a well respected supplier with a reputation for making systems that fit. And the system did fit well. But I didn't have the fixtures, and I was doing he work myself.

I spent many hours scurrying back and forth under the car. I'd fit a pipe in the front and secure it. Then I'd scurry back to the rear, and fit that part. Then the front wouldn't fit so great anymore. Back and forth. Forth and back. After many hours, I gave up, and brought it to a shop. The mechanic there spent over an hour going back and forth. But he had helpers and stands to hold one thing in place while he fiddled with another. He still spent a fair amount of time fiddling with this. But he made progress. I didn't.

I hate exhaust rattles. Clearances are pretty close in there.
Old 04-17-2013, 01:17 AM
Waffle
Instructor
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Paid to have mine put in...just got it back and it looks/fits great. I didn't even think about doing it myself for all the above reasons.... heck I didn't even like tearing the old one out to take the body off!
Old 04-17-2013, 08:46 AM
blackvette58
Advanced

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I did mine a few months ago. Started from the rear and worked my way to the front. Everything went properly and smoothly. Working under the car was no problem. But speaking of working under the car, just recently bled the brakes. Even with speed bleeders it was messy and arduous. Next step: under the dash to deal with wiring issues. Age: 71
Old 04-17-2013, 02:06 PM
Pilot Dan
Le Mans Master

Received 429 Likes on 319 Posts

This is a very doable job yourself even with jack stands (4). I installed the complete Corvette Central aluminized dual system in my 59 more than 20 years ago. As I remember, no problems at all, went in perfect. Just take your time to make sure all the pipes are EXACTLY where you want them before tightening any of the clamps. I would also recommend the correct complete exhaust hanger kit be used as well for best results. Pilot Dan

ps. After 20 + years the system still looks like new. Very pleased with the quality as well.
Old 04-17-2013, 06:48 PM
LouieM
Race Director

Received 3,049 Likes on 1,254 Posts

I've installed my own complete exhaust systems and also had them installed at a shop. As others here have noted, it is a very time-consuming PITA to get everything aligned and tight by yourself. I'd definitely take it to a shop.
Old 04-17-2013, 08:46 PM
59vetteman
Racer

Thanks everyone, to the shop it will go!!

Get notified of new replies

To 59 exhaust system replacement

Quick Reply: 59 exhaust system replacement