C1 & C2 Corvettes General C1 Corvette & C2 Corvette Discussion, Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Project Builds, Restorations

shifter boot

Search this Thread

Old 04-05-2013, 07:03 PM
stmyrick
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default shifter boot

I need a new shifter boot for my 67. Do I need to also buy one of the "gaskets" that I see in the catalogs also? Are these boots easy to install?
Old 04-05-2013, 09:27 PM
Pillman7
Racer

Received 11 Likes on 5 Posts

You do not have to buy the gasket which is actually a metal piece which when screwed down holds the boot in place. When I replaced mine my "gasket" was rusted badly, so I would suggest that if that is the case with yours that you replace it. As far as installation goes it is pretty simple. You will have to remove the console(it is easier if you unscrew the ball on the shifter). Then you just remove the screws, lift up the "gasket", remove the boot. Then position the new boot and gasket and put the screws back in. Then reinstall the console.
Old 04-05-2013, 10:41 PM
nassau66427
Safety Car

Location: going faster miles an hour...with the radio on in browns mills new jersey
Received 71 Likes on 45 Posts

You'll also need to remove the radio side panels.

Be very careful when pulling the console out as the side panel retainer clips (if still present) on the console will try to cut your dash pads.
Old 04-08-2013, 04:31 PM
stmyrick
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default parking brake?

do I have to remove the parking brake handle too?
Thanks everyone!
Old 04-08-2013, 08:45 PM
Nova Joe
Intermediate

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

I've had my '67 console out several times. Put the tranny in 2nd or 4th, remove the shifter ball (I remove the reverse lockout T and spring--not really necessary but one less thing to get hooked on) and gently move the console rearward and upward enough to clear the shifter. I leave the parking brake off.
Old 04-08-2013, 08:59 PM
skids
Drifting

Received 153 Likes on 110 Posts

Originally Posted by nassau66427
You'll also need to remove the radio side panels.

Be very careful when pulling the console out as the side panel retainer clips (if still present) on the console will try to cut your dash pads.
Very true. I cut out the center of a cool whip container lid to use as a shim. Wedge it between console and pads before removing console.

Get notified of new replies

To shifter boot

Quick Reply: shifter boot