C1 & C2 Corvettes General C1 Corvette & C2 Corvette Discussion, Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Project Builds, Restorations

Repair Fiberglass on door

Search this Thread

Old 03-31-2013, 03:34 PM
IndyPace
Advanced

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Default Repair Fiberglass on door

I have a 66 coupe. A 3" piece of fiberglass around the lower regular bolt on the passenger door has broken off with the bolt in the center. How do I repair this spot since it is a stress area with the window going up and down?
Old 03-31-2013, 06:44 PM
DansYellow66
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 2,617 Likes on 1,949 Posts

Do you mean on the rear of the door in the jamb area? Probably the bolt that secures the rear window channel? It may have broke out due to a poorly done, prior repair. But yes, it can be refiberglassed and repaired just fine. If you haven't done fiberglass work you will have to find someone who has or learn to do it yourself. Basically the broken area has to be cleaned up and the the edges of the break ground down to bevel them back about 1/2 to 1 inch. Then build a form of some sort on the inside surface of the repair area. A piece of foil or wax paper covered, stiff cardboard taped to the inside surface will work. You will need some fiberglass mat (the random woven type mat - not fiberglass cloth) and a quart of polyester resin. You will need a fiberglass mat roller to roll the layers of mat and resin down and compact them.

I ran a copy of a portion of Eckler's fiberglass repair manual for a couple of board members a week or so ago. It describes the process in good detail. If you want to PM me with your email I can forward a scan copy of it to you. It's probably easier to do than trying to describe the entire process here.
Old 03-31-2013, 08:54 PM
67vetteal
Melting Slicks

Received 99 Likes on 39 Posts

If the break is on the inside panel you can use epoxy to glue it back in place. Epoxy holds Fiberglass together just fine. The repair will be stronger than the area was before. Al W. A photo would help.
Old 04-01-2013, 09:54 AM
Scott Marzahl
Le Mans Master

Received 194 Likes on 149 Posts

I know you specifically said lower regulator bolt and those four bolts are located on inner the side of the door, near the front and low,and there should be a metal reinforcement plate between the door and the regulator. If this is the location you should be able to dish grind that area out and lay in some new glass pretty easy.
Old 04-02-2013, 12:51 AM
IndyPace
Advanced

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Thanks. Sounds like a good Idea to try Epoxy first. If is doesn't work I can alway try a fiberglass repair. My concern was the stress as the screw goes right through the area that broke away

Last edited by IndyPace; 04-02-2013 at 12:53 AM.

Get notified of new replies

To Repair Fiberglass on door

Quick Reply: Repair Fiberglass on door