C1 & C2 Corvettes General C1 Corvette & C2 Corvette Discussion, Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Project Builds, Restorations

Car judging - Should I?

Search this Thread

Old 03-17-2013, 12:06 PM
tuxnharley
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,941 Likes on 1,187 Posts

Do so only if you have inherently masochistic tendencies. If so, enjoy the "pain"!

Old 03-17-2013, 12:14 PM
62Jeff
Tech Contributor
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 48 Likes on 38 Posts

Originally Posted by jimmies63
Since I don't have a jack at all right now, maybe i will opt for the Pirelli P Zero 17" run-flats and not bother with a jack at all let alone worry about original vs. repop.
Several of my new cars have come from the factory with this in the trunk in place of a spare, and I plan to add one to my 65 - which doesn't carry a spare.
http://www.tirerack.com/accessories/...65&PID=3144498
Old 03-17-2013, 01:07 PM
jimmies63
Burning Brakes
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 103 Likes on 40 Posts
2020 C8 of the Year Finalist - Modified
St. Jude Donor '12-'13-'14,'17, '20-'21

Originally Posted by 62Jeff
Several of my new cars have come from the factory with this in the trunk in place of a spare, and I plan to add one to my 65 - which doesn't carry a spare.
http://www.tirerack.com/accessories/...65&PID=3144498
Wife's Bimmer has them. Pretty useful until you have to replace one!
Old 03-17-2013, 02:04 PM
Nowhere Man
Team Owner

Received 6,993 Likes on 4,810 Posts
2015 C2 of Year Finalist

Wife's Bimmer has them. Pretty useful until you have to replace one!
also for a hint. parts like a jack and other easy removed parts if you don't have one and you have friend that does. well you can figure it out your self
Old 03-17-2013, 06:44 PM
W Guy
Drifting

Received 178 Likes on 133 Posts

My car is almost done after 15 mos in the shop. We restored and replaced everything to 'stock'. We replaced the block with a correct date block and all the parts

I know it won't ever get near a top flight because of the block (but I may restamp and declare it a restamp) and the AC, but is it worth getting it judged anyway to see how close we got and how we could make it a little better? I read the story in the latest restorer mag where the guy got his car judged against any odds of getting anything just for the experience.

It looks like a lot of time to get the car judged and I wouldn't want to be wasting the judges time. There is a show coming up in June I thought I would take it to.

Any thoughts appreciated.
If your intention during the restoration process was to get it "as original", then (with ANY car) you should want to place it in a judging venue where your kind of car is gone over by knowledgable judges for that kind of car. Those judges will let you know what is correct and what is not. What you do with that information is up to you.

Verne
Old 03-18-2013, 01:44 PM
DanielJ
Instructor

Received 148 Likes on 47 Posts
2021 C1 of the Year Finalist - Unmodified
2017 C2 of Year Finalist

I've read many of your posts on the restoration of your 63. I think you have done a great job. You mention that your process of restoration is to "stock" specifications. Great! Did you use the latest NCRS JG for your "road map" to get the car to stock? If not, would suggest that this judging guide be studied and compare to what you have completed on your car thus far, and, remember, it is a guide, and only a guide which contains the "best" information to date.....

If you have not already, get involved with your local chapter of NCRS. You will need to register your car in advance to have it formally judged and there may be some wiggle room here as well. While the car is being judged, you need to be with your car to get it ready for judging and to answer questions as well as to get the explanations about items that are suspect in terms of how they appeared while the car was on the show room floor.

All in all, the experience you have while the car is judged is clearly up to you. Going into this process with eyes wide open and with a good attitude will go a long way. Judges are people too, and they have good days and bad. Most important, have fun while you are in this process and learn as much as you can.
Old 03-18-2013, 01:55 PM
MCMLXI
Burning Brakes

Received 88 Likes on 49 Posts
Finalist 2022 C1 of the Year - Unmodified
2020 C1 of the Year Finalist - Unmodified
C1 of Year Finalist (stock) 2019
C1 of the Year Finalist
Finalist 2022 C1 of the Year - Unmodified

Originally Posted by DanielJ
I've read many of your posts on the restoration of your 63. I think you have done a great job. You mention that your process of restoration is to "stock" specifications. Great! Did you use the latest NCRS JG for your "road map" to get the car to stock? If not, would suggest that this judging guide be studied and compare to what you have completed on your car thus far, and, remember, it is a guide, and only a guide which contains the "best" information to date.....

If you have not already, get involved with your local chapter of NCRS. You will need to register your car in advance to have it formally judged and there may be some wiggle room here as well. While the car is being judged, you need to be with your car to get it ready for judging and to answer questions as well as to get the explanations about items that are suspect in terms of how they appeared while the car was on the show room floor.

All in all, the experience you have while the car is judged is clearly up to you. Going into this process with eyes wide open and with a good attitude will go a long way. Judges are people too, and they have good days and bad. Most important, have fun while you are in this process and learn as much as you can.

and, if you join the NCRS, you can download the judging sheets from the NCRS website to "pre-judge" the car yourself - this combined with the Judging Guide Book - will help you minimize any surprises that you may have on judging day ....

Remember - this is all for fun - enjoy your car - and don't get too wound up over the judging process - your car is already beautiful

Old 03-18-2013, 02:23 PM
csherman
Le Mans Master

Received 1,460 Likes on 742 Posts
C1 of Year Finalist (stock) 2019
2018 C1 of Year Finalist

just like in life and at work and in business - Set a goal .....
I did - I set three very distinct goals
That gave me something to work towards

agree with above - 99% of the judges are great
Good ones know your nervous and good ones take the time to make you feel at ease
and good ones help you
which in turn I take all my knowledge and pass it on and mentor others.....

Fooling judges - sure it is - we are trying to make a car look it came from the factory
Hard to do....but well worth the time and it is fun !!!
Old 03-18-2013, 07:14 PM
jimmies63
Burning Brakes
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 103 Likes on 40 Posts
2020 C8 of the Year Finalist - Modified
St. Jude Donor '12-'13-'14,'17, '20-'21

Originally Posted by Blu72

and, if you join the NCRS, you can download the judging sheets from the NCRS website to "pre-judge" the car yourself - this combined with the Judging Guide Book - will help you minimize any surprises that you may have on judging day ....

Remember - this is all for fun - enjoy your car - and don't get too wound up over the judging process - your car is already beautiful

Joined the NCRS a while ago. Just joined the local chapter as I sent off a check for the show and request a judging slot. About to order te judging guide and go over the car wit a few months left.

Most of the work to date has been at the guidance of larocks resto shop and Keen parts for authentic repro parts. The AC makes it a bust for any serious award but getting close will make me happy. Not worried about what the judges will say. It will all be good and I'll get a day talking corvettes.
Old 03-18-2013, 07:18 PM
stall
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I certainly agree; I did it once, never again. IMHO getting a car judged is only for people who feel that they need more useless agravation in their lives. If you view your Vette as a museum piece and not a fun car then go for it.

Originally Posted by GCD1962
Drive the car and have fun, otherwise you will get all bent out of shape when all those in the know pick the car apart to pieces.
Old 03-18-2013, 07:26 PM
Mike Ward
Race Director

Received 30 Likes on 28 Posts

The AC makes it a bust for any serious award
I think you'll be pleasantly surprised. Add-on A/C is not that big of a deduct.
Old 03-18-2013, 07:38 PM
JBrooke825
Drifting

Received 233 Likes on 158 Posts
2018 C3 of Year Finalist

you should go ahead and do it' chapter level is for learning. I have 4
top flight blue ribbons. what got to me after a while was each year
they found something else to pick apart. what you fixed last year didn't matter. what ended it for me was the dum-dum under the emblems .
I new that was the end for me. forget the jack it is a small deduct.
very expensive to keep up. but you do learn a lot and that 's what
it's about. my best score was 96% in my third year. go for it.

Quick Reply: Car judging - Should I?