C1 & C2 Corvettes General C1 Corvette & C2 Corvette Discussion, Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Project Builds, Restorations

Anyone remember a Cloyde Angell?

Search this Thread

Old 03-15-2013, 05:25 PM
TCracingCA
Team Owner

Received 1,679 Likes on 1,002 Posts

Default Anyone remember a Cloyde Angell? Or Subsequent Owners!

Updating in march 2014, I was working on better organizing my Ownership history, which I have maintained in this thread. I discovered some new things and had to eliminate an Ownership that I thought had pertained to the car! Instead of an edit, I accidently quoted myself and shot it back to the current! Since someone resurrected this old thread recently and me by mistake yesterday. I am still chasing down leads, and I still have stuff to post up once I have the thread more organized! Thus having this thread has led to some contacts who shared some of what they remembered.

Now i just had my 2015 birthday and i actually have two C2 Roadster race cars and because I used the one to rebuild the other, I tried to combine there histories (maybe wrongly, but the 1963/4 former David cormany car is built up from the 1963 Ex-Cloyde Angell car).Thus the corvette Race car registry would probably develop a migraine trying to post my cars!

In December 2015-

This is my Ownership Thread , which is a work in progress for both my 1963 race car and my 1963/4 Roadster and contains what I have researched related to the cars!

Early Ownership Summary: (1963 Car- my second car!)
Cloyde Angell was definitely an early Owner (now possibly the second) and he competed in the Southern California Slalom Championships. Then after the car was wrecked, it was picked up I believe by Lincoln Corvettes in the State of Washington. I don't know if it was bought by them direct or there was another Ownership in between. I do know Lincoln scoured the West Coast for cars. They were the largest yard for wrecked Corvettes on the Pacific Ocean side of the Country, maybe the entire Country! Then it appears the car was purchased and brought back down to Southern California and I bought it from that owner, who just had it parked on his property.

Cloyde Angell Chapter:
In regards to Cloyde Angell, I have a 1965 California Registration Card with his name and my Vin. From what I have learned, he competed as one of the top slalom guys in Slalom Events For the Marina Del Rey Corvette and Corvair Club from at least 1965 thru 1967, and into the very early 1968 year. He also worked with the WSCC and was an Officer at the 1967 Convention and with the SCCSCC, he was a Vice Chairman for the parent Organization that organized the Slalom Championships in 1967. But after mid1968, the car was sold sometime between May 1968 and the mid 1969 season. I do not see that the car competed in the SCCSCC Slalom Championships for 1969/70 seasons.
In these Slalom Events held here in Southern California, he ran against the likes of Wingate, Lister, Sloma, Hedekin, Roach, Fuller, etc. back in the day. From a contact by an old acquaintenance of Cloyde's, he had obligations being in the Marine Corp and might have been sent to Vietnam which ended his competition history! I also checked throughout the Country to see if he had relocated, and found nothing. It looks like the family is still California based, but he passed in 2005. Additionally I was told that he had come back on military leave a few times and visited with the slalom crowd and took some runs in a borrowed car.I would like to find out who lent him a ride, because I located a picture of him competing in either a 1968/69 Corvette? He had our car serviced a few times by DANA Chevrolet where Dick Guldstrand handled the performance shop for customers during it's Slalom career era! Thus I would like to know if the C3 was his in the picture, or whether it was one of the other Competitors cars, because I was also told that he may have traded in the 1963 for a C3 model and possibly dealt through Dana Chevrolet in South Gate. In posts below I had put up Competition results and pictures of the car at some of those 1960's events. Here is the best picture that I have:

I also have a bunch of trophies (and more not pictured) that were from Angell's competition in the Slalom along with another Slalom Championship trophy I pictured below also from the Cloyde Angell era along with other Slalom plaques mostly still on the trophies or loose.

The Dana Frame I have and shown is of the later vintage 1968/69 cars. This is the only late year frame, that I have ever seen. The earlier ones have the ears! And I pictured the 1966 Cloyde Angell log book (novice). Also the car might have ran one actual race, but not with Angell driving!

David Cormany/Reierson/Steve Sloma Chapter: (My 1963/4 Car, my first car)
In 1968, I believed the car was brokered through Don Steves Chevrolet to the next Owner, David Cormany/Reierson (forget his first name, will have to add it) who built the car with the help of Bill Thomas to compete in Regional races at Riverside International, Ontario Motor Speedway, and Willow springs competing in 7 events known to me in 1970 and won 5 of them in both the 1969/70 years, before a crash. The famous Bill Thomas tuned all of the Don Steves Chevrolet cars going back to the famous Davey MacDonald which made them winners from the late 50's!

In regards to this period, I have found two stories, the first being from Cormany that I read or studied and the other from Don Steves of Don Steves Chevrolet and a member of the Reiersons family.

The Cormany version is in a partnership with a Reierson acquired the car in 1968 and worked on it for almost two years, and finally fielded it at Riverside in late 1969. By 1970 another partnership was formed with a Steve Sloma, who I believe was the brother of the famous racer Rich Sloma. Steve lived down on the coast and also drove in certain events.
The second story was what Don Steves remembered and also with some input I received from a relative of Reierson- which was that the car was brokered with the help of Don Steves, and it was readied fairly quickly with the help of his Dealership doing the paint, and Bill Thomas doing the engine. This old slalom car was built into a track race car in a matter of months, but missing most of the 1969 season. Don Steves just remembers a big rush to get it ready for the Riverside Raceway- Los Angeles Times Grand Prix event weekend. He did not remember where they found it. Also about the Reierson and the Sloma connections, he did not remember the details. And lastly because he took it in, he actually had a box of stuff for it (which I pictured above and below).

The car was painted bright yellow (Corvette Daytona Yellow was the hot new dealership color for 1970- so we know it was definitely painted in later 1969, since this color wasn't available previously and unknown to the public and dealerships). As I said, the car won five Regional races, but then was unfortunately crashed and I believe "not" due to the driver, but oil down on the track-- Because Dave Cormany was a damn good driver and would later buy one of the ex-James Garner AIR Corvette L-88 cars maintained by Dick Guldstrand and he would compete at the ARRC National Championships placing third in 1972 (and I have that Medallion from that podium placement)! Thus the car is a regional level car and not national, so I wasn't finding it listed in the SCCA magazines of the day, but it was mentioned in the local Cal Club newsletters etc. in 1969/70.

My car as raced at RIR 1969.

Here are "some" of the SCCA Regional competition plaques for my car, in it's unfortunately short racing career for 1969/70's and I have those programs associated with these events. I also have a few of the Cormany era trophies! An example of my research, is at the Ontario Motor Speedway event, they both raced it in different heats with different numbers (Cormany #5, and Sloma #55). The National level cars had a specific race called the Challenge Cup that weekend, and the Regionals were run in separate heats but the participants in general were issued the same plaque!

I also have the flags!

Here it is on track coming up on a Coupe.

Here is what happened to it!

As crashed at RIR

After the crash, this caused him to sale the car at a big discount. Thus they offered it For Sale in and around November and December of 1971 listing both phone numbers (Cormany and Sloma). The asking price was $995, but I believe the purchase price was $950.

The next Ownership link, I thought was Bob Conners/Steve Schwab for the 1963/4 car. After talking to the Schwab's by email, there are some crucial differences and so I am discounting that possible connection for now. So I removed that suspected history on my car. I do own parts off of that particular car, that I acquired when I purchased my car. I believe Doty Conners crashed the car in 1975, and these are the broken pieces that were replaced which I have fixed. My car had the same front spoiler on it as the Conners/Schwab car and the engine was a large cube small block that was blown, which I ultimately sold. As I dig out data/information I will update this post!!!!!! I am also putting it back together in an easier to follow format. And will be adding the newest Ownership.

It was nice that I had memorabilia from the Owner who sold me the car. I was in the US Navy back in the early 1980's and had saved a large amount of money to get a Corvette. I had a car also (a Rod Simpson Porsche 914 V-8) that I sold also to raise the funds. I was trying to hang on to my 1969 Z-28 (LeMans Blue car). I went to all of the Corvette guys in this Socal area- JD Corvette, Guldstrand, etc. and got inform on anything that might be for sale. I looked at about 10 race or modified cars and finally settled on my 1964. I had it down at the Naval Base in the garages they allow sailors to use for car repairs at 32nd Street Naval Station. Thus I worked on it for a couple of years living down in San Diego. I sold the Camaro to finish the Corvette and also bought a Crotch Rocket Suzuki! Thus for a period, I got into the racing Motorcycles!

I when i was in the Navy stationed up in Mare Island, I hung out with this club and almost joined (but i was given a Patch for my jacket, that i never quite got sewed on- but i still have it and i have a whole video of one of the slaloms that i attended!), but didn't join because i was reassigned and stationed elsewhere, so I was moved away. So in total, I have ran a little with 4 different Clubs [Corvette Supersports (I have a Jacket), NCCA (I have a Patch), Asebring San Diego (I have a member Plaque), and GRA (I partially picked up the bill for some dead beats who forgot their Bar tabs!)]. I basically with all four of these was not particularly fond of the older gray haired crowd!

I think this was while up north with NCCA!

In 1987, I attempted to get into Vintage Racing with VARA at both Riverside International Raceway and then at Willow Springs. But at that time they weren't accepting of the fender flares and told me that I would have to cut them off or I would be running with the McLarens and Lolas, etc.. I was also alot faster than all of the other BP cars that were competing on those weekends, which wasn't too popular! They also wanted me to go thru a refresher course for licensing, and thought my Bondurant Schooling was too old (1980) for giving a current waiver to compete. So the car was loaded up back onto the trailer twice after getting some laps in with VARA (Riverside was where they contested the license, and Willow Springs were they didn't like the modified state in which the car was built). Therefore I was racing it in the Canyons alot after that and put the nose on it to get it back so I could use it for the Street. In the 1990's I did one Slalom event, but DQ'd because the clutch stud ball broke screwed into the engine block and I loaded it and left. Then in the mid to late 90's I did timed lapping events with like the old TCRA (the retired race car group) and made one attempt to get into VARA again at Willow Springs where the car is pictured below.

But I have had some serious life events and setbacks in my defense! So the car has sat for over 10 years in the garage and during this time, I decided to up the build and go with a level of performance with intent originally to run it in the Silver State Challenge. Thus I have a 200mph car build happening, but am retaining the road race suspension and stuff. Then in the 2002/3 when I joined the forum, I thought of trying the HSR and others, and possibly VARA again. Thus I started to check into that, and have talked alot with those groups (mainly the racers) as to what they required.

Here is a picture in 1990 with me driving some laps and one of my friends Cary G. was trading off for some laps in my car! We thought Cary was going to get to race in the fast car race (McLarens, Lolas, Big Blocks, etc.), but they DQ'd the car. No jokes please, but I loved my wink mirror (vintage 80's all of the way)! You can see I still hadn't put headlights back on it yet! I had replaced the nose & spoiler completely, buying a unit from Jaime at JD Corvette and swapping the front flares over to the new nose, but not the spoiler!

My Search for past documentation!

In late 2002, I took an interest have never taken an interest in the precise history until late 2002 and finally put this information up on an impulse in 2013, because I started considering getting the car into the upcoming August 2013 Monterey Corvette Reunion. But to do so, the cars have to have a pedigree. Thus to be considered, you have to present your history. Thus I will be missing Monterey entry because it is fast approaching and the car would not have been ready, but I thought it was time to put the Ownership chain together.

And I have been adding to it the histories of the cars, as I am contacted, or find information on the cars! Also the original sole purpose for joining the forum back in 2002, was for the purpose of finding information on my cars! But my initial thread inquiries about the logbook shown above (the SCCA Novice Green one pictured- Cloyde Angell, but the picture customarily stapled inside, wasn't with it) caused some negative interactions with two guys who claimed logbooks didn't start until 1971! But through research, some regions used these Novice Logs while a driver was in training, but the formal SCCA log books (usually powder blue in color) basically did show up around 1971.

At that time (10+ years ago) I only had two magazine copies which covered the SoCal Region stuff- Cal Club), but not the months or years that covered when my car 1st car ran. And because the records are so scarce, I then quickly lost interest in researching for awhile. At about this same time, my Aunt started a Family geneology project, so I jumped in to help her and got caught up in that. Thus growing up, none of this mattered (the truly ancient history of the Family or where the car had been and what it ran in)till about this time frame in 2002. Naturally I always knew it was a former race car from the parts on/with the car, and for my second car, I found nothing on this Cloyde Angell initially, especially no SCCA racing record. I also thought the stuff I had with the car was cool. I am glad I stored this stuff and didn't toss it all!

Because they are both race cars, there were a number of cars that I had researched and stopped following until about 7 or 8 years ago, when I found some more Magazine issues for the Socal Region, which caused me to focus on three cars initially from the 70's and 80's that were possibilities for my first car (Rollie Jacobs, Ross Lowande, etc. and it could still be one of their cars). Because nothing was matching up exactly, it seemed like I was running into dead ends (wrong paths) which was frustrating, and I didn't have the source to research it thoroughly or have the ability to do so because of the limited information available from that era (60's thru till the 80's). Also because the Cormany name wasn't coming up in the SCCA magazines related to a C2, initially I discounted his association with my car primarily because his name was only coming up related to the C3 race car. (1972 SCCA magazines/records). I now see that he would have had to take all of the steps to get licensed and it connects with the 1968/69 period and then he was only racing at the regional level, which is where a new driver would have started. Also I didn't have records to uncover that early competition, because the general Magazines didn't cover Regionals.

2006- I came across the C2 picture with him (Cormany) and Don Steves sponsorship, thus I visited Don Steves Chevrolet in 2007, before they lost their Chevrolet Dealership rights and I got some leads from just a few guys there that had worked with the dealership long term. I also saw that this car was believed to be a 1963 and my Vin is a 1964, thus again I basically discounted Cormany, but then my car on the registeration has it as a 1963, when I first bought it. It is an early 1964, made in 1963. Thus on just a few repeat visits (2007-2008) and after taking the car into the dealership twice, that led me to meeting and talking with Don Steves himself. In turn this led to some records turning up and the history,etc. Thus about 4 years ago or so (2009), I finally figured out who's car it was being David Cormany.

Last edited by TCracingCA; 05-22-2021 at 10:54 PM. Reason: Updating as I learn about the car!
Old 05-16-2013, 12:34 PM
Media Chick
1st Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Yes! I knew Cloyde Angell....very well. He passed away from a rare form of skin cancer in 2005. I worked with him, in (my) early working days, back in the 80's, and I knew his family. I adored him, and I miss him very much.
Old 05-16-2013, 09:04 PM
TCracingCA
Team Owner

Default Thanks for the reply.

For the Angel Slalom car, I have an old registration card (1965) found, but in recent years acquired literature that showed him listed competing in the Socal Slalom scene, where he actually was a front runner in our 1963 roadster.

Also thanks to two private emails from a guy that raced him, the car was traded in, he thought for the newer C3 model. As far as trading in, my father did the same thing getting rid of his hot metallic purple C2 1964 coupe for the Gold Dana Chevrolet mods T-top C3. I am looking for the purple car, but have no information on my Dad's Vin!

Thus I wish I could go back pre-2005 and talk with him (Angel) about the car! Thank you for the reply. I almost missed it, since this was turning into an old thread.

Did anyone in your family race with him???? Or did he talk about racing? Did he still drive a Corvette? PM me!

Last edited by TCracingCA; 08-05-2018 at 07:48 PM. Reason: More detail added!
Old 05-17-2013, 02:27 PM
TCracingCA
Team Owner

Default Here are some pictures related to my second car!

Cloyde Angell. He competed in the SCCSCC Slaloms from about 1965-1968/9. He borrowed a car and took a run in 1970. He appears to have been in the military, Marine Corps. Thus this being the time of Vietnam, I am trying to research if he was called to duty, which limited his continued participation in the Slalom Sport. It might have lead to why he got rid of the car?? He was in a number of the car Clubs, started it appears with the Marina Del Rey Corvette and Corvair Club group, and then in about 1968 SMART and then 1969 El Conejo Corvette Club.

Here he is running at Terminal Island near the Vincent Saint Thomas Bridge in 1966.
The Cobra's took the entire A group, but Cloyde was on top of the B Class cars.

Thus from the picture it looks like a full competition built car with roll bar and number. The trim tag on my car has always been missing, but it appears to have been a Riverside Red car originally. It was an L-76 Car as per the tach and the rear end diff is coded CB Posi. I do not have the original engine!

In this list, take note of some other notable Corvette racers who were competing against him (Lowande, and Cook).

Here are just a few of the Slalom Plaques that I have from Cloyde Angell. I picked a good sampling to show that he was really into it. It seems he traveled down south and up north (far and wide). Most of the plaques that I have are Socal area. The Slide events were at Riverside International Raceway and the Clippenger events, Mestizo etc. were big events with hundreds of cars. The Slide II is I think the very last Slalom event that he ran with the car. The 1966/7 California Slalom Championship Plaque with the California state on it was the big equivalent of an overall State Championship called the Golden State Grand Prix. The one pictured here, is the 1966 year, whereas the trophy below in the picture has the brother plaque from 1967. Alot of the plaques I have and that aren't shown are still on the trophies that I have. Cloyde seemed to be a slalom monster!!!!!!!

Here is the 1st Place trophy for my car at the 1967 California Slalom Championships. What I have learned was that there were some protests and disqualications at this event, which I would like to hear about. And this is about the latest Trophy that I have of Cloyde's ownership. The plaque reads SCCSCC 1st Class B. For this event. Apparently, they were pretty generous with trophies at these Championships.The first five cars in class trophied for the north and separate trophies were given for the south giving two more than normal (top five, instead of the first three places). I thought they also had an inner Corvette placings and an award for FTD and overall placings. The big block cars like Wingate and Lister were in Class A, and Cloyde was in Class B (small blocks). He also ran in the 1966 Event, I have the list of competitors, but not the placings. Also another line on this story, is that I assume since I got this trophy with the car, that it is Angell's!!!!!! But he was the acting Vice Chairman of the SCCSCC Organization in 1967 and maybe this is someone elses trophy. I only have a couple of 1967 trophies and they do seem to correlate to the events I know he won or placed in. If it was just a trophy he was holding in the performance of his duties, then I don't have the results to know that!

Class B)
Just because it is an interesting side note, they sold these California event plaques showing the state for $5 each at these events to competitors and even spectators- which was a pretty steep price for back then. Thus your kid with $5 could walk up and get one if he wanted and stick it on his bike. Thus they weren't affixed to the trophy by the event organizers.

Here he is just beat out by the famous Bob Wingate that was running the new Big Block at another event.
Bob Wingate was a Corvette legend in Corvette/Camaro and the Corvair circles and was especially so in Slalom racing here in Southern California.
Cloyde was one the best from Socal living in Marina Del Rey, and then later in Camarillo-California region.
At the 1967 Championships, Wingate raced in the Class A, Cloyde won Class B.
So they didn't directly compete always against each other in that event, being in different classes for these Championships at Santa Maria.! But did in this next listing were Angell placed second to Wingate!

My car the "Cloyde Angell" Riverside Red (I believe) with race striped #20 rollbar Stingray roadster used to travel away to events and liked to go north to compete against those guys alot. I think he might have been in the military????? because on a PM message. Thus he would run neck and neck with Roach, Wingate, Getman, Hicks, Lynch, Fuller, Lowande, Wright, Thompson,etc.. and later Lister who was driving an Austin Healey in the 1965 period, not sure when he jumped to Corvettes (65/66?). Thus since I am sharing. If anyone has any info on Angell I would appreciate it. He seems to have started out as an independent out of Marina Del Rey. Thus the club guys usually would show for each event that the Club chose to go to!

Also in the black and white event picture that was shared by a fellow Corvette Forum member, the nose of the Cloyde Angell car is showing to the left in this picture with the stripes and the only roadster shown!!!!!! Cool!

Below the two C2's, is my car (Angell) in the front row at the 1966 Golden State Grand Prix for a staged photograph with all of the competitors from Northern and Southern California together-- My car the #20 with the stripes and rollbar again and with Wingates car directly behind it.

Lower picture---- Here it is to the right of the people standing at a 1967 meet. The Wingate car Clippinger is just to the left by a few cars. I assume Cloyde's wife or girlfriend is the woman with her butt on the rear clip! The top picture is the 1967 WSCC Corvette Corral!

Last edited by TCracingCA; 03-14-2015 at 07:58 PM. Reason: Adding info
Old 05-20-2013, 01:37 AM
sub006
Race Director

Received 59 Likes on 52 Posts

People started mis-spelling Sting Ray even before the C3's came out.
Old 05-20-2013, 02:53 PM
TCracingCA
Team Owner

Default I can't always spell either.

Thus more than likely the guy writing the article in Pylon Magazine, paid more attention in auto shop than literature class like me! I always wondered if the mistake going from Sting Ray to Stingray was an error on someones part or purpose down. I am going to start a thread on that here on the C1/C2.

Then recently I obtained the Pylon magazines and then I acquired the early picture of my car!. Thus it looks like Angell started down the path to enter formally into SCCA racing, but might not have ever ran a race (still being researched!). So I have two things instead of one, that connect him to owning my car (our car!). The other is his 1965 registration card from the good ole California DMV.

I am going to keep the paperwork and specifics on the log books private and that information unphotographed to keep someone from making a phony car! I would think it would be too hard to recreate the plaques or make a flag, or a license plate, so I hope I am safe sharing those photos!

Thus I am still not done, but I am close and still working on the history!

Last edited by TCracingCA; 03-21-2014 at 12:57 PM. Reason: Adding as I find stuff!!
Old 09-02-2013, 07:41 PM
sub006
Race Director

I believe Guldstrand drove a C1 in that 1962 Riverside race. Wish he'd had a movie camera on his rollbar instead of a roller skate, imagine the Sting Ray and Cobra action that happened in front of him!

BTW Cobra racing pioneer/Honda dealer Bill Krause lives a couple of blocks from me, not far from one of the Agajanian sons.
Old 09-04-2013, 05:37 PM
TCracingCA
Team Owner

Default Man you resurrected my old thread!

Originally Posted by sub006
I believe Guldstrand drove a C1 in that 1962 Riverside race. Wish he'd had a movie camera on his rollbar instead of a roller skate, imagine the Sting Ray and Cobra action that happened in front of him!

BTW Cobra racing pioneer/Honda dealer Bill Krause lives a couple of blocks from me, not far from one of the Agajanian sons.
I don't believe Guldstrand had the rollerskate on any of his C1's. He first crashed the 1963 basically the first to be converted to a Z-06 Convertible! I did hear that GM produced one or more convertible Z-06's but I don't think this was one of them?????? The Rollerskate I believe went onto his 1964 as what started out as a joke. The 1964 then went to Gordon Wilson In Team guys, but the 1963 back in the 1970's was still in a junkyard, is what I remember! The Doug Hooper #119 ended up as someones slalom racer and then was sold! I do love the missing Corvette stories as my car has probably been one of those! Just as in the picture of the ARRC event in this thread, the blue Corvette (factory sides, stinger hood, etc.) is what I believe to be one of the missing 1 of 20 factory L-88's. I will have to research that, but maybe someone has more on that?????? before I dig out my books!

In my opinion, the authentic roller skate would probably be a big Corvette discovery if ever found or the match one from that set of skates. I think Guldstrand has one like it in his office is what I remember him saying years ago, and it may even be the original??? I don't remember. I would have to go visit.

Hey Sub006, I have Jackie Ickx, Niki Lauda, and Michele Mouton living in my neighborhood!

Last edited by TCracingCA; 09-04-2013 at 05:41 PM.
Old 09-04-2013, 06:15 PM
sub006
Race Director

You're right, I knew the skate came later but I just couldn't resist tying the skate imagery to a rollbar-mounted camera. And I'm sure Dick replaced assembly-line parts with the stouter stuff to build his racer. Also removed weight from areas above the wheel centerlines where inspectors hadn't yet thought to look.

Jackie, Niki and Michele in SoCal? Bobbleheads, or do you have a second home in Switzerland?
Old 09-05-2013, 02:01 AM
TCracingCA
Team Owner

Default I am delusional, it must have been the damage done when I was a bobblehead model!

Originally Posted by sub006
You're right, I knew the skate came later but I just couldn't resist tying the skate imagery to a rollbar-mounted camera. And I'm sure Dick replaced assembly-line parts with the stouter stuff to build his racer. Also removed weight from areas above the wheel centerlines where inspectors hadn't yet thought to look.

Jackie, Niki and Michele in SoCal? Bobbleheads, or do you have a second home in Switzerland?
I see famous race drivers all of the time in my neighborhood, just today I saw Mario Andretti at least 23 times coming home from work!

PS I don't think Guldstrand would have caught to much on film, BECAUSE HE WAS USUALLY OUT FRONT! And in subsequent years, the Cobra was so far up the track, that it would have been out of camera range!

Last edited by TCracingCA; 09-05-2013 at 02:07 AM.
Old 09-07-2013, 04:13 PM
TCracingCA
Team Owner

Default Update as to research, because of the exposure- some more info has come into my hands

First off I am seeing that so much of what is remembered about this era is vague in the memories! And the records are so scarce. Thus I think the sharing is limited, because guys would rather post publically only if they are "for sure" on their thoughts and memories. But I don't mind some additions even if they are vague or not really well remembered!!!!

It looks like Cloyde fell off in times and dropped in the standing in 1968. I don't know yet if that is because the 1964 was getting old or he showed up with a C3???? Or the other guys were developing there cars to a higher level and he was slowly being left behind or a combination of all of the above. The Bill Steen guy at the top of the first list was running the new C3, but most were running the Big Blocks in C2 cars or had hot Small Blocks. Pretty much all of them were running the same parts and tires by 1968 as evidenced also by the closeness of the times posted. Most of the top runners were within two second or less of each other on their fastest runs. Also these courses back then were usually set up a lot shorter than the modern autocross events. And I was pleased to see that Cloyde was running actually still in the very early 1968 year as I had thought. I just don't know what happened to him after that. He was a noted age group Soccer player later in life and I think war gamed (not video games), but the old strategy board styled type of campaigns that lasted days or months with multiple players.

An early March 1968 Event

March the 1968 Golden State GP North vs South California State Championships at Santa Maria (Invite Only Event) Standings! (6th Place only!)

He also was jumping clubs alot and was in El Conejo and SMART!!!!!! So maybe he wasn't finding the right fit of people to join with as per his personality???? I am sure he was a respected competitor!

Some of the plaques and even trophies are causing me more difficulty in documenting his Competition Ownership history!!!!! Thus researching stuff this old, is intriguing but difficult.

I am starting to think that he was an interesting guy, but didn't always hit it off with others. In most of the pictures uncovered, you can almost see the Corvette/Club groupings as to who parked next to who etc.. And the fact that Wingate, Lynch etc. are still around and not coming on to share, makes me think that he might not have been a guy that stood out, but blended in????????

Also those type of guys are the ones that were participants, but even on the other thread about Socal 1960's racing that got 3000 plus views, none of them came on to add.

Thus for now, I will leave things written as I have it wrote, but have no problem revising history or research if records or eye witness comes out and is shared. I don't think Angell was the greatest of all time, by no measure and his name appears enough that his Competition in the Socal slalom scene makes him a solid competitor and to me he doesn't have to be the best. It is Ok, if he wasn't!!!

I think I am on the right track. I think that I have enough records to say which guys were the very best!!!!

Even on the Cormany family, I wanted to be highly complimentary to them, because they deserve some Corvette press for their accomplishments. I don't know if they are still around to share some to the topic or era. It would be welcome!!!!

Last edited by TCracingCA; 03-21-2014 at 02:29 PM.
Old 09-08-2013, 05:35 AM
sub006
Race Director

Originally Posted by TCracingCA
I don't think Guldstrand would have caught to much on film, BECAUSE HE WAS USUALLY OUT FRONT! And in subsequent years, the Cobra was so far up the track, that it would have been out of camera range!
My point exactly. In October 1962 Krause, Hooper, McDonald, Bondurant and Green would have been PASSING Dick's faithful C1 with their new Shelby and Z06 rockets! Wasn't he still running a single-headlight car at that race?
Old 03-21-2014, 03:29 AM
TCracingCA
Team Owner

My Family has been into Corvettes since 1957. We owned a Fuelie 1957! Then that was traded in for a 1964 Coupe in about 1965! I don't have pictures of those two older cars, but have been checking with relatives to see if any still exist!

Other than my two cars (1964 Roadster Race car and a 1968 Burgandy T-top, the third Corvette that we currently own in the Family belongs to my Father. It was a Dana Chevrolet Performance Center bought car prepped by Dale Armstrong the famous drag racer with advice from Dick Guldstrand who had left the Dealership to join the AIR James Garner's (the Actor) Corvette racing team in 1968. We recently got the NCRS shipping records for his car (my Brother did that, since I am not a member and won't be) that it is a Dana Chevrolet shipped car (Zone 20 Code 144). Here is a picture of my dad's car back in 1969 in the configuration from Dana Performance and then in it's slalom configuration when it competed. My Father was usually disqualified and was always asked if he was ever going to do his cone duty. He was also protested consistently by fellow club members of his own GRA group! My Father enjoyed having that reputation.

My father James in his hip clothing! Back in the Day! Every car in the picture has a California Black Plate last issued in 1969. The bus is an out of state plate. All of the cars look to be pre-1970 in the lot (The Mustang, the Bus, the Dodge, Plymouths, etc., etc.)

And the car as it is today! My father is in the cool Steve McQueen replica jacket sitting down!

Video of car in action

I grew up over the hill from Don Steves Chevrolet (La Habra) in Hacienda Heights and I now continue to live in Whittier which is the City next to and west of La Habra where Don Steves Chevrolet is and those are just a few miles to the west of Brea. My family was living in Brea while I was in the military (Navy) when I bought the car and where Dave Cormany was also living (Brea), but back when he raced this car and I am not sure after that. And as I said, I bought the car in this flared/spoiled configuration. I also did some Autocrossing even though I enjoy other disciplines, but I wasn't bad at it.

After owning it coming up on 30 years, I had cut the flares off to get it into a Vintage Racing Class around 1993, but I am now putting these original Thumper flares back on with all of the Racing parts that came with it. I have a build plan that includes putting my vintage appropriate old ATL Fuel Cell, the J-56 proportioning valve and the flip filler which has to be repaired shown in the Cormany era, that was cracked at the thread base and needed repair. But also alot of the racing parts never came off of the car, and I still have Guldstrand pieces, the spreader bar, the J-56 Disc Brake calipers (front and rear) and reinforcement brackets front, Moog K-6037's, etc.. still on the car.

Also the car was registered previously as a 1963, because that was the original year of sale. I also have a 1965 El Camino that is DMV listed as a 1964 also. That sometimes happened!!!!!!!!!!!

I have had the car over in a storage garage, where it is hard to work on it. I have my 1968 T-top and my 1965 El Camino cluttering up the garage and in the way currently, but my plan is to hopefully finish it (my restoration project, here in 2013). It will stay Riverside Red with the these Thumper flares, but not all molded in (I recut and narrowed them to look good- fit the tires and rims), the spoiler will be also a Thumper unit, but I will be running their Trans Am unit and not the custom unit, because the molded in Thumper spoiler that was on the car when I purchased was all cracked and split from scraping the ground. I am putting an L-88 C2 hood back on it and not the stinger one that I have, because that was changed when it was first restored more to the 1970's theme of the era, and to clear the air gap high rise Bowtie Single Plane. I am also in the process of putting the full roll cage back in and not as crudely. It was upgraded to a Special Heavy Duty ROD tranny 6-speed, and I have my Tom's Differential stuff in the back and the special Bowtie Aluminum Block and Heads are going in, but I do have the vintage 327 and alot of the Vintage pieces from it's racing days!!!!! I will add some more pictures!

DRAFT of history clean up

Wanting to document past history of cars prior to my ownership. I am always searching for old SCCA publications, results. I know others out there would like to document histories maybe collectively we could piece info together to help one another.

Update here December 2013. I added more pictures and Ownership history deeper in the thread.

Chapter One
Cloyde Angell definitely was the first Owner of my early 1963 Corvette Roadster out here in California and competed in the SCCSCC/Club/Open Slaloms/Time Trials/Championships from about 1965-1968/9. He from 1965 through to 1967 was with the Marina Del Rey Corvette and Corvair Club, and then in about 1968, he ran with the SMART group, and then 1969, with the El Conejo Corvette Club. And I think he then got a C3. He may have borrowed a ride and ran in one event during that season. He appears to have been in the military, Marine Corps. Thus this being the time of Vietnam, I am trying to research if he was called to duty, which limited his continued participation in the Slalom Sport. It might have led to why he got rid of the 1963?

Here he is running at Terminal Island near the Vincent Saint Thomas Bridge in 1966. The Cobra's took the entire A group, but Cloyde was on top of the B Class cars. Thus from the picture it looks like a full competition built car with roll bar and number. The trim tag on my car has always been missing, but it appears to have been a Riverside Red car originally. It was an L-76 Car as per the tach and the rear end diff is coded CB Posi. I do not have the original engine! Also denote the other notable Corvette racers!

The 1966 California Slalom Championship Plaque with the California state on it was the big equivalent of an overall State Championship called the Golden State Grand Prix, whereas the trophy below in the picture has the brother plaque from 1967. What I have learned was that there were some protests and disqualications at this event, which I would like to hear about. And this is about the latest Trophy that I have of Cloyde's ownership. The plaque reads SCCSCC 1st Class B. Alot of the plaques I have and that aren't shown are still on the trophies that I have. Cloyde seemed to be a slalom monster!!!!!!!

Here is the 1st Place trophy for my car at the 1967 California Slalom Championships. What I have learned was that there were some protests and disqualications at this event, which I would like to hear about. And this is about the latest Trophy that I have of Cloyde's ownership. The plaque reads SCCSCC 1st Class B. For this event. Apparently, they were pretty generous with trophies at these Championships.The first five cars in class trophied for the north and separate trophies were given for the south giving two more than normal (top five, instead of the first three places). I thought they also had an inner Corvette placings and an award for FTD and overall placings. The big block cars like Wingate and Lister were in Class A, and Cloyde was in Class B (small blocks). He also ran in the 1966 Event, I have the list of competitors, but not the placings. Also another line on this story, is that I assume since I got this trophy with the car, that it is Angell's!!!!!! But he was the acting Vice Chairman of the SCCSCC Organization in 1967 and maybe this is someone elses trophy. I only have a couple of 1967 trophies and they do seem to correlate to the events I know he won or placed in. If it was just a trophy he was holding in the performance of his duties, then I don't have the results to know that!

Class B)

Apparently for these Santa Maria events, they were pretty generous with trophies at these Championships.The first five cars in class trophied for the north and separate trophies were given for the south, giving two more than normal (top five, instead of the first three places). I believe they may have had an inner Corvette placings and an award for FTD and overall placings. The big block cars like Wingate and Lister were in Class A, and Cloyde was in Class B (small blocks). He also ran in the 1966 Event, I have the list of competitors, but not the placings.

Also another line on this story, is that I assume since I got this trophy with the car, that it is Angell's!!!!!! But he was the acting Vice Chairman of the SCCSCC Organization in 1967 and maybe this is someone elses trophy. I only have a couple of 1967 trophies and they do seem to correlate to the events I know he won or placed in. If it was just a trophy he was holding in the performance of his duties, then I don't have the results to know that!

Class B)

Just beat out by the famous Bob Wingate that was running the new Big Block at another event.
Bob Wingate was a Corvette legend in Corvette/Camaro and the Corvair circles and was especially so in Slalom racing here in Southern California.
Cloyde was one the best from Socal living in Marina Del Rey, and then later in Camarillo-California region.

In this list, take note of some other notable Corvette racers who were competing against him (Lowande, and Cook).

Here are just a few of the Slalom Plaques that I have from Cloyde Angell. I picked a good sampling to show that he was really into it. It seems he traveled down south and up north (far and wide). Most of the plaques that I have are Socal area. The Slide events were at Riverside International Raceway and the Clippenger events, Mestizo etc. were big events with hundreds of cars. The Slide II is I think the very last Slalom event that he ran with the car. The 1966/7 California Slalom Championship Plaque with the California state on it was the big equivalent of an overall State Championship called the Golden State Grand Prix. The one pictured here, is the 1966 year, whereas the trophy below in the picture has the brother plaque from 1967. Alot of the plaques I have and that aren't shown are still on the trophies that I have. Cloyde seemed to be a slalom monster!!!!!!!

So they didn't directly compete always against each other in that event, being in different classes for these Championships at Santa Maria.! But did in this next listing were Angell placed second to Wingate!

At the 1967 Championships it appears, Wingate raced in the Class A, Cloyde won Class B. So they didn't always directly compete always against each other in events! But did in this next listing were Angell placed second to Wingate

My car the "Cloyde Angell" Riverside Red (I believe) with race striped #20 rollbar Stingray roadster used to travel away to events and liked to go north to compete against those guys alot. I think he might have been in the military????? because on a PM message. Thus he would run neck and neck with Roach, Wingate, Getman, Hicks, Lynch, Fuller, Lowande, Wright, Thompson,etc.. and later Lister who was driving an Austin Healey in the 1965 period, not sure when he jumped to Corvettes (65/66?). Thus since I am sharing. If anyone has any info on Angell I would appreciate it. He seems to have started out as an independent out of Marina Del Rey. Thus the club guys usually would show for each event that the Club chose to go to!

Also in the black and white event picture that was shared by a fellow Corvette Forum member, the nose of the Cloyde Angell car is showing to the left in this picture with the stripes and the only roadster shown!!!!!! Cool!

Below the two C2's, is my car (Angell) in the front row at the 1966 Golden State Grand Prix for a staged photograph with all of the competitors from Northern and Southern California together-- My car the #20 with the stripes and rollbar again and with Wingates car directly behind it.

Lower picture---- Here it is to the right of the people standing at a 1967 meet. The Wingate car Clippinger is just to the left by a few cars. I assume Cloyde's wife or girlfriend is the woman with her butt on the rear clip! The top picture is the 1967 WSCC Corvette Corral!

Thus more than likely the guy writing the article in Pylon Magazine, paid more attention in auto shop than literature class like me! I always wondered if the mistake going from Sting Ray to Stingray was an error on someones part or purpose down. I am going to start a thread on that here on the C1/C2.

He competed at those events here in Southern California against quite a number of notable guys from back in the day.

From a contact, it appears Angell traded in the car for a new C3 model and possibly dealt through Dana Chevrolet in South Gate.

First off I am seeing that so much of what is remembered about this era is vague in the memories! And the records are so scarce. Thus I think the sharing is limited, because guys would rather post publically only if they are "for sure" on their thoughts and memories. But I don't mind some additions even if they are vague or not really well remembered!!!!

It looks like Cloyde fell off in times and dropped in the standing in 1968. I don't know yet if that is because the 1964 was getting old or he showed up with a C3???? Or the other guys were developing there cars to a higher level and he was slowly being left behind or a combination of all of the above. The Bill Steen guy at the top of the first list was running the new C3, but most were running the Big Blocks in C2 cars or had hot Small Blocks. Pretty much all of them were running the same parts and tires by 1968 as evidenced also by the closeness of the times posted. Most of the top runners were within two second or less of each other on their fastest runs. Also these courses back then were usually set up a lot shorter than the modern autocross events. And I was pleased to see that Cloyde was running actually still in the very early 1968 year as I had thought. I just don't know what happened to him after that. He was a noted age group Soccer player later in life and I think war gamed (not video games), but the old strategy board styled type of campaigns that lasted days or months with multiple players.

March the 1968 Golden State GP North vs South California State Championships at Santa Maria (Invite Only Event) Standings! (6th Place only!)

He also was jumping clubs alot and was in El Conejo and SMART!!!!!! So maybe he wasn't finding the right fit of people to join with as per his personality???? I am sure he was a respected competitor!

Some of the plaques and even trophies are causing me more difficulty in documenting his Competition Ownership history!!!!! Thus researching stuff this old, is intriguing but difficult.

I am starting to think that he was an interesting guy, but didn't always hit it off with others. In most of the pictures uncovered, you can almost see the Corvette/Club groupings as to who parked next to who etc.. And the fact that Wingate, Lynch etc. are still around and not coming on to share, makes me think that he might not have been a guy that stood out, but blended in????????

Also those type of guys are the ones that were participants, but even on the other thread about Socal 1960's racing that got 3000 plus views, none of them came on to add.

Thus for now, I will leave things written as I have it wrote, but have no problem revising history or research if records or eye witness comes out and is shared. I don't think Angell was the greatest of all time, by no measure and his name appears enough that his Competition in the Socal slalom scene makes him a solid competitor and to me he doesn't have to be the best. It is Ok, if he wasn't!!!

I have an old registration card (1965) found in behind the dash, but in recent years acquired literature that showed him listed competing in the Socal Slalom scene where he actually was a front runner in our 1963 roadster.

Also thanks to two private emails from a guy that raced him, the car was traded in for the newer C3 model. As far as trading in, my father did the same thing getting rid of his hot metallic purple C2 coupe for a Gold T-top C3. I am looking for the purple car, but have no information on my Dad's Vin!

Thus I wish I could go back pre-2005 and talk with him about the car! Thank you for the reply. I almost missed it, since this was turning into an old thread.

Did anyone in your family race with him???? Or did he talk about racing? Did he still drive a Corvette? PM me!

I think I am on the right track. I think that I have enough records to say which guys were the very best!!!!

PS in the next month, I will post up some more of the Ownership proof and documentation on my car!!!!! I have added pictures also that I just haven't gotten scanned or digitized that I do want to add!

My First Car (Still researching- The Next Ownership Chapter)
As I dig out data/information I will update this post!!!!!! I am also putting it back together in an easier to follow format.

There are two stories related to the D.(ormany Ownership, one from the D.(ormany's and one from Don Steves of Don Steves Chevrolet. The D.(ormany version is in a partnership with a Reierson acquired the car next in 1968 through Don Steves Chevrolet or brokered with the help of Don Steves. This old slalom car was built into a track race car over the course of two years. By 1970 another partnership was formed with a Steve Sloma who I believe was the brother of the famous racer Rich Sloma? Steve lived down on the coast and also drove in certain events. I have those programs associated with these events. Don Steves remembered getting the car with very little time left in the season and for the Riverside Times GP. He remembered a big rush to get it ready for that event. He did not remember where they found it, but said it could have been a dealership trade. The Reierson and the Sloma he did not remember the details.

The car was painted bright yellow (Corvette Daytona Yellow was the hot new dealership color for 1970) and might have been tuned by the famous Bill Thomas who was the person that had supported the Don Steves Dealership sponsored cars since the late 1950's and I believed continued to do so after his shop was closed. It competed in regional races and twice entered at the Times Grand Prix first in 1969 (sponsored by Don Steves Chevrolet- La Habra on Whittier Boulevard) and then again in 1970 at Riverside International Raceway. The car won five Regional races, but then was unfortunately crashed and I believe "not" due to the driver, but oil down on the track-- Because D.(ormany was a damn good driver!!!!!

As crashed at RIR

I post this picture up again of the crash photo at Riverside for comparison!

Here are "some" of the SCCA competition plaques for my car, in it's unfortunately short racing career for 1969/70's.

The SCCA Regional Race Plaques

Thus the car is a regional level car and not national, so I don't find it listed in the SCCA magazines of the day, but was mentioned in the Finish Line (Cal Club) magazines in 1969/70.
Also I am still researching things, as the former Owner (approximately 30 years ago) just handed me stuff and Don Steves recently gave me some of this stuff, having kept those things since the 1970's. In regards to the Ontario plaque, they had a specific race called the Challenge Cup at that event, but that was mostly for National cars, D.(ormany/Sloma car was in one of the other races, and I have learned that this was the general plaque issued to the participants in general for that weekend.

I also have a bunch of trophies (and more not pictured) along with the one I pictured from the Cloyde Angell era and other Slalom plaques still on the trophies or loose.

I also have some of these:

After the crash, they offered it For Sale in and around November and December of 1971 listing both phone numbers (D.(ormany and Sloma). The asking price was $995, but I believe the purchase price was $950.

Even on the D.(ormany family, I wanted to be highly complimentary to them, because they deserve some Corvette press for their accomplishments. I don't know if they are still around to share some to the topic or era. It would be welcome!!!!

I also would like to share on Gene and David (ormany. I would like to immortalize their love of racing and connection to history to the best of my ability.

Gene the Father was a notable C1 Racer with many wins!!!!! He continued being a top line racer- and I will pick just a few of the many highlights of what I know! Maybe one day I could add to this information.

They always had top line cars and also owned a few street Corvettes for driving, to go along with their race cars. Also the Gene had a famed CSX competition model Cobra. There was a little controversy on that being an original one of 51 (SC or Competition cars), but I do feel comfortable in saying that they owned CSX 3003 which is why the controversy started, because 3003 would be basically the first sold of the very special Cobra's. These were the Carrol Shelby cars that built the Cobra reputation into the killer big blocks. And yes, I do on occasion spend time on other forums.

Here he is and the Cobra #9, and actually leading the Delorenzo Corvette L-88. Also denote some of the other entries like the Cobra that would star in the Elvis Presley movie. And the Blue Corvette next to him is what I believe to be one of the famed and lost 1967 L-88's (one of twenty). Thus if I talk more on that, I will start a frantic search by all of the collectors.

To show the level of the (ormany Family taste: A little history on the CSX 3000 series Cobras!!!!!!!!!!!
These were the bad boys!!!!! The famous #98 racer was CSX 3002, CSX 3005 was the Bill Cosby twin turbo car (1 of 2 built) that was driven accidently off a cliff in Malibu, the second twin turbo (Paxton units) was CSX 3015 which was Carrol Shelby's own personal car and the one that just recently sold for six (6) million dollars plus, and CSX 3006 was the Elvis Presley owed car featured in the movie spin out, and so on and so forth.Thus G.(ormany got his Cobra prior to the famous actor and singer????? and the famous TV star and Comedian????? It takes some clout to be at the front of that list. Later his son Dave dated and married a Playboy bunny, so anything is possible (only really cool dudes got Playboy Bunny wives). Thus the (ormany family really was an interesting family. The father and then the son were racers, which the Father Gene having competed in numerous events with a C1 going back to the 1950's as I mentioned, then having this very famous Cobra model and he raced it!

This Cobra car was last up at the 2012 Monterey Reunion with the #35 on it in a Guardsman Blue, but the racing graphics and lines weren't on it anymore. They also owed cool street cars and Gene practically got the coolest new hot model Corvette every other year, and then they acquired the former James Garner L-88 Corvette Racer!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! (One of the special ones!!!!!!!!). So this Family was really connected up and seemed to have a line on the interesting cars here in Southern California even though Gene was Texas based and raced out of the Central SCCA Division and worked as an executive of one of the major piston Manufacturers. His son David, was living in Brea, California when he had sponsorship from Don Steves Chevrolet just a couple miles away from my current house.

Thus I would love to talk to them (if they are still around- I did a search and 19 D.(ormany's came up in the US?) I think Dave (ormany should be inducted into the Corvette Hall of Fame based on the ownership of the Garner car (a famous one) and winning races with it and the invite to the 1972 ARRC etc.. and Gene also being an ARRC invite and former winning Corvette Driver!

To get history, I started back in 2002 taking a higher level interest, but have always known some things about my cars from buying them. My knowing Guldstrand for years and being a big customer of his, years ago I had asked Dick Guldstand the former Performance Manager of Dana Chevrolet in South Gate in 1967, if he remembered my 1963 car during the Angell period of Ownership. Guldstrand was at Dana Chevrolet in South Gate, CA. after his stint with Roger Penske racing as basically Roger's first professional racing driver!!! I believe the car was taken there because of the Corvette Fame of that dealership having run the only C2 entry of the 1960's decade at the famous LeMans 24 hour Race in France. I believe Angell had the car serviced there. Additionally Cloyde was based in Marina Del Rey and belonged to that Corvette Club with that City being next to Culver City were Guldstrand was based and eventually set up shop.

But in late 1967, Guldstrand left the dealership to form/join AIR Corvette Racing Team with James Garner when he moved into the Quonset Hut building on Jefferson Boulevard in Culver City next door to Traco Engineering. At an Auto Club Speedway HSR Vintage racing event in Fontana, I had a recent chance to briefly talk to Mr. Guldstrand and he distinctly remembered Cloyde Angell, but he had appearance requirements and I didn't get a chance a chance to get much about Angell from him. He just smiled big when I had mentioned the name and I never got to D.(ormany and my 1964. Also Pat at the Riverside Raceway museum remembers him (Angell) and nothing about Cormany, he shared a story about Angell which adds to what I know about the Ownership, but that was more about Cloyde's competition personality.

Also in the more recent time, I had shopped at Don Steves Chevrolet for years and got to know him eventually "Don Steves". The first inquiry about the 1964 car was in and around 2006/7, and then I made subsequent visits back to the dealership where he helped me with my Ownership related to D.(ormany. Don Steves was an avid racing fan, and this was a nice distraction assisting me and going back through things that he had such as a number of black and white photographs which I am posting up here in this thread ( and a few of the crash, because he was in a big battle with GM about keeping Chevrolet Dealership status. He felt that GM was only keeping operations adjacent to freeways, even though his was one of the top dealers in the region.

Currently Don Steves Chevrolet is no longer an authorized Chevy dealership which is unbelievable in consideration of it's history in Racing. Don Steves passed in about 2011! He had such cars as one of the four 1963 Corvette Split Window Coupes Z-06 cars (I think the 1st Z-06) that raced against the 1st Cobra at Riverside in 1962. This was the #00 car driven by the likes of Dave McDonald. In this race, the Cobra broke and so did all of the new C2 Corvette's except one---- This was the first C2 Sting Ray win ever anywhere and it was driven by Doug Hooper #119 in the Mickey Thompson owed black car.

Here are three of the four Z-06 Corvettes entered at Riverside. The Don Steves (Dave MacDonald driven) 1963 is the famous #00. The #119 not in the picture!

And here is the very first Sting Ray win ever- The same race with Doug Hooper taking the flag!

Side note: Doug Hooper also was one of the Owners of the 1967 Delorenzo 1967 L-88 supposively and I am not sure he ever made that claim, but others do or did and he just rolls with it, but he privately told me he is searching still, for his 1966 racer, and was involved with the Grand Sport #001 Roadster. Doug Hooper used to be on Ventura Boulevard, but then moved north of there and now Guldstand Engineering a few years back moved from Culver City and took over the second Doug Hooper shop location. Back to Don Steve Chevrolet, their sponsorship to racers dates back to the 1950's on Corvettes. Thus they helped make Chevrolet what it was! I actually pass directly by the Dealership weekly and somethimes more. How dare GM pull the plug on their dealership rights during the time of the GM restructure.

As a side note, the (ormany Family bought the former C3 #44 AIR Garner Corvette which was first raced in the 1972 Season by Gene the father first and then by D.(ormany who got an invite to the ARRC National Championship Run-Offs in A-Production. Note: these AIR L-88 Cars were practically the very first C3 L-88 cars sold. Dick Guldstrand was extremely closely associated at that time with Zora Duntov, also with James Garner completing the Movie Grand Prix, so this was a high profile deal. It is also believed that these particular cars, might have been more special than a normal L-88! And good ole Bob Wingate is the salesman that they went to, thru Glenhill Chevrolet just to the south of my house growing up in Carson and Herb Caplan was the buyer that closed the deal. Glenhill Chevrolet was off of the Harbor Freeway south on the famous PCH Pacific Coast Highway! And then Bob Wingate went to Clippinger Chevrolet were he arranged a display of the AIR Team Corvettes. And at the top of my thread, Bob Wingate raced Cloyde Angell my former car owner. Thus everything here in Southern California comes full circle. And Glenhill Chevrolet was involved in the sponsorship of the Terminal Island Slalom Championship events show from the program at the top of this thread.

D.(ormany driving the former AIR L-88 car of James Garner's team with his playboy centerfold girlfriend Phyllis Coleman and his future wife to be!

As another side note: Alot of the former Scarab Racing Team members went to Shelby to work at LAX, then some went to Dean Moon's shop to assist with the 1st install of the V-8 into the English car (the first Cobra- and yellow also!). Then some of them went to work for Dana Chevrolet, then some of them left with Guldstrand and worked on the AIR Team with Garner, etc.

The next Ownership link (I have dropped). I have parts from this car, but I have a car that is a sister to this car formerly Owned by Darrel Gassaway! --- I had some communication with Laurie Tex Schawb who's husband was an owner of the Conners car and there was a discrepany on the purchase price where in one magazine article on Bob Conners, I think a typing error occurred in that article because of it stating the purchase price being $350??????, but I think it was $950 from what I remember being told when I acquired the car. Thus there is a discrepency here?????? Basically the car was an unregistered race car and the car year 64 was listed in one of the ads and was missing in the other, but the asking price was $995 in both. (when the typical uncrashed Corvette Race car was changing hands at about $2500-$3500 during that era). A helluva deal! So my 1964 is not the Conners car!

I believe Bob was a notable Socal Slalom racer and former NHRA Drag racer holding 1/4 mile class records at one time as early as 1967. Thus it was with him up in Fontana/Rialto Area and I believe semi repaired at first after buying it wrecked with the basic single roll hoop as the little picture below shows where it is parked next to the building. It seems to have been entered into local Slalom events around 1974 and possibly earlier after purchasing and fixing. I think he was connected up with a Large Auto Parts Chain, one of the biggest in that area close to where the first Super Shops Franchise started. This was the period where Ontario Motor Speedway was just down the rode, and Southern California still had a number of Drag Strips.

The car was then further modified by Bob following the trends to put large flares and a large spoiler on it. It also got a full rollcage. Then it was driven the very next day after the car was finished through a chain link fence accidently by his wife who was actually a very accomplished racer and wrecked again (it was bored out to about 370 cubes and turned less than 12 second quarter mile times), but was fixed for the WSCC (Western States Corvette Convention) in Wichita Kansas 1975. At that convention, it won the Concourse Competition car trophy, and both the Husband and wife took trophies home from the Autocross portion of that event. It was at Ontario 1975 Corvette Drag Nationals event and continued to be autocrossed and then at the next WSCC in Salt Lake Utah, it ran all of the events again. It remained in the yellow color, and was photographed at Ontario Motor Speedway 1976 and put on the front cover of one of the popular Corvette Magazines in this configuration. Also I don't think the WSCC had an event in 1977.

Shown at Ontario Motor Speedway.

If you study the photograph on the magazine cover, there are no headlights. Thus it was renosed without the headlights initially. Also as you can see in the crash picture I posted up again, the hood was damaged is the reason why I believe it got the 1967 Stinger Big block unit put on it. I still have that hood stripped to the yellow with the pinstriping and will get it photographed and put up here. The car also was flared with Thumper units, but glassed in to the custom Thumper spoiler. Another Clue of chain of Ownership, is that D.(ormany had the Yellow with Red trimming and sponorship and if you look at the trim of it with Bob Connors, he pinstriped it in Red on the yellow. Thus this is not a popular color combination red accents on yellow (thus a further clue of the link from Ownership to Ownership in the early 1970's! I also have the stripped to the yellow decklid with the rollcage holes.

Also in 1975 Bob Connors took 4th place in the final Southern California Slalom Championship standing behind Dennis McCosh, George Lynch, and Schafer. Unfortunately I don't have anything from this period of Ownership in the way of plaques, trophies, etc.. but I do have a blue California license plate from the period when Bob owned it.

Here is a small picture that I tried to enlarge with the driver track meeting at an event, with our Car pictured parked next to the building in the background. I can't get good resolution, but in the very small original shot, the rollcage is not in the car yet------ it still had the square looking Angell/(ormany roll bar.

I didn't get the car through Bob Connors direct, and I am in contact with the individual that brokered the sell to me who is following this thread. Thus it was in this flared/spoiled configuration, when I got it. I hope to not offend the past Owners, but because of Banana jokes, big bird jokes and the like, I am sticking with the Riverside Red on the color. Also I had reshaped the flares with some glass to take the squareness (box) out of these Thumper units. I am an old surfer and used fiberglass from my younger days to repair my surfboards, thus working the glass is a piece of cake!

Here it is about 1990, I loved my wink mirror! You can see I still hadn't put headlights back on it yet! I had cut the nose spoiler competely off!

Lastly I uncovered what I would call a sister car. Another local enthusiast from the Rialto/Fontana area had the same flares and spoiler installed on his car and I believe that is the Ed Schwab SCCA Solo competition car which was ran white but with blue and red graphics and had my favorite C3 styled L-88 hood. I viewed that car personally at quite a number of events and talked to Mr. Schwab because his car competed directly against my Brother in my Father's car and I wish I had both of them in my garage.

Here is a picture of my dad's car back in 1969 and then in it's slalom configuration when it competed. My Father was usually disqualified and was always asked if he was ever going to do his cone duty. He was also protested consistently by fellow club members of his own GRA group! My Father enjoyed having that reputation.

My father James in his hip clothing! Back in the Day! Every car in the picture has a California Black Plate last issued in 1969. The bus is an out of state plate. All of the cars look to be pre-1970 in the lot (The Mustang, the Bus, the Dodge, Plymouths, etc., etc.)

And the car as it is today! My father is in the cool Steve McQueen replica jacket sitting down!

Video of car in action (younger brother Dean driving)

I grew up over the hill from Don Steves Chevrolet (La Habra) in Hacienda Heights and I now continue to live in Whittier which is the City next to and west of La Habra where Don Steves Chevrolet is and those are just a few miles to the west of Brea. My family was living in Brea while I was in the military (Navy) when I bought the car and where D.(ormany was also living (Brea), but back when he raced this car and I am not sure after that. And as I said, I bought the car in this flared/spoiled configuration. I also did some Autocrossing even though I enjoy other disciplines, but I wasn't bad at it.

After owning it coming up on 30 years, I had cut the flares off to get it into a Vintage Racing Class around 1993, but I am now putting these original Thumper flares back on with all of the Racing parts that came with it. I have a build plan that includes putting my vintage appropriate old ATL Fuel Cell, the J-56 proportioning valve and the flip filler which has to be repaired shown in the (ormany era, that was cracked at the thread base and needed repair. But also alot of the racing parts never came off of the car, and I still have Guldstrand pieces, the spreader bar, the J-56 Disc Brake calipers (front and rear) and reinforcement brackets front, Moog K-6037's, etc.. still on the car.

Also the car was registered previously as a 1963, because that was the original year of sale. I also have a 1965 El Camino that is DMV listed as a 1964 also. That sometimes happened!!!!!!!!!!!

I have had the car over in a storage garage, where it is hard to work on it. I have my 1968 T-top and my 1965 El Camino cluttering up the garage and in the way currently, but my plan is to hopefully finish it (my restoration project, here in 2013). It will stay Riverside Red with the these Thumper flares, but not all molded in (I recut and narrowed them to look good- fit the tires and rims), the spoiler will be also a Thumper unit, but I will be running their Trans Am unit and not the custom unit, because the molded in Thumper spoiler that was on the car when I purchased was all cracked and split from scraping the ground. I am putting an L-88 C2 hood back on it and not the stinger one that I have, because that was changed when it was first restored more to the 1970's theme of the era, and to clear the air gap high rise Bowtie Single Plane. I am also in the process of putting the full roll cage back in and not as crudely. It was upgraded to a Special Heavy Duty ROD tranny 6-speed, and I have my Tom's Differential stuff in the back and the special Bowtie Aluminum Block and Heads are going in, but I do have the vintage 327 and alot of the Vintage pieces from it's racing days!!!!! I will add some more pictures!

Lastly, I have never taken interest in the precise history and putting this finally on the forum was on an impulse and have been adding to it since, because I late last year started considering getting the car into the upcoming August 2013 Monterey Corvette Reunion. But to do so, the cars have to have a pedigree. Thus to be considered, you have to present your history. Thus I will be missing Monterey entry because it is fast approaching and the car would not have been ready, but I thought it was time to put the Ownership chain together. Thus before posting this I had tracked down three individuals named D.(ormany and was only successful in talking to one which was not our Dave of Corvette fame. I also attempted to locate Bob Connors, but do believe he left the area with the last address being in Rialto.

For years I have talked on this forum of getting into Vintage Racing and instead did timed lapping events with like the old TCRA (the retired race car group). But I have had some serious life events and setbacks in my defense!

In case someone can add to the history or share information on that racing era!

I feel that I have the basic chain of ownership history now with a few holes to fill after owning the car 30 years and first starting to research things back about 10years ago!

My Search:

As I dig stuff out, I am better remembering the timeline. It is amazing how 10 years can fly by!

I started to document the car during that time 2002/3, but had some real negative interactions with two guys on the log book shown that I had (the SCCA Novice Green one pictured- Cloyde Angell). Basically some regions used these while a driver was in training, but the formal SCCA log books (usually powder blue in color) basically showed up around 1971. At that time (10 years ago) I only had two magazine copies of Finish Line Magazine (which is the SoCal Region stuff- Cal Club), but not the months or years that covered when my car ran. And because the records are so scarce, I then quickly lost interest in researching for awhile. At about this same time, my Aunt started a Family geneology project, so I jumped in to help her and got caught up in that. Thus growing up, none of this mattered (the truly ancient history of the Family or where the car had been and what it ran in)till about this time frame 2002/3. Thus researching my car, was the "original primary reason" why I joined the Corvette Forum! Naturally I always knew it was a former race car from the parts on/with the car. I also thought the stuff I had with the car was cool. I am glad I stored this stuff and didn't toss it all!

Because it is a race car, there were a number of cars that I had researched and stopped following until about 7 or 8 years ago, when I found some more issues of the Finish Line Magazine, which caused me to focus on three cars initially that were possibilities. Because nothing was matching up exactly, it seemed like I was running into dead ends (wrong paths) which was frustrating, and I didn't have the source to research it thoroughly or have the ability to do so because of the limited information available from that era. Also because the (ormany name wasn't coming up in the SCCA magazines related to a C2, initially I discounted his association with my car primarily because his name was only coming up related to the C3 race car. (1972 SCCA magazines/records). I now see that he would have had to take all of the steps to get licensed and it connects with the 1968/69 period and then he was only racing at the regional level, which is where a new driver would have started. Also I didn't have records to uncover that.

Then I came across the C2 picture with him and Don Steves sponsorship, thus I visited Don Steves Chevrolet in 2006/7 before they lost their Chevrolet Dealership rights and I got some leads from just a few guys there that had worked with the dealership long term. I also saw that this car was believed to be a 1963 and my Vin is a 1964, thus again I basically discounted (ormany until it hit me that my car was registered as a 1963, when I first bought it. It is an early 1964, made in 1963 and like the 1965 El Camino I have, it was registered as an earlier year model. Thus on repeat visits (2007-2008) and after taking the car into the dealership a few times, that led me to meeting and talking with Don Steves himself. In turn this led to some records turning up and the DANA connection/(ormany etc. Thus about 4 years ago or so (2009), I finally figured out who's car it was. I also learned on this forum, that guys in a heartbeat will phony up a car especially for profit and that this is a very hotly contested thing in the collector car world (L-88's, Z-06, COPO, rare options, etc.). I have no intention to sell. I have had it 30 years and it is a Family member now. Then my accident that occurred early 2010 and new life worries, and three years of anguish (bills, mobility problems, healing). Thus I wasn't in a position to worry about all of this!

Thus now 2013, I am pretty solid now on this era of Ownership for my car! It all lines up! Thus I finally posted up this thread which I am working on and as I learn new or match things up, I will keep updating!

The Dana Frame I have and shown is of the later vintage 1968/69 cars. This is the only late year frame, that I have ever seen. The earlier ones have the ears! And I pictured the 1966 Cloyde Angell log book (novice). Also the car might have ran one actual race, but not with Angell driving!

Also here is the Don Steve's Chevrolet frame that I have.

Then recently I obtained the Pylon magazines and then I acquired the early picture of my car!. Thus it looks like Angell started down the path to enter formally into SCCA racing, but might not have ever ran a race (still being researched!). So I have two things instead of one, that connect him to owning my car (our car!). The other is his 1965 registration card from the good ole California DMV.

I am going to keep the paperwork and specifics on the log books private and that information unphotographed to keep someone from making a phony car! I would think it would be too hard to recreate the plaques or make a flag, or a license plate, so I hope I am safe sharing those photos!

Thus I am still not done, but I am close and still working on the history!

D.(ormany

who built the car to compete in Regionals races at Riverside International and Ontario Motor Speedway competing in 6 or 7 events and winning 5 of them before a crash, which caused him to sale the car at a big discount.

Bob Conners
The next Owner appears to be a Bob Conner who put the car back together to compete in Slaloms for Cavalier Corvettes Club and often attended the Corvette Drags and also attended the WSCC Conventions.

Family history
My 1964 I relegated to Canyon Racing at Mulholland and Turnbull well over 15 years ago. It had all of the potential and I enjoyed making Owner's of Porsche's, Ferrari's, Pantera's, etc. cry. Got a bug to put car in Silver State Challenge but went crazy with modifications (aluminum block, HD Rod 6 speed, etc.) doubt if I would ever complete project prior to them discontinuing the event. I am growing up and now interested in putting it back on the track nice and proper (VARA, HMSA, HSR).
Our 1968 is a kick butt car. Engine is a rarely known piece of Corvette history, aborted Grand Sport Project (AMA Ban 1963). We haven't run it in SCCA in the last few years but usually took fastest corvette time of the day at Solo I events but usually protested and disqualified from points. Car has track history and Canyon racing history also. Lapped Big Willow Springs in the 1:35 range

draft

Wanting to document past history of cars prior to my ownership. I am always searching for old SCCA publications, results. The 1964 Roadster first raced in California on track and autocross. I know others out there would like to document histories maybe collectively we could piece info together to help one another. I know two new racing registrys that are being assembled. Would like to include a concise history for the registry.

I am still looking for more information! Update here November 2013 since someone resurrected this old thread. I am still chasing down leads, but haven't really had the time to post up more and I just realized that I didn't even post up a few more things that I thought I had posted or my pictures didn't save.

I added more pictures and Ownership history deeper in the thread. He was definitely the first Owner of my early 1964 Corvette Roadster out here in California and competed in Club and Slalom Events For the Marina Del Rey Corvette and Corvair Club from at least 1965 thru 1967, and into the early 1968 year and possibly the 1969 season. He competed at those events here in Southern California against the likes of Wingate, Lister, Sloma, Hedekin, Roach, Fuller, etc. back in the day. From a contact, it appears Angell traded in the car for a new C3 model and possibly dealt through Dana Chevrolet in South Gate. In 1968, next I believed the car was brokered through Don Steves Chevorlet to the next Owner, David (ormany who built the car to compete in Regionals races at Riverside International and Ontario Motor Speedway competing in 6 or 7 events and winning 5 of them before a crash, which caused him to sale the car at a big discount. The next Owner appears to be a Bob Conner who put the car back together to compete in Slaloms for Cavalier Corvettes Club and often attended the Corvette Drags and also attended the WSCC Conventions.

My 1964 I relegated to Canyon Racing at Mulholland and Turnbull well over 15 years ago. It had all of the potential and I enjoyed making Owner's of Porsche's, Ferrari's, Pantera's, etc. cry. Got a bug to put car in Silver State Challenge but went crazy with modifications (aluminum block, HD Rod 6 speed, etc.) doubt if I would ever complete project prior to them discontinuing the event. I am growing up and now interested in putting it back on the track nice and proper (VARA, HMSA, HSR).
Our 1968 is a kick butt car. Engine is a rarely known piece of Corvette history, aborted Grand Sport Project (AMA Ban 1963). We haven't run it in SCCA in the last few years but usually took fastest corvette time of the day at Solo I events but usually protested and disqualified from points. Car has track history and Canyon racing history also. Lapped Big Willow Springs in the 1:35 range.

Cloyde Angell. He competed in the SCCSCC Slaloms from about 1965-1968/9. He borrowed a car and took a run in 1970. He appears to have been in the military, Marine Corps. Thus this being the time of Vietnam, I am trying to research if he was called to duty, which limited his continued participation in the Slalom Sport. It might have lead to why he got rid of the car?? He was in a number of the car Clubs, started it appears with the Marina Del Rey Corvette and Corvair Club group, and then in about 1968 SMART and then 1969 El Conejo Corvette Club.

Here he is running at Terminal Island near the Vincent Saint Thomas Bridge in 1966.
The Cobra's took the entire A group, but Cloyde was on top of the B Class cars.

Thus from the picture it looks like a full competition built car with roll bar and number. The trim tag on my car has always been missing, but it appears to have been a Riverside Red car originally. It was an L-76 Car as per the tach and the rear end diff is coded CB Posi. I do not have the original engine!

Class B)
Just because it is an interesting side note, they sold these California event plaques showing the state for $5 each at these events to competitors and even spectators- which was a pretty steep price for back then. Thus your kid with $5 could walk up and get one if he wanted and stick it on his bike. Thus they weren't affixed to the trophy by the event organizers.

Here he is just beat out by the famous Bob Wingate that was running the new Big Block at another event.

I have an old registration card (1965) found in behind the dash, but in recent years acquired literature that showed him listed competing in the Socal Slalom scene where he actually was a front runner in our 1964 roadster.

Also thanks to two private emails from a guy that raced him, the car was traded in for the newer C3 model. As far as trading in, my father did the same thing getting rid of his hot metallic purple C2 coupe for a Gold T-top C3. I am looking for the purple car, but have no information on my Dad's Vin!

Thus I wish I could go back pre-2005 and talk with him about the car! Thank you for the reply. I almost missed it, since this was turning into an old thread.

PS in the next month, I will post up some more of the Ownership proof and documentation on my car!!!!! I have added pictures also that I just haven't gotten scanned or digitized that I do want to add!

My Car (Research- The Next Two Ownership Chapters)
As I dig out data/information I will update this post!!!!!! I am also putting it back together in an easier to follow format.

There are two stories related to the D.(ormany Ownership, one from the (ormany's and one from Don Steves of Don Steves Chevrolet. The D.(ormany version is in a partnership with a Reierson acquired the car next in 1968 through Don Steves Chevrolet or brokered with the help of Don Steves. This old slalom car was built into a track race car over the course of two years. By 1970 another partnership was formed with a Steve Sloma who I believe was the brother of the famous racer Rich Sloma? Steve lived down on the coast and also drove in certain events. I have those programs associated with these events. Don Steves remembered getting the car with very little time left in the season and for the Riverside Times GP. He remembered a big rush to get it ready for that event. He did not remember where they found it, but said it could have been a dealership trade. The Reierson and the Sloma he did not remember the details.

The car was painted bright yellow (Corvette Daytona Yellow was the hot new dealership color for 1970) and might have been tuned by the famous Bill Thomas who was the person that had supported the Don Steves Dealership sponsored cars since the late 1950's and I believed continued to do so after his shop was closed. It competed in regional races and twice entered at the Times Grand Prix first in 1969 (sponsored by Don Steves Chevrolet- La Habra on Whittier Boulevard) and then again in 1970 at Riverside International Raceway. The car won five Regional races, but then was unfortunately crashed and I believe "not" due to the driver, but oil down on the track-- Because D.(ormany was a damn good driver!!!!!

As crashed at RIR

Here are "some" of the SCCA competition plaques for my car, in it's unfortunately short racing career for 1969/70's.

The SCCA Regional Race Plaques

Thus the car is a regional level car and not national, so I don't find it listed in the SCCA magazines of the day, but was mentioned in the Finish Line (Cal Club) magazines in 1969/70.
Also I am still researching things, as the former Owner (approximately 30 years ago) just handed me stuff and Don Steves recently gave me some of this stuff, having kept those things since the 1970's. In regards to the Ontario plaque, they had a specific race called the Challenge Cup at that event, but that was mostly for National cars, D.(ormany/Sloma car was in one of the other races, and I have learned that this was the general plaque issued to the participants in general for that weekend.

I also have a bunch of trophies (and more not pictured) along with the one I pictured from the Cloyde Angell era and other Slalom plaques still on the trophies or loose.

Apparently fourth of July weekend 1970 might have been a busy time. It appears the car might have ran at Riverside on the 4th in an SCCA event (driven as #55 instead of #5). I have some miscellaneous Slalom Plaques from this period and it may have competed in some Autocross Championships Events here in California with Sloma mostly driving it in 1970 and D.(ormany on the Racetracks primarily!

I also have some of these:

After the crash, they offered it For Sale in and around November and December of 1971 listing both phone numbers (D.(ormany and Sloma). The asking price was $995, but I believe the purchase price was $950.

Even on the (ormany family, I wanted to be highly complimentary to them, because they deserve some Corvette press for their accomplishments. I don't know if they are still around to share some to the topic or era. It would be welcome!!!!

I also would like to share on Gene and D.(ormany. I would like to immortalize their love of racing and connection to history to the best of my ability.

Gene the Father was a notable C1 Racer with many wins!!!!! He continued being a top line racer- and I will pick just a few of the many highlights of what I know! Maybe one day I could add to this information.

They always had top line cars and also owned a few street Corvettes for driving, to go along with their race cars. Also the Gene had a famed CSX competition model Cobra. There was a little controversy on that being an original one of 51 (SC or Competition cars), but I do feel comfortable in saying that they owned CSX 3003 which is why the controversy started, because 3003 would be basically the first sold of the very special Cobra's. These were the Carrol Shelby cars that built the Cobra reputation into the killer big blocks. And yes, I do on occasion spend time on other forums.

Here he is and the Cobra #9, and actually leading the Delorenzo Corvette L-88. Also denote some of the other entries like the Cobra that would star in the Elvis Presley movie. And the Blue Corvette next to him is what I believe to be one of the famed and lost 1967 L-88's (one of twenty). Thus if I talk more on that, I will start a frantic search by all of the collectors.

To show the level of the (ormany Family taste: A little history on the CSX 3000 series Cobras!!!!!!!!!!!
These were the bad boys!!!!! The famous #98 racer was CSX 3002, CSX 3005 was the Bill Cosby twin turbo car (1 of 2 built) that was driven accidently off a cliff in Malibu, the second twin turbo (Paxton units) was CSX 3015 which was Carrol Shelby's own personal car and the one that just recently sold for six (6) million dollars plus, and CSX 3006 was the Elvis Presley owed car featured in the movie spin out, and so on and so forth.Thus G.(ormany got his Cobra prior to the famous actor and singer????? and the famous TV star and Comedian????? It takes some clout to be at the front of that list. Later his son Dave dated and married a Playboy bunny, so anything is possible (only really cool dudes got Playboy Bunny wives). Thus the (ormany family really was an interesting family. The father and then the son were racers, which the Father Gene having competed in numerous events with a C1 going back to the 1950's as I mentioned, then having this very famous Cobra model and he raced it!

This Cobra car was last up at the 2012 Monterey Reunion with the #35 on it in a Guardsman Blue, but the racing graphics and lines weren't on it anymore. They also owed cool street cars and Gene practically got the coolest new hot model Corvette every other year, and then they acquired the former James Garner L-88 Corvette Racer!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! (One of the special ones!!!!!!!!). So this Family was really connected up and seemed to have a line on the interesting cars here in Southern California even though Gene was Texas based and raced out of the Central SCCA Division and worked as an executive of one of the major piston Manufacturers. His son David, was living in Brea, California when he had sponsorship from Don Steves Chevrolet just a couple miles away from my current house.

Thus I would love to talk to them (if they are still around- I did a search and 19 D.(ormany's came up in the US?) I think D.(ormany should be inducted into the Corvette Hall of Fame based on the ownership of the Garner car (a famous one) and winning races with it and the invite to the 1972 ARRC etc.. and Gene also being an ARRC invite and former winning Corvette Driver!

To get history, I started back in 2002 taking a higher level interest, but have always known some things about my car from buying it. My knowing Guldstrand for years and being a big customer of his, years ago I had asked Dick Guldstand the former Performance Manager of Dana Chevrolet in South Gate in 1967, if he remembered my car during these three periods of Ownership. For the Cloyde Angell period, he was at Dana Chevrolet in South Gate, CA. after his stint with Roger Penske racing as basically Roger's first professional racing driver!!! I believe the car was taken there because of the Corvette Fame of that dealership having run the only C2 entry of the 1960's decade at the famous LeMans 24 hour Race in France. I believe Angell had the car serviced there. Additionally Cloyde was based in Marina Del Rey and belonged to that Corvette Club with that City being next to Culver City were Guldstrand was based and eventually set up shop.

But in late 1967, Guldstrand left the dealership to form/join AIR Corvette Racing Team with James Garner when he moved into the Quonset Hut building on Jefferson Boulevard in Culver City next door to Traco Engineering. At an Auto Club Speedway HSR Vintage racing event in Fontana, I had a recent chance to briefly talk to Mr. Guldstrand and he distinctly remembered Cloyde Angell, but he had appearance requirements and I didn't get a chance a chance to get much about Angell from him. He just smiled big when I had mentioned the name and I never got to (ormany or Connors. Also Pat at the Riverside Raceway museum remembers him, he shared a story which adds to what I know about the Ownership, but that was more about Cloyde's competition personality.

Also in the more recent time, I had shopped at Don Steves Chevrolet for years and got to know him eventually "Don Steves". The first inquiry about the car was in and around 2006/7, and then I made subsequent visits back to the dealership where he helped me with my Ownership chain related to (ormany. Don Steves was an avid racing fan, and this was a nice distraction assisting me and going back through things that he had such as a number of black and white photographs which I am posting up here in this thread ( and a few of the crash, because he was in a big battle with GM about keeping Chevrolet Dealership status. He felt that GM was only keeping operations adjacent to freeways, even though his was one of the top dealers in the region.

Currently Don Steves Chevrolet is no longer an authorized Chevy dealership which is unbelievable in consideration of it's history in Racing. Don Steves passed in about 2011! He had such cars as one of the four 1963 Corvette Split Window Coupes Z-06 cars (I think the 1st Z-06) that raced against the 1st Cobra at Riverside in 1962. This was the #00 car driven by the likes of Dave McDonald. In this race, the Cobra broke and so did all of the new C2 Corvette's except one---- This was the first C2 Sting Ray win ever anywhere and it was driven by Doug Hooper #119 in the Mickey Thompson owed black car.

Here are three of the four Z-06 Corvettes entered at Riverside. The Don Steves (Dave MacDonald driven) 1963 is the famous #00. The #119 not in the picture!

And here is the very first Sting Ray win ever- The same race with Doug Hooper taking the flag!

Side note: Doug Hooper also was one of the Owners of the 1967 Delorenzo 1967 L-88, and was involved with the Grand Sport #001 Roadster. Doug Hooper used to be on Ventura Boulevard, but then moved north of there and now Guldstand Engineering a few years back moved from Culver City and took over the second Doug Hooper shop location. Back to Don Steve Chevrolet, their sponsorship to racers dates back to the 1950's on Corvettes. Thus they helped make Chevrolet what it was! I actually pass directly by the Dealership weekly and somethimes more. How dare GM pull the plug on their dealership rights during the time of the GM restructure.

As a side note, the (ormany Family bought the former C3 #44 AIR Garner Corvette which was first raced in the 1972 Season by Gene the father first and then by D.(ormany who got an invite to the ARRC National Championship Run-Offs in A-Production. Note: these AIR L-88 Cars were practically the very first C3 L-88 cars sold. Dick Guldstrand was extremely closely associated at that time with Zora Duntov, also with James Garner completing the Movie Grand Prix, so this was a high profile deal. It is also believed that these particular cars, might have been more special than a normal L-88! And good ole Bob Wingate is the salesman that they went to, thru Glenhill Chevrolet just to the south of my house growing up in Carson and Herb Caplan was the buyer that closed the deal. Glenhill Chevrolet was off of the Harbor Freeway south on the famous PCH Pacific Coast Highway! And then Bob Wingate went to Clippinger Chevrolet were he arranged a display of the AIR Team Corvettes. And at the top of my thread, Bob Wingate raced Cloyde Angell my former car owner. Thus everything here in Southern California comes full circle. And Glenhill Chevrolet was involved in the sponsorship of the Terminal Island Slalom Championship events show from the program at the top of this thread.

D.(ormany driving the former AIR L-88 car of James Garner's team with his playboy centerfold girlfriend Phyllis Coleman and his future wife to be!

As another side note: Alot of the former Scarab Racing Team members went to Shelby to work at LAX, then some went to Dean Moon's shop to assist with the 1st install of the V-8 into the English car (the first Cobra- and yellow also!). Then some of them went to work for Dana Chevrolet, then some of them left with Guldstrand and worked on the AIR Team with Garner, etc.

The next Ownership link--- (I have removed this car based on conversation with a later owner [SChwab]

It looks to be a Bob Conners or Connors who bought it needing restoration for a discount. In one magazine article on Bob Conners, I think a typing error occurred in that article because of it stating the purchase price being $350??????, but I think it was $950 from what I remember being told when I acquired the car. Thus there is a discrepency here?????? Basically the car was an unregistered race car and the car year 64 was listed in one of the ads and was missing in the other, but the asking price was $995 in both. (when the typical uncrashed Corvette Race car was changing hands at about $2500-$3500 during that era). A helluva deal!

I believe Bob was a notable Socal Slalom racer and former NHRA Drag racer holding 1/4 mile class records at one time as early as 1967. Thus it was with him up in Fontana/Rialto Area and I believe semi repaired at first after buying it wrecked with the basic single roll hoop as the little picture below shows where it is parked next to the building. It seems to have been entered into local Slalom events around 1974 and possibly earlier after purchasing and fixing. I think he was connected up with a Large Auto Parts Chain, one of the biggest in that area close to where the first Super Shops Franchise started. This was the period where Ontario Motor Speedway was just down the rode, and Southern California still had a number of Drag Strips.

The car was then further modified by Bob following the trends to put large flares and a large spoiler on it. It also got a full rollcage. Then it was driven the very next day after the car was finished through a chain link fence accidently by his wife who was actually a very accomplished racer and wrecked again (it was bored out to about 370 cubes and turned less than 12 second quarter mile times), but was fixed for the WSCC (Western States Corvette Convention) in Wichita Kansas 1975. At that convention, it won the Concourse Competition car trophy, and both the Husband and wife took trophies home from the Autocross portion of that event. It was at Ontario 1975 Corvette Drag Nationals event and continued to be autocrossed and then at the next WSCC in Salt Lake Utah, it ran all of the events again. It remained in the yellow color, and was photographed at Ontario Motor Speedway 1976 and put on the front cover of one of the popular Corvette Magazines in this configuration. Also I don't think the WSCC had an event in 1977.

I post this picture up again of the crash photo at Riverside for comparison!

Shown at Ontario Motor Speedway.

If you study the photograph on the magazine cover, there are no headlights. Thus it was renosed without the headlights initially. Also as you can see in the crash picture I posted up again, the hood was damaged is the reason why I believe it got the 1967 Stinger Big block unit put on it. I still have that hood in yellow with the pinstriping and will get it photographed and put up here. The car also was flared with Thumper units, but glassed in to the custom Thumper spoiler. Another Clue of chain of Ownership, is that D.(ormany had the Yellow with Red trimming and sponorship and if you look at the trim of it with Bob Connors, he pinstriped it in Red on the yellow. Thus this is not a popular color combination red accents on yellow (thus a further clue of the link from Ownership to Ownership in the early 1970's! I also have the yellow decklid with the rollcage holes.

Also in 1975 Bob Connors took 4th place in the final Southern California Slalom Championship standing behind Dennis McCosh, George Lynch, and Schafer. Unfortunately I don't have anything from this period of Ownership in the way of plaques, trophies, etc.. but I do have a blue California license plate from the period when Bob owned it.

Here is a small picture that I tried to enlarge with the driver track meeting at an event, with our Car pictured parked next to the building in the background. I can't get good resolution, but in the very small original shot, the rollcage is not in the car yet------ it still had the square looking Angell/D.(ormany roll bar.

I didn't get the car through Bob Connors direct, and I am in contact with the individual that brokered the sell to me who is following this thread. Thus it was in this flared/spoiled configuration, when I got it. I hope to not offend the past Owners, but because of Banana jokes, big bird jokes and the like, I am sticking with the Riverside Red on the color. Also I had reshaped the flares with some glass to take the squareness (box) out of these Thumper units. I am an old surfer and used fiberglass from my younger days to repair my surfboards, thus working the glass is a piece of cake!

Here it is about 1990, I loved my wink mirror! You can see I still hadn't put headlights back on it yet! I had cut the nose spoiler competely off!

Lastly I uncovered what I would call a sister car. Another local enthusiast from the Rialto/Fontana area had the same flares and spoiler installed on his car and I believe that is the Ed Schwab SCCA Solo competition car which was ran white but with blue and red graphics and had my favorite C3 styled L-88 hood. I viewed that car personally at quite a number of events and talked to Mr. Schwab because his car competed directly against my Brother in my Father's car and I wish I had both of them in my garage.

Here is a picture of my dad's car back in 1969 and then in it's slalom configuration when it competed. My Father was usually disqualified and was always asked if he was ever going to do his cone duty. He was also protested consistently by fellow club members of his own GRA group! My Father enjoyed having that reputation.

Video of car in action (younger brother Dean driving)

I

After owning it coming up on 30 years, I had cut the flares off to get it into a Vintage Racing Class around 1993, but I am now putting these original Thumper flares back on with all of the Racing parts that came with it. I have a build plan that includes putting my vintage appropriate old ATL Fuel Cell, the J-56 proportioning valve and the flip filler which has to be repaired shown in the D.(ormany era, that was cracked at the thread base and needed repair. But also alot of the racing parts never came off of the car, and I still have Guldstrand pieces, the spreader bar, the J-56 Disc Brake calipers (front and rear) and reinforcement brackets front, Moog K-6037's, etc.. still on the car.

which was not our Dave of Corvette fame. I also attempted to locate Bob Connors, but do believe he left the area with the last address being in Rialto.

For years I have talked on this forum of getting into Vintage Racing and instead did timed lapping events with like the old TCRA (the retired race car group). But I have had some serious life events and setbacks in my defense!

In case someone can add to the history or share information on that racing era!

I feel that I have the basic chain of ownership history now with a few holes to fill after owning the car 30 years and first starting to research things back about 10years ago!

My Search:

As I dig stuff out, I am better remembering the timeline. It is amazing how 10 years can fly by!

I started to document the car during that time 2002/3, but had some real negative interactions with two guys on the log book shown that I had (the SCCA Novice Green one pictured- Cloyde Angell). Basically some regions used these while a driver was in training, but the formal SCCA log books (usually powder blue in color) basically showed up around 1971. At that time (10 years ago) I only had two magazine copies of Finish Line Magazine (which is the SoCal Region stuff- Cal Club), but not the months or years that covered when my car ran. And because the records are so scarce, I then quickly lost interest in researching for awhile. At about this same time, my Aunt started a Family geneology project, so I jumped in to help her and got caught up in that. Thus growing up, none of this mattered (the truly ancient history of the Family or where the car had been and what it ran in)till about this time frame 2002/3. Thus researching my car, was the "original primary reason" why I joined the Corvette Forum! Naturally I always knew it was a former race car from the parts on/with the car. I also thought the stuff I had with the car was cool. I am glad I stored this stuff and didn't toss it all!

Because it is a race car, there were a number of cars that I had researched and stopped following until about 7 or 8 years ago, when I found some more issues of the Finish Line Magazine, which caused me to focus on three cars initially that were possibilities. Because nothing was matching up exactly, it seemed like I was running into dead ends (wrong paths) which was frustrating, and I didn't have the source to research it thoroughly or have the ability to do so because of the limited information available from that era. Also because the D.(ormany name wasn't coming up in the SCCA magazines related to a C2, initially I discounted his association with my car primarily because his name was only coming up related to the C3 race car. (1972 SCCA magazines/records). I now see that he would have had to take all of the steps to get licensed and it connects with the 1968/69 period and then he was only racing at the regional level, which is where a new driver would have started. Also I didn't have records to uncover that.

406665 LeMans car? I need to find more notes
408067 LeMans car #4 (Crashed)
408332 Silver Flared w/Black Convertible
409400 White w/Black Convertible Foreign owned
410300 LeMans Car #3 Greder
410807 LeMans Blue w/Blue Convertible
410850 Polar White Blue Convertible
411010 LeMans Blue w/Blue Convertible
411031 Need to get more notes out! (Grobner IL. was the Owner)
411493 DX #3 split display car for awhile and was a White w/Black Convertible
413092 Safari Yellow w/Black
413628 International Blue w/Dark Blue Coupe
414479 LeMans Blue w/Blue Convertible
414674 British Green w/Black Convertible
415030 Cordovan Maroon w/Black? Coupe
415034 Corvette Bronze w/Orange Coupe
415053 Rally Red w/Red Coupe
415072 Rally Red w/Red Convertible (Psychodelic Barn Find-Bounty Hunter)
416535 LeMans Blue w/Med. Blue Convertible
416882 Rally Red w/Red Convertible
417433 Corvette Bronze w/Black Convertible
418866 LeMans Blue w/Med Blue Convertible
418978 Tuxedo Black w/Black Coupe
419258 ? I think Red? Have to find note (Vietro CA. was owner)
419379 Tuxedo Black w/Black Convertible
419418 Silverstone Silver w/Black Convertible
419533 Silverstone Silver w/Black Coupe
<41

713635 #57 Rebel Racer
727979 Waddel Race Car #37
737632 White w/Black Coupe
66<

Last edited by TCracingCA; 08-05-2018 at 08:31 PM.
Old 08-04-2018, 07:06 PM
Cormany
1st Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Hello from David’s son, Jeff. We’re both in So. Cal.

My Dad said that he would enjoy talking to you. My number (Jeff Cormany) is (951)907-9777. Thanks!
Old 08-04-2018, 10:28 PM
TCracingCA
Team Owner

Hi Jeff! Cool!

I would definitely like to talk, will start here publically! First this old thread is a mess! I thought the 63/64 car went from you guys to someone unknown to me, then ended up with the Cavalier Corvette hot shot snowplow Racer club guys! They were all trading and buying cars, and all of them raced, and some owned the cars of the others etc. I t hink the Mathis brothers were carrying the paper loans, for guys in the club that they sold built Racer/Slalom cars to!

At first based on color and some parts, I thought your old Racer morphed into the Connors (Bob & Doty) car based on parts, I have sold with the car, but not on it when purchased 1982. I have that cars 1967 Stinger hood in my garage, it almost blew out of the truck, taking the car home back when I bought this car and stuff! Then talked to the Schwab's and they owned the Connors car and painted it white (this car has no white) and they actually cut down an old glass windshield, and this car had plexiglass! Therefore I was rewriting the whole thread! I started at the top trying to streamline the whole story, and left old jumbled up content, moving things up to the story more to the top as I worked on it. But never finished. So sorry for the tough read!
Plus we are talking about two different cars (a 1963 Roadster- not associated with you or your family, that I loved the Angell connection on and the 1963/64 car that I keep private on). I talked earlier in this thread about some of that, but I got slammed in an accident and myself racing these cars mostly in Canyons have injured them, and rebuilt them to injure them again and both have ended up in recent times as big dream projects ( but I have been getting stuff done on them). A number of setbacks! Like my Father passing and ending up trying to give him and his blue 1968 some fame, as he was enjoying prior to his passing! That car I was going to own, but that no longer will be happening (I still call it our car, my Father's car thou), but will be staying in the possession of my Porsche owning (not a corvette guy brother)!
At a bad point of my life, recovering from my near fatal accident, I was going to sale the Slalom car (Angell), but liked the car history, but wasn't going to share any of that to a seller, even though that probably would have netted me a higher price (the opposite that other people do)! ! I kind of wanted to keep it, so I was joining it to my Racer! My life has come around, and I do not feel I at all have to.sell the other car! Therefore I put the right chassis back under all of the prospective cars! Leave that at that, after hell with the DMV!

Therefore Jeff, I can tell you are similar in proudly wanting your Dad, and Grandfather's fame and history immortalized! You can see that I tried to help that!!!!!!!

The car I got is a racer, and don't know how whole it is, as these Cavalier Corvette Club guys were really into rebuilding project Corvettes, especially former Slalom or Race cars! They all had shops, or car parts businesses, all but the Connors! To be honest, your Dad's car could very well be the Connors car, and I don't have that one, or your car could have went to the Mathis brothers and I have 1 of 4 of one of their creations! The only thing that came with this race car, was boxes of stuff, plaques, trophies, etc (mostly mid-70s to right to the 1980s (definitely not your Dad's period) and far more than I have ever pictured in these threads! I have purchased it all either with the car, and was given some stuff by Don Steves. That 3rd place ARRC SCCA AP 1972 medallion! I will post a picture of it for you, to put in your families scrap book! I am real sensitive about my stuff, and am not fond of guys that think they should own my stuff I have been given or purchased alone or with my cars! I hope you can respect that!
What I have learned and not written is that prior to selling this 63/64???? Car, your Father acquired one of the In Team Big Block cars (recently sold at auction). Dressed in the Gordon Wilson Chevrolet colors! The records at Ontario Motor Speedway 1970 were confusing as hell to me for awhile, as I thought at first your Dad drove in certain races, then Sloma in others and the number was changed. But acquiring more info, it was the yellow DonSteves car in some and the newly acquired Big Block car in the others. Then the Small block car was crashed at Riverside!

It then looks like your Dad (I would like to see if he can possibly come into the forum and introduce himself ( as he is a Corvette Racer hero basically- Owner of a car built with Bill Thomas help, they Don Steves Chevrolet the famous Dealership of MacDonald fame, then owned one of the M22 1966 Factory kit racers with the early version of what would be the L88 later (a HD gear driven cammed monster famous car, that went to the In Team Race team out of Utah, who also had the former Guldstrand racing car too, as its stable mate)! Then your Dad got the ex-AIR James Garner team lightweight Factory L88 C3 Racer! So went from the bad a$$ C2 HD big block to the C3 L88 Racer and there sure is enough written up on that! So many questions to your Father, just on his history! Please share! I tried to do his record proud, and of your family!!!!!!!! It could be done so much better from you and him!!!!!!!! Out of respect!

Questions questions questions- who bought the crashed yellow C2 car from him? That might help me know for sure whether I have the actual frame or body or both or it would be sad, maybe not.

Can your Dad share his race record 1969-70 more precisely than my attempt? I think I did pretty good! I have him winning 5, maybe 6 races in the C2 yellow car (one at Ontario, one at Willow Springs, and 4 or 5 at Riverside Raceway)?
Did he travel to Las Vegas or Utah? He may have won there two? I was only collecting SoCal records and stupidly should have grabbed LV stuff too, as that was in the Region! I have now acquired some, but missing Regional!
Don Steves said your Father was there wrenching on his Racer himself! Working side by side with the famed Don Steves guys and Bill Thomas! Don Steves said he remembered your Dad being a damn good wrench and engineer type guy! Bill Thomas being local was no longer in his heyday days come 1969/70, so I do attribute more of the engine build to everyone, than just Bill Thomas putting the tune into it! Maybe Bill did the Heads and short block?

Who worked for Don Steves? He actually remembered your Father and all of the associated dudes, but did not specifically remember who was employed by him!

Tell us? Your family had the connections!!! Carrol Shelby said your Grandfather was a personal friend of his!!! I believe Traco and your Father worked together, as I used to be a good friend of the late Travers of Traco Fame (RIP)! I was literally about the only young guy that could go in his shop, hang out and bother him! The Coons guy, I never connected to him very well! Too quiet! Hey give us some Traco memories and possibly Guldstrand shop to!

The hot parts of the 1968-70 era where figured out by the AIR guys, Briggs, Greenwood, Delorenzo, and getting known by all of the other racers of the era! Guldstrand shop evolved out of the AIR Team days, but he was a fledgling boutique outfit then, didn't even have a Caralog yet! You walked in, and I was there in the same era at his place and Traco, he had a rate sheet for services, and not really parts for sell anything (you got the parts needed, with the service that you paid for). I do have his very first catalog! Don Steves and the likes of Bill Thomas could source this stuff too! Share? Would love to hear!!!!

Also your Dad's story getting into racing, I assume was influenced by your racing Grandfather!!!! Do I have that right? As the records show his first racing in 1969, SCCA regionals, and no Nationals yet! He started later Nationals 1970, essentially I think only with the famous C2 HD M22 big block car?

I do not find your Dad in the local region Slalom records, and I probably am in the top 10 guys of having records on that! It looks like he went straight into SCCA, the real racing $hit? But did he do any racing prior to the famous string of Corvettes? Go karts? Dirt bikes? Anything?

I am probably getting long winded! Your family is friggen cool!

And lastly! Not a good subject to bring up, but the C1 belonging to your Grandfather, you kind of were extremely harsh on the guy who owned it and did what I think is a cool restoration on it! True he should have given more on your grandfather, but these records are hard to locate and find! So many lost stories and chain of Ownerships! I don't exactly know what was so wrong about it, in your opinion! I am not a C1 guy, so never myself went back to compare to the era, vice modern restore, but all of these guys do a $hit job of keeping the Vintage!!!!!! And I am not particularly fond of that crowd! I now just mostly keep what I learn about all of that, too myself now! I really don't come on here much! I don't even give people direct access to me! If I hear that crowd who has never tried to give you and your family the time of day in their stories or histories (poorly done on the two most famous cars) now suddenly becomes your best friends, I am out and what I know or have to share goes with me! Not into the investor crowd!

Ok! For my car, I will break it to you, but I bought a pure old Racer that had gone thru a number of hands and the nice yellow Don Steves liviery is far far far gone!!!!!!! It will never go back to that!!!!!! Would I like to contInue some Don Steves tribute in it, yes that is happening very subtle in a few touches! I ain't going to letter it up and it is getting a heavy flake pearl Metallic purple paint job soon (I have been on a buying spree lately- guns, vintage mini bike, diecast drag cars, a dual sport motorcycle, etc etc,) the 1960s/70s style purple like on drag cars and boats, that you will dislike way more than that C1 restoration of your Grandfathers car! I friggen hate yellow, I don't want the banana jokes! And why would I want the names of other dudes on ""my"" car! I am not looking to drive a shrine to someone else! Sorry!!!! The car isn't historical enough either! Just a little local Racer! Amateur SCCA Regionals only!

The car I think was your father's car for the shortest time 1969-70 and from the ad I show, he sold it for under $1000. He didn't love it anymore! I now believe it was with the Cavalier dudes from the mid 70s to the early 80s and I bought it at one of their shops! My bill of sale is from the Owner at the time, but brokered by I think Walt Snow and one of the Mathis brothers! They said their names, we shook hands, I handed over the money, I got a bill of Sale, and I trailered it, and off I went! Total purchase time about 40 minutes! Yes, they told me a few things, but at 21, I didn't give a $hit, and wish I would have committed more to memory, plus they were distracting me- handed me boxes of parts and stuff that were part of the sale! After I winched it up, they helped me put $hit in the cockpit! And I was Out of there on my way back to the US Navy in San Diego! Why hang out and talk to old dudes! I personally think they ripped me off a little, but I wanted it! They actually Kept saying for this and this amount, we will throw this in and this! I did leave some stuff and boxes behind! Ran out of money #1, #2 didn't think it would be needed for my plans! Thus 1982- to 2018 (36 years it has been my favorite possession). I have mainly Canyon Raced it up in my Turnbull Canyon! This car will be a tribute to me and my Ownership!!!!!! It will be purple, unless I change my mind again!!! I have always wanted an audacious purple car! Purple is such a cool color, but don't ever see it! I am getting old, bucket list thing! PS it will remain more pure Vintage, than all of these other Vintage racers, but just not to the late 1960s/70s! It won't have. Kirkey Seat, or other modern crap either, like the rest of them!

Does your Dad have anything from it, that I can buy from you guys? I will always check out anything anyone has, and I pay fair or we part OK! I am going to Pomona at 5am tomorrow hunting for Porsche 914 stuff for my 1969 Formula car! Maybe for some stuff, trade you the medallion! No proof that was your Dad's, I am just assuming, as a 3rd place medal was given for BP, AS, BS, CP, And on and on and on! Over 20 classes, with 3rd place medalllions awarded!

Cool ok thanks for the contact here! That is the sole reason why I leave this all posted! I am just now kinda jaded by the General crowd and not NCRS friendly, as they haven't treated guys like me with race cars and modified Corvettes very well! I do participate over in PRC and sometimes Off Topic almost exclusively! Old threads I was in, pop up all of the time, two or three just in the last two weeks, so I glance in, mainly to make sure no one is smack talking! I still get regularly, people trying to search me down, mostly wanting something! I am not a real people person thou!

Later!Lastly, since me a complete stranger is the only one to write some of the cool history on your Father and Grandfather! I offer to add anything to my posts for history and to honor your family, or change, denote, or parallel in with what others have shared, and delete anything or theory that I got wrong, that I might have gotten wrong! Don Steves was pretty sharp and became my friend! He put his Dealership name and reputation on the C2 yellow car! He prided himself in being accurate, he was that kind of a guy! I would like to really hear how this came about with my Friend Don Steves! He didn't remember everything! When I asked him questions, he kept adding that, that was a long time ago! He firmly remembers Bill Thomas, and Bill would not lend his assistance for just anything! Just those two great celebrity people connections to your Father is the coolest!!!! Also would like to hear about hooking up with the great Corvette Racer name Sloma!!!! And then the business partnership also! Maybe this might motivate me to finishing cleaning up this mess thread! If I can get around to that!

Last edited by TCracingCA; 08-05-2018 at 12:22 AM.

Get notified of new replies

To Anyone remember a Cloyde Angell?