C1 & C2 Corvettes General C1 Corvette & C2 Corvette Discussion, Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Project Builds, Restorations

Judging Cars

Search this Thread

Old 03-14-2013, 10:29 AM
jrs 427
Drifting

Received 131 Likes on 85 Posts

Default Judging Cars

I don't get the big deal of having some " expert " judging a car by production standards. Is the reason;
1. Bragging rights ?
2. Ego ?
3. Financial portfolio ?
4. A fanatic that can't stand imperfection ?
5. Living a dream they could not afford in the time of production ?
6. Time capsule entry ?
7. Safety purest ?

All I know is there are many people paying bug bucks for matching pieces taken from one car and replaced on theirs calling it " original ". It's no more original than swapping one horse for another calling it the same name. I really like the " restoration " people. No one rebuilds automobiles. They throw the fifty cent word in hopes of impressing someone. If your a little wise to the world everything can be reproduced, copied, faked, or otherwise made to look like it was there on the delivery day.
If I spend x amount of dollars REBUILDING my car to the best of my ability / financial means ......... what is the real purpose of having someone look over my shoulder for a sheet of paper he signs with a " certain letterhead " and charging me an additional fee ?
In a world of wanna bees apparently there are a lot of followers. I must agree it is good for venders, parts sales, and the economy.
I also really admire the proud owners who need a " correct " fuel pump for a " L-79 ". Really....... come down to earth. It is only a 327 and not a mars rover.
In my travels I visited a " stamping shop " that deals with replacing the engine codes and partial vins on engine blocks. I personally listened to a conversation with a customer giving the details of what his markings consisted of for a 435 hp engine. He must have been completing his " restoration " by adding a few fake details.
The sad part is some buyers end up with a sheet of documentation that "sometimes " does not reflect the true identity of the vehicle they purchased. As one salesman put it .... " the story of a used car ".
Old 03-14-2013, 10:35 AM
67vetteal
Melting Slicks

Received 99 Likes on 39 Posts

I don't ever Judge a car. Doesn't matter if it's yours or mine, I just Enjoy a car. Al W.
Old 03-14-2013, 10:38 AM
SpartyGW
Burning Brakes

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

You sound a little angry. Maybe I'm reading into it.

I understand some of the bewilderment. I had a legitimate 9 second 67 Camaro before I bought my 61 Vette. The Camaro I did whatever I wanted to it. The vette I'm trying to keep as original as possible.

My personal reasons are that I truly feel like I'm stepping back in time when I drive or work on the Vette and I love it for that reason.

I also enjoy the challenge of trying to keep it original. Example: this week I am doing brakes on the car due to a leaking wheel cylinder. Easy solution: buy the $15 replacement wheel cylinder. My solution: rebuild the original 52 year old wheel cylinder.

To each his own.
Old 03-14-2013, 10:55 AM
John McGraw
Safety Car

Received 114 Likes on 74 Posts

Here is what I don't get.

I don't get people who feel the need to poke sticks at other peoples cars, or what they view the hobby to be. You have made yourself quite clear on several occasions that you do not care for judging or "restoration". I do not see why you continue to chew on this bone, just move on and let others enjoy their concept of Corvette ownership.

I have built resto-rods, pro-street, and judged Corvettes, and love them all. They all take a different discipline and techniques. Too bad some people can't enjoy the full spectrum of Corvette ownership.

Regards, John McGraw
Old 03-14-2013, 11:03 AM
INMYBLOOD
Le Mans Master

Location: The problem is all inside your head she said to me.
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

As stated many times before. What I hate about owning a corvette is all the uninvited people "judging" my car just because it's a corvette. Everyone is an expert when it comes to corvettes.
Old 03-14-2013, 11:15 AM
capevettes
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 4,562 Likes on 2,162 Posts
2023 C3 of the Year Finalist - Unmodified
2021 C8 of the Year Finalist Unmodified
2020 Corvette of the Year Finalist (performance mods)
2019 C1 of Year Winner (performance mods)
2017 Corvette of the Year Finalist
2016 C2 of Year
2015 C3 of Year Finalist

There's plenty of room in the hobby for everyone. I would have to say that I agree with most of what John had to say. I've restored cars to factory like condition and others as go fast drivers and enjoy them both. I've been a long time member of NCRS and respect the wealth of knowledge in it's membership, but I've chosen not to have my cars judged because it really isn't a priority for me. I certainly respect others who have chosen to go through the process for whatever their reasons may be.

The only thing that bothers me is finding fault with other's choices. While you may disagree with other's choices, it's their car and they can do with it what they wish.
Old 03-14-2013, 11:24 AM
Davids02
Racer
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default Hmmm

I guess not a candidate for the NCRS....
Old 03-14-2013, 11:31 AM
Mike Ward
Race Director

Received 30 Likes on 28 Posts

Originally Posted by Davids02
I guess not a candidate for the NCRS....
Thankfully no.

There's enough people with a chip on their shoulder already.
Old 03-14-2013, 11:38 AM
packrat
Racer

Received 26 Likes on 14 Posts

Suggest you see post on 3-12-2013 (Does this car have a bogus vin). It could save you $82,000.
Old 03-14-2013, 12:09 PM
John McGraw
Safety Car

Received 114 Likes on 74 Posts

Originally Posted by packrat
Suggest you see post on 3-12-2013 (Does this car have a bogus vin). It could save you $82,000.
I don't know who this was directed at, but any knowledgeable NCRS member, would almost instantly recognize all the red flags associated with that car! Only a greedy,"investor" that had not taken the time to properly research the car, would have been fooled. This is part of the value of the NCRS, it gives us the knowledge and tools to separate the wheat from the chaff. All the indications that this car was faked, were directly related to years of research by NCRS members, as to what a "real" car should look like. There is absolutely nothing wrong with buying a "made up" car, it is done every day, but to pay "real" prices for a "made up" car, is inexcusable! The tools that are needed to research a car like this are available to all, you just have to perform due diligence.

It is a dog-eat-dog world out there, and it does not help when you are wearing milk-bone underwear!

Regards, John McGraw
Old 03-14-2013, 12:17 PM
Rich Yanulis
Melting Slicks

Received 196 Likes on 144 Posts

Originally Posted by John McGraw
.........any knowledgeable NCRS member, would almost instantly recognize all the red flags associated with that car! Only a greedy,"investor" that had not taken the time to properly research the car, would have been fooled. This is part of the value of the NCRS, it gives us the knowledge and tools to separate the wheat from the chaff. All the indications that this car was faked, were directly related to years of research by NCRS members, as to what a "real" car should look like...........

Well said
Old 03-14-2013, 12:19 PM
Chuck Gongloff
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 561 Likes on 349 Posts

Originally Posted by jrs 427
I don't get the big deal of having some " expert " judging a car by production standards. Is the reason;
1. Bragging rights ?
2. Ego ?
3. Financial portfolio ?
4. A fanatic that can't stand imperfection ?
5. Living a dream they could not afford in the time of production ?
6. Time capsule entry ?
7. Safety purest ?

All I know is there are many people paying bug bucks for matching pieces taken from one car and replaced on theirs calling it " original ". It's no more original than swapping one horse for another calling it the same name. I really like the " restoration " people. No one rebuilds automobiles. They throw the fifty cent word in hopes of impressing someone. If your a little wise to the world everything can be reproduced, copied, faked, or otherwise made to look like it was there on the delivery day.
If I spend x amount of dollars REBUILDING my car to the best of my ability / financial means ......... what is the real purpose of having someone look over my shoulder for a sheet of paper he signs with a " certain letterhead " and charging me an additional fee ?
In a world of wanna bees apparently there are a lot of followers. I must agree it is good for venders, parts sales, and the economy.
I also really admire the proud owners who need a " correct " fuel pump for a " L-79 ". Really....... come down to earth. It is only a 327 and not a mars rover.
In my travels I visited a " stamping shop " that deals with replacing the engine codes and partial vins on engine blocks. I personally listened to a conversation with a customer giving the details of what his markings consisted of for a 435 hp engine. He must have been completing his " restoration " by adding a few fake details.
The sad part is some buyers end up with a sheet of documentation that "sometimes " does not reflect the true identity of the vehicle they purchased. As one salesman put it .... " the story of a used car ".
Just move on.

Enjoy your car.

Let others enjoy their cars the way they want to.

Chuck
Old 03-14-2013, 12:25 PM
Rich Yanulis
Melting Slicks

Received 196 Likes on 144 Posts

I believe that the beauty of this hobby is that there are MANY DIFFERENT ways to enjoy a Vintage Corvette.

All of them are good
Old 03-14-2013, 06:04 PM
1955 copper
Safety Car

Received 207 Likes on 149 Posts
2015 C1 of Year

Originally Posted by Rich Yanulis
I believe that the beauty of this hobby is that there are MANY DIFFERENT ways to enjoy a Vintage Corvette.

All of them are good
Old 03-14-2013, 06:09 PM
mrtexas
Drifting

Received 65 Likes on 50 Posts

Originally Posted by 1955 copper
Judging is a competition I don't participate in. Some do. I don't bring my antique cars anywhere nit picking experts hang out. That is one reason I don't attend car club meetings. I don't want to hear what's "wrong" with my car from someone who doesn't own it unless I ask.
Old 03-14-2013, 07:07 PM
AZDoug
Race Director

Received 1,478 Likes on 905 Posts
C1 of Year Finalist (performance mods) 2019
2017 C1 of Year Finalist

I absolutely love looking at a Top Flight, or BG car, but I wouldn't want to own one, unless i got it really, really cheap and could sell it fora huge profit, because I have too much of an urge to "improve" things.

Doug
Old 03-14-2013, 11:02 PM
65 fi
Drifting

Received 139 Likes on 83 Posts

Originally Posted by SpartyGW
You sound a little angry. Maybe I'm reading into it.

I understand some of the bewilderment. I had a legitimate 9 second 67 Camaro before I bought my 61 Vette. The Camaro I did whatever I wanted to it. The vette I'm trying to keep as original as possible.

My personal reasons are that I truly feel like I'm stepping back in time when I drive or work on the Vette and I love it for that reason.

I also enjoy the challenge of trying to keep it original. Example: this week I am doing brakes on the car due to a leaking wheel cylinder. Easy solution: buy the $15 replacement wheel cylinder. My solution: rebuild the original 52 year old wheel cylinder.

To each his own.
Sparty, That is one cute little dog you have as an avatar.
I believe there are a lot of different takes as to how to appreciate a car. I would love to have my 65 complete and know I have used original parts. I would also love to have a restomod.

Get notified of new replies

To Judging Cars

Old 03-15-2013, 12:15 AM
SpartyGW
Burning Brakes

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by 65 fi
Sparty, That is one cute little dog you have as an avatar.
Thanks. He's numbers matching just like my 61. He also sometimes leaks some fluids just like my 61.
Old 03-15-2013, 01:16 AM
Larry P
Burning Brakes

Received 46 Likes on 31 Posts

I built my 60 as close to original as I could. I wanted it to be that way for my personal satisfaction and for the value if I ever need to sell it.
I will never get it judged. I am currently looking at a 66 big block coupe that has been tubbed and would be a replica of a classic race car or resto. I love em all!
Larry
Old 03-15-2013, 02:34 AM
xztau
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by mrtexas
Judging is a competition I don't participate in. Some do. I don't bring my antique cars anywhere nit picking experts hang out. That is one reason I don't attend car club meetings. I don't want to hear what's "wrong" with my car from someone who doesn't own it unless I ask.
I only go to informal get-togethers or shows where there is the option to not be judged. But even at the informal ones there are folks who just can't resist judging your car without being asked. I went to a local cars & coffee thing recently, and one guy came up and asked if he could look at my engine. I popped the hood and the first thing he does is start feeling under the front rim for damage and then tells me that I can get a correct, dated reproduction radiator and I should replace the MSD ignition system that the previous owner put in with an original-type one. Then he goes for the wheel wells to feel for the bonding strips. All this before I said a single word. While organizations like the NCRS serve their purpose (I'm a member), the restore-to-orginal movement they have spawned has created a faction of self-appointed elites that, I must assume, have more money than tact. Most folks, however, smile and get a kick seeing an old, mostly original Vette in good condition, aftermarket ignition or not, which makes up for most of the "judges at large".

Quick Reply: Judging Cars