C1 & C2 Corvettes General C1 Corvette & C2 Corvette Discussion, Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Project Builds, Restorations

The comical side of over zealous restoration...

Search this Thread

Old 03-13-2013, 10:07 AM
Kerrmudgeon
Race Director

Received 4,583 Likes on 2,157 Posts
2020 Corvette of the Year Finalist (appearance mods)
C1 of Year Finalist (appearance mods) 2019

Default The comical side of over zealous restoration...

I saw this and just had to show you guys.........

Correct way to restore a Corvette

NCRS would be proud...

Boy, it really galls my threads when these ignoramuses go off about how the Corvette crowd is 'over-restoring' cars! I say, restored means *exactly* as the factory did it, no matter what. I spent 95 weeks last year doing an accurate and complete ground-up restoration on my '67. And, let me tell you, some of those rubber and glass pieces are *really* hard to restore after grinding them up! Thankfully, the metal pieces are easy to remelt and form.
For some folks, simply applying a bit of overspray while painting is 'good enough.' I scoff at this. I meticulously copied onto the mufflers, droplet by droplet, the exact overspray pattern that was there originally. Even the runs and sags at the bottom of the door panels were duplicated. Your average 'restorer' will just slap some new paint on, calling it 'original' if it is the same color. Jeeez. I chemically removed every vestige of *the original paint*, then broke it down, reformulated it, and re-applied it. Sure, I had to use substitute volatile carrier (thinner), but since it evaporates anyway, I claim that it was not originally 'on the car' when it left the factory gates.
Some folks think using the 'correct' fasteners is good enough. Ha! I made sure to cross-thread the left rear upper transmission crossmember bolt, just as the (sometimes inebriated) factory worker was known to. I removed the third from the right lower grille attachment screw, which a previous owner had erroneously installed, in spite of the well-documented fact that none of these were installed at the factory until after 3:43 pm on October 17th, 1966. I made sure to scratch the frame in the appropriate places, just as the handling mechanisms at the factory did. Some previous owner had removed the scratches, in an effort to make the car 'perfect.' What was he thinking? I even installed the #3 cylinder's exhaust lifter upside down, which was a rare (1 of 3 such built), but documented occurrence. Sure, it runs like hell, but hey, it's _original_!
Some folks get a new set of tires that LOOK like the originals, and call that good enough. Not me. I got THE ORIGINAL tires out of a landfill, ground them up, and restored them. I was able to find about 91.7% of the rubber which had worn off, by vacuuming the roadside dust over the roads the car had travelled, and separating out the correct molecules from the other debris with a double diathermic isopropa diaphanometer molecular identifier. NOT cheap, le me tell you. But, correct is correct. Some folks put on new valve stems and caps, and away they go. We purists know that it IS important to align the seam line on the valve cap to the correct angle, just as it left the factory ('indexed' valve caps).
Changing the oil is considered routine by some 'restorers'. They throw out the old, slap in some new, maybe even 'improved' oil, and a new filter. Not a real purist. I have the original oil broken down and re-refined. The old additives are removed, restructured, and re-added. I even recover as many molecules of the burned or dripped oil as possible, and add them back in. Of course, the filter must be dismantled, which ruins the case, so it has to be remelted and reformed into a filter. Re-using the original paint, of course.
Some bozos throw in a Sears Die-Hard, and off they go. Some so-called restorers buy a reproduction 'tar-top' battery, and call THAT good enough (*scoff*). I found my original battery and remanufactured it. No wimpy replacing the innards with new, either. I melted down the original plates, then recast them in the correct factory molds. Saving the original electrolyte, of course. Now, you might think, gee, that seems pretty far-fetched, this guy is extreme. Well, you ain't seen nothing yet. I also was able to procure the original electrons which had come with the car, and reinstall them. It seems that over the years, the car had given and recieved a few jump starts, and some of the original electrons had thus transferred to other vehicles, and... etc.
Old 03-13-2013, 10:26 AM
MaineDoc
Burning Brakes
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 89 Likes on 60 Posts

Gives new meaning to OCD doesn't it?
Old 03-13-2013, 10:43 AM
Material Boy
Advanced
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Now that is funny!

Old 03-13-2013, 01:38 PM
mgsabrsula
Drifting
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 62 Likes on 56 Posts

I’m OCD and I resemble that remark. It almost sounds as though someone else has had a recent “disagreement” with the great and all-knowing Oz, I mean NCRS…
Old 03-13-2013, 02:49 PM
66L72
Melting Slicks
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

Xlnt!
Old 03-13-2013, 03:03 PM
tuxnharley
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,941 Likes on 1,187 Posts

He forgot about using carbon dating to identify the original air in the tires. That's gotta be at least a 10 point deduction...............
Old 03-13-2013, 03:17 PM
427Hotrod
Race Director

Received 1,895 Likes on 923 Posts
2020 C2 of the Year - Modified Winner
2020 Corvette of the Year (performance mods)
C2 of Year Winner (performance mods) 2019
2017 C2 of Year Finalist

I literally saw a guy that had purchased some ancient scuba tanks that had a date on them showing they were last filled back in 1965. He was claiming to have filled the tires with 1965 air! He even brought the tanks with tags to the car shows all the time!

JIM
Old 03-13-2013, 03:22 PM
tuxnharley
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,941 Likes on 1,187 Posts

Originally Posted by 427Hotrod
I literally saw a guy that had purchased some ancient scuba tanks that had a date on them showing they were last filled back in 1965. He was claiming to have filled the tires with 1965 air! He even brought the tanks with tags to the car shows all the time!

JIM
Holy cr@p! And here I thought I was kidding..............
Old 03-13-2013, 03:22 PM
Mike Ward
Race Director

Received 30 Likes on 28 Posts

Funny stuff but obviously written by somebody that knows nothing about NCRS judging.
Old 03-13-2013, 11:40 PM
Nicola
Pro

Received 14 Likes on 11 Posts

Love SATIRE...gives perspective to all "stuff"
Old 03-14-2013, 07:50 AM
Frankie the Fink
Team Owner

Received 7,084 Likes on 4,737 Posts
Army

I applaud the NCRS crowd - seriously. The same way I admire curators at a museum. But if anybody thinks these cars remained anything close to factory fresh after a week of driving they're smoking crack. As somebody that bought and sold used cars in the '60s I traded in a lot of Corvettes from sailors in Norfolk, Va.. They would buy them with a big wad of money saved from a long cruise, run the snot out of them while home on shore leave for a few weeks or months, then trade them in with just a few miles, before their next 6 month deployment, for something more practical so the stay-at-home wife could carry the kids to the grocery store and that they could afford the insurance on.

In that short time the cars were wrecked, carburetors swapped out, some strange tire put on to replace a flat, Western Auto compasses screwed to the dashboard, original radio wiring chopped to hell to put a reverb in it, fender flares installed, pin stripes added, headers put on, Christmas tree air fresheners hung off the mirrors to dispell the clouds of cigarette smoke, odor of pot or weeks of Boone's Farm Apple Wine f@rts and, you-name-it.

Now THAT is what it was REALLY like day-to-day on the street in the '60s.

Last edited by Frankie the Fink; 03-14-2013 at 07:55 AM.
Old 03-14-2013, 11:19 PM
b_pappy
Melting Slicks

Location: the GOCC are everywhere, even back from "band camp"
Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

Hard to read the article with that gorgeous avatar to look at.
Thanks for making me smile twice.
Bruce
Old 03-15-2013, 12:25 AM
Larry P
Burning Brakes

Received 46 Likes on 31 Posts

Most of the mistaken ideals of the NCRS come from over inthusiastic members and not the judges. I was in a C1 class at Bloomington in 1999 or 2000 with some well respected instructors. Somebody talked about the way they painted the frames by dipping them in a tank. Questions from the class where "which way was it dipped so I will know which way the drips go?" Another wanted to know where it was hooked so they could leave the paint off where the hook was attached.
The instructors all assured everybody that things like that would never be judged.
I was there and observed this and would love to here from anybody that was in that room and remembers what I observed.
I remember that Noland Adams was scheduled to be there and for some reason couldn't attend.
Larry

Last edited by Larry P; 03-15-2013 at 12:30 AM.
Old 03-21-2013, 08:47 AM
MAD IN NC
Team Owner

Received 2,827 Likes on 1,240 Posts
Crowd Plow For Now

http://www.ebay.com/itm/140936052799?ru=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.ebay.com%3A80%2Fsch%2Fi.html%3F_trksid%3Dp2050890.m570.l1313%26_nkw%3D140936052799%26_sacat%3D6000%26_from%3DR40%26_fvi%3D1&_rdc=1
Funny!
Old 03-21-2013, 08:54 AM
csherman
Le Mans Master

Received 1,460 Likes on 742 Posts
C1 of Year Finalist (stock) 2019
2018 C1 of Year Finalist

I think that article was about me......
Old 03-21-2013, 09:03 AM
biggd
Melting Slicks

Received 349 Likes on 212 Posts

All I can say is, thank god for resto mods. These cars should be driven and enjoyed by everyone on a daily basis. Life is too short!
Old 03-21-2013, 09:06 AM
oldsarge
Race Director

Received 14 Likes on 9 Posts

There are all kinds of people in this world, you have to question some of them, sometime.
Old 03-21-2013, 09:09 PM
mike16
Racer

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

was n't there an add on ebay for origional bbc spare tire air with a pn and all?
Old 03-21-2013, 09:36 PM
lawcpi
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Frankie the Fink is all over it !!

Frankie the Fink is 100% correct on how Corvettes were treated back in the early days. I just wanted to say that I could not agree more.

Get notified of new replies

To The comical side of over zealous restoration...

Quick Reply: The comical side of over zealous restoration...