C1 & C2 Corvettes General C1 Corvette & C2 Corvette Discussion, Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Project Builds, Restorations

Seriously considering a move to Florida.

Search this Thread

Old 03-01-2013, 08:02 AM
BOB WINSKI
Melting Slicks

Received 84 Likes on 52 Posts

Originally Posted by Frankie the Fink
You should see some of the old posters with my grandpap from Liberty Street where he did an Al Jolson style 'black face' routine. We put them up when we have certain diverse dinner guests.

As far as Florida -- then you have this of course:
http://www.cfnews13.com/content/news...se_collap.html
Glad, Volusia county is not on that list
Old 03-01-2013, 08:04 AM
RatDog
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,591 Likes on 823 Posts
2023 C2 of the Year Finalist - Unmodified
St. Jude Donor '20-'21-'22-'23-'24

Just saw that on Fox News. They still can't find the guy Bedroom is completely swallowed up, only a mattress is sticking up. Hope they can get to the guy and that he's OK.
Old 03-01-2013, 08:04 AM
Chuck Gongloff
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 565 Likes on 350 Posts

You should see some of the old posters with my grandpap from Liberty Street where he did an Al Jolson style 'black face' routine. We put them up when we have certain diverse dinner guests.

Ah, sinkholes.

Fortunately they're few and far between in Citrus County.

Further South..... yep.

Chuck
Old 03-01-2013, 08:42 AM
corvetteed
Team Owner

Received 363 Likes on 250 Posts
St. Jude Donor '14-'15-'16-'17-'18-'19-'20-'21-'22-'23-'24

Originally Posted by Chuck Gongloff
Don't recall you saying that you grew up in Pittsburgh, Frank.

Me too. Grew up in Beaver County, towards the Ohio border about 30 miles "down" the Ohio River from Pittsburgh.

Went to college and grad school in Pittsburgh... Moved to Maryland in 1972.

Back then, Pittsburgh was gray, ugly, smoggy, sooty..... I think you saw the sun maybe 100 days out of the year there. It was also COLD.

Chuck
I too grew up in Pittsburgh. Gray winters, smog, chilly days. I winter in NC now, but still live there in the summers. I think I read somewhere that they get only 58 days of sunshine a year. Who needs that?!
Old 03-01-2013, 08:54 AM
stratplus
Drifting

Received 36 Likes on 31 Posts

OK OK OK I give up, Florida. Now let me think about this.

Sinkholes so big they will swallow your family then your house!

Snakes so big they eat dogs and babies in a single gulp, just for breakfast!

So many snakes that the state says, we are having a contest on who can kill the most. I'll bet that the movie snakes on the plane was filmed in Florida.

Summer heat so bad it will burn the skin off your body in 2 seconds.

Humidity so bad it will choke you to death.

Frankie bugs so big that they will strip the paint off your car, then move your house to the next county.

Sorry, but give me some cool, dry, snow any day!!
The following users liked this post:
biggd (01-12-2024)
Old 03-01-2013, 09:03 AM
RatDog
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Stratplus, you forgot about the worst part of living in FL . . . we get to drive our cars every day of the year <LOL>.

As far as the snakes, alligators, sinkholes, etc., heck, we just hupe that stuff to keep northerners from coming down here to crowd up the state .
Old 03-01-2013, 09:08 AM
stratplus
Drifting

Received 36 Likes on 31 Posts

Oh, how could I forget about the alligators. Now that could be a new movie. Alligators on the plane!!
Old 03-01-2013, 09:22 AM
RatDog
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Originally Posted by stratplus
Oh, how could I forget about the alligators. Now that could be a new movie. Alligators on the plane!!
Had a 5' one in my yard once <g>. It got road-tripped.
Old 03-01-2013, 06:33 PM
dahogan
Enjoy while you can.
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 2,703 Likes on 1,277 Posts
Ohio Events Coordinator
2023 C8 of the Year Finalist - Unmodified
2022 C2 of the Year Finalist - Unmodified
C2 of Year Finalist (stock) 2019
St. Jude Donor '14-'15-'16-'17-‘18-'19-'20-'21-'22-'23-'24

I love the blossoming of spring, the fall colors with a chill in the air, the summer dog days of August and the occasional snow in the winter. I am 62, about to retire and I am staying .........GO BUCKS.
Old 03-01-2013, 08:03 PM
jdk971
Drifting
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 27 Likes on 26 Posts

Originally Posted by dahogan
I love the blossoming of spring, the fall colors with a chill in the air, the summer dog days of August and the occasional snow in the winter. I am 62, about to retire and I am staying .........GO BUCKS.
dennis you can keep the snow. i hate it. jim
Old 03-01-2013, 09:00 PM
RK-TECT
Racer

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

My father moved our family to South Florida from New Jersey in '72. He went to University of Miami in the early 50's and decided he had to eventually move to Florida. It took him 20 years of shoveling snow to make the move, but it was one of the best decisions he has ever made. Not only do I get to drive my Vette topless for 12 months (other than during the summertime rain), the girls looks soooo much better with a tan and a bikini I went out with a few buddies last night to celebrate a friend's birthday at a great place in Fort Lauderdale. It was a beautiful night hanging at the outdoor bar after dinner... and the "talent" was exceptional We left at 11:30 PM and things were just starting to heat up -- and that was a Thursday night! My friends and I are happily married and stay out of trouble, but it's fun to play outdoors in paradise all year long
Old 03-02-2013, 02:29 AM
Revfan
Safety Car

Received 171 Likes on 120 Posts

Interesting thread... I'll have to go and read through it more carefully....

Anybody chime in on the St Augustine area? Some attractive house prices there... and CNN Money had it listed as a top 5 Tourist town for retirement.

Discuss
Old 03-02-2013, 07:22 AM
Chuck Gongloff
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 565 Likes on 350 Posts

Originally Posted by Revfan

Anybody chime in on the St Augustine area? Some attractive house prices there... and CNN Money had it listed as a top 5 Tourist town for retirement.

Discuss
I have visited St. Augustine twice since I moved to Florida in 08.

Nice area from what I have seen. As you said "tourist town"... lots of history, the first settlement, the old fort, etc.

Florida is SO diverse that it really depends on what type of "lifestyle" you're looking for.

Chuck
Old 03-02-2013, 07:47 AM
RatDog
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Originally Posted by Revfan

Discuss
We lived near St. Augustine for 25 years and visited the town often. Great place. Of course it's in north Florida so the temps are a bit cooler in the winter than further south. But the breeze from the ocean is nice in the summer.

When we moved back to FL after a 7-year hiatus to MN, we bought a house in the Mt. Dora area. It was named as one of the best 50 places to retire by Money Magazine. Home owners insurance is a bit better than the coastal areas, no traffic, lots of health care (required for us older people <g>), and a great car-friendly place with lots of cruise-ins, shows, etc. in the area.
Old 03-02-2013, 02:54 PM
stall
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

We live in South Florida for 6 momths a year and Rochester NY for summer, fall. We love the lifestyle differences. South Fl. is like NYC with much better weather while Rochester is akin to living in Iowa. Ex; You can't get a dinner reservation in Rochester at 6PM at a good restuarant, in Delray Beach you can't get one at 9PM.

We live 3 miles from the Atlantic shore and in 16 years we have yet to see even a fly; we're told that the breeze off the ocean keeps them away. The six months from October to May are pretty much mid-seventies W/O humidity.

Florida is a bunch more user friendly than the peoples republic of New York State but our Grandkids are there; if we make a choice it's Flo0rida.
Old 01-11-2024, 11:55 PM
yovenim
Advanced

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by stratplus
OK OK OK I give up, Florida. Now let me think about this.

Sinkholes so big they will swallow your family then your house!

Snakes so big they eat dogs and babies in a single gulp move around nelspruit, just for breakfast!

So many snakes that the state says, we are having a contest on who can kill the most. I'll bet that the movie snakes on the plane was filmed in Florida.

Summer heat so bad it will burn the skin off your body in 2 seconds.

Humidity so bad it will choke you to death.

Frankie bugs so big that they will strip the paint off your car, then move your house to the next county.

Sorry, but give me some cool, dry, snow any day!!
I am an experienced Optician who wants to relocate to the Fort Lauderdale region. I am looking for full time, non-licensed position as soon as possible! Experience selling and dispensing contact lenses and glasses, insertion & removal training, optical equipment, and great customer service! ABO certified
Old 01-12-2024, 12:41 AM
Ratboy
Racer

Received 84 Likes on 63 Posts

My sister lives in Anchorage - break down in the wrong place in the depths of winter and you DIE! Down here I might have to wait 30 minutes in the heat for AAA to arrive and laugh off the incident over ice tea. As for hurricanes, I went through the 4 storm bullseye over Orlando a few years back. Never lost a so much as a shingle, just buy a house built since Hurricane Andrew (when building codes were beefed up) and buy a single story house inland - no problem.

Bugs - yes, they are freakin' awful for a very few weeks a year. Three varieties that make life miserable:

1) Love Bugs - you must constantly wash off your car after a trip; even avoiding some travel when they are abundant. They will eat through paint AND clear coat after 24 hours and are attracted to hot car exhaust. Particularly annoying because they are constantly having airborne sex in front of your windshield and I get jealous.

2) Midges (Blind Mosquitoes) - these guys don't bite but can come in swarms so think that any open body orifice is inundated - and they taste awful. If you squish them in between your foot and sandals they become organic Velcro. I call em 'JB Weld" bugs.

3) Mayflies - these bugs are what every fisherman tries to emulate with artificial flies. They molt after one day and leave their husks clinging to everything and they have to be pressure washed or pulled off. Click here for gross pictures of these peckers:
http://forums.corvetteforum.com/c1-a...n-florida.html

C'mon down !
How could you forget Fire Ants?! Lived there 10 years. Every time I wanted to work on my car, I had to spray the driveway with Raid.
And I don't know how anyone is paying 1000-1500 for homeowners. When I left in '08 it was over 5k/year, on a $300k house and only Citizens was writing policies.
Oh, and pygmy rattlers? Coral Snakes?
Palmetto Bugs (giant flying roaches)
Bug season is year round - pest control for the house and the lawn is a must.
It rains almost everyday in summer. Sometimes so heavy you cant see where your going and have to stop. Old convertible? It'll drive you nuts with the leaks.
Lawn needs to be mowed twice a week. But you do get the best rainbows!
And try, just try to get some work done on your house! Service guys all have scrambled eggs for brains. Call 5, 3 might call you back, 2 might show up for an estimate, lowest of those two will never return your call!
(Although this last one is probably true everywhere these days!)
Yeah, FL is not for me. but I do know a guy who left for CA, stayed a year and swore he'd never go back there, so to each his own, I suppose.
I'd say rent a place for a year, then decide.
Old 01-12-2024, 02:00 AM
vettebuyer6369
Administrator

Location: About 1100 miles from where I call home. Blue lives matter.
Received 5,358 Likes on 2,786 Posts

Almost 11 years later?
The following 3 users liked this post by vettebuyer6369:
Lotsacubes (01-12-2024), marshal135 (01-12-2024), PWPOOP (01-12-2024)

Quick Reply: Seriously considering a move to Florida.