C1 & C2 Corvettes General C1 Corvette & C2 Corvette Discussion, Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Project Builds, Restorations

Evans Waterless Coolant

Search this Thread

Old 06-02-2013, 04:57 PM
65tripleblack
Safety Car

Received 235 Likes on 212 Posts

Originally Posted by Matt Gruber
20 years ago i got a brochure from EVANS. says u can run up to 12:1 on pump gas and 16.5:1 on 108 race gas!
Sounded too good to be true, but, i've kept a lookout for anyone doing that.
So far, 20 YEARS, i've not run across anyone with 12:1 on the street with evans. Do they still claim 12:1 ??
The argument doesn't hold water.

By simply stating an engine's SCR, you're only showing part of the picture. Intake valve closing point is needed and that's a good reason to specify DCR, which, by definition, is the compression ratio obtained by using the REMAINING stroke after the intake closes, rather than the entire crank stroke.

For instance: a 12:1 SCR 327 whose intake valve closes at 80* ABDC can run 93 octane pump hi-test all day long without detonation.
Old 06-02-2013, 11:02 PM
vetsvette2002
Melting Slicks

Received 287 Likes on 162 Posts
St. Jude Donor '13-'14-'15-'16

Originally Posted by lurch59
But he's still boiling, and will continue to boil unless he raises the pressure in the system or raises the boiling point of the coolant.
Or maybe he is OVER FILLING the system and it is merely trying to go to its own level.
Old 06-03-2013, 07:36 PM
gonefishn
Drifting

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts
St. Jude Donor '09

I also agree that if everything is configured as OEM, then if there wasn't a problem in the day then there shouldn't be one now.

On this one car I cannot figure out why it pukes only after shutdown. I can hear it start boiling then it shoots out (very embarrassing).

The radiator cap was checked and two different ones used that matched the OEM spec. My understanding is the radiator cap only adds pressure in order to raise the antifreeze boiling point. I don't feel comfortable going with a higher pressure.

I had a Robert Shaw thermostat and went back to 100% OEM that improved the situation but still when its hot out the radiator pukes.

The vacuum advance uses full vacuum (ie not ported). The only setting outside of OEM is the timing advance is ~2 degrees higher.

I was thinking if this Evan PG antifreeze boiling point was higher then it wouldn't boil after the coolant stops circulating after shutdown and cause the pressure to build too high and puke coolant.
Old 06-05-2013, 01:11 AM
sub006
Race Director

Received 59 Likes on 52 Posts

So you can just pour it anywhere when you're done with it, even if the drain leads to the ocean? COOL!
Old 06-05-2013, 04:24 PM
JohnZ
Team Owner

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,857 Likes on 1,100 Posts

Originally Posted by gonefishn

On this one car I cannot figure out why it pukes only after shutdown. I can hear it start boiling then it shoots out (very embarrassing).

The radiator cap was checked and two different ones used that matched the OEM spec. My understanding is the radiator cap only adds pressure in order to raise the antifreeze boiling point. I don't feel comfortable going with a higher pressure.
Cooling systems only "puke" during hot-soak after shutdown for two reasons - the radiator cap isn't holding pressure (pressure increases the boiling point), and/or the system is too full of coolant (coolant WILL expand during hot-soak, and if there's no expansion space in the system, it'll "puke" through the overflow). That's why the "full cold" mark on conventional radiators is 2-3 inches below the filler neck, and it's at the 1/2-full level on separate expansion tanks. If you keep topping it off, it'll keep "puking".
Old 04-15-2014, 04:47 PM
Bogustoms
2nd Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Anybody know where to get my C3 converted to Evans coolant in The Los Angeles area?
Old 04-15-2014, 06:11 PM
leif.anderson93
Le Mans Master

Received 3,098 Likes on 1,866 Posts

Originally Posted by Mike Cipolla
Has anyone used this coolant in their C2?

www.evanscoolong.com
Mike,

I have thought about using this product and here's why I didn't. When talking with some of the guys about this, and the fact that Evans tells you to completely drain your cooling system and either let it air dry overnight or blow high pressure air thru the system before adding their product so that it doesn't mix with any of the old alchohol based coolant, the question arose...what happens if you have an overheating/leaking hose problem when out on the road?? Can you easily/readily find some Evans coolant to top off after making repairs. The consensus was "No" probably not...but antifreeze is available everywhere. Hence, I still use 50/50 blend of Zerex. JMO
Old 04-15-2014, 11:40 PM
lurch59
Pro

Received 31 Likes on 27 Posts

Originally Posted by Bogustoms
Anybody know where to get my C3 converted to Evans coolant in The Los Angeles area?
Call Evans and see who is available there? Any reason not to do it yourself? It's not that hard...
Old 04-15-2014, 11:47 PM
lurch59
Pro

Originally Posted by leif.anderson93
Mike,

I have thought about using this product and here's why I didn't. When talking with some of the guys about this, and the fact that Evans tells you to completely drain your cooling system and either let it air dry overnight or blow high pressure air thru the system before adding their product so that it doesn't mix with any of the old alchohol based coolant, the question arose...what happens if you have an overheating/leaking hose problem when out on the road?? Can you easily/readily find some Evans coolant to top off after making repairs. The consensus was "No" probably not...but antifreeze is available everywhere. Hence, I still use 50/50 blend of Zerex. JMO
Hoses and water pumps have a predictable life span. If you ignore maintenance, your biggest bills will be from a towing company. I drive a lot, and haven't had a hose blow or an overheating problem for over 30 years. I love the Evans coolant, most likely you'll see a small leak and it gives you warning to get it checked. Don't ignore the drips on the garage floor. JMO
Old 04-16-2014, 12:31 AM
lurch59
Pro

Originally Posted by JohnZ
No, they don't, and no "answer" is required when there's no question to begin with; you are fervently seeking a problem that doesn't exist in order to apply an expensive "solution" that's unnecessary.

Here's all you need to know about Corvette cooling systems:

http://www.lbfun.com/warehouse/tech_...em/cooling.pdf

The cures for cooling system issues don't come in bottles - they come in boxes.
Well, it's time for an update. I just drove my 690 hp big block c3 about 400 miles to a corvette shop to have it painted. I'm using the same 2 row aluminum radiator that I had for the 300 hp small block. I pulled into the shop and used his infared gun to measure the temp at the thermostat housing, which read 162 degrees. This is with the Evans coolant. Granted it's not summer yet, but it was a 70 degree day and it seems there is a lot of safety margin in the system.

BTW big block corvettes do tend to run hot, and more so if horsepower is increased.
Old 04-16-2014, 07:53 AM
Frankie the Fink
Team Owner

Received 7,082 Likes on 4,736 Posts
Army

Mike,

I wouldn't touch it with a 10' pole. I realize this research is done by a firm touting a competing product; even so it was enough to steer me far clear of this silver bullet:

http://www.norosion.com/evanstest.htm
Old 04-16-2014, 09:16 AM
biggd
Melting Slicks

Received 349 Likes on 212 Posts

GM uses Dex-cool in all their new vehicles. This product is readily available and better than the old green coolant. I thought about using the Evans coolant but I just couldn't see the value in it. If your car runs hot then you have other problems you need to deal with first.
Old 04-16-2014, 02:05 PM
lurch59
Pro

Originally Posted by Frankie the Fink
I wouldn't touch it with a 10' pole. I realize this research is done by a firm touting a competing product; even so it was enough to steer me far clear of this silver bullet:

http://www.norosion.com/evanstest.htm
The article was interesting but I'm always wary of "geographic" testing, meaning the results of my competitors product tested at my facility proves mine is superior. Nevertheless it is something to consider. But...
Just because OEM is designed for a lighter viscosity doesn't mean it's a problem. It's the equivalent of saying we shouldn't increase hp in our engines because they were designed to be stock. I know of no water pump failures from running Evans, I've got it in 4 cars/trucks.

It's true heat transfer is superior for water, but Evans isn't "almost half" but closer to 2/3. An issue to be sure but let's not exaggerate. Also I'm having a hard time believing the super hot head temps because I've seen no increase in operating temps from my experience. If it sheads heat so poorly how can it cool off so quickly and not increase overall engine temps I've also seen graphs where the torque increased across the power band on a dyno after changing to Evans. Once again, "geographic" testing?
Evans can burn but it must be vaporized and sprayed on a hot manifold or turbo to ignite. I mean, we have pressurized fuel lines running under the hood, so we can't worry about everything. This must be also compared with all those serious steam burns that occur as a system component fails and superheated pressurized steam injures someone opening the hood.
Old 04-16-2014, 02:14 PM
JohnZ
Team Owner

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,857 Likes on 1,100 Posts

See post #55.
Old 04-16-2014, 03:56 PM
lurch59
Pro

See post #55.
I've seen it and don't agree. Both Corvette shops I've had work on my car stated big blocks run hot. I've found a product that works for me, no corrosion due to acidic pH because of water present, and a lifetime coolant. It's not expensive if you keep your car for a long time, and 160 bucks for coolant isn't expensive in comparison to say fuel costs. If this seems expensive to you, I'm wondering why you don't drive a Honda.. remember I never flush and change the coolant in any of my vehicles any more. You will, many more times.
Old 04-17-2014, 01:09 PM
robert miller
Team Owner

Received 1,762 Likes on 1,529 Posts

Originally Posted by lurch59
The article was interesting but I'm always wary of "geographic" testing, meaning the results of my competitors product tested at my facility proves mine is superior. Nevertheless it is something to consider. But...
Just because OEM is designed for a lighter viscosity doesn't mean it's a problem. It's the equivalent of saying we shouldn't increase hp in our engines because they were designed to be stock. I know of no water pump failures from running Evans, I've got it in 4 cars/trucks.

It's true heat transfer is superior for water, but Evans isn't "almost half" but closer to 2/3. An issue to be sure but let's not exaggerate. Also I'm having a hard time believing the super hot head temps because I've seen no increase in operating temps from my experience. If it sheads heat so poorly how can it cool off so quickly and not increase overall engine temps I've also seen graphs where the torque increased across the power band on a dyno after changing to Evans. Once again, "geographic" testing?
Evans can burn but it must be vaporized and sprayed on a hot manifold or turbo to ignite. I mean, we have pressurized fuel lines running under the hood, so we can't worry about everything. This must be also compared with all those serious steam burns that occur as a system component fails and superheated pressurized steam injures someone opening the hood.
This stuff works really good in my street car c5 vette with is a 427 procharger car. Never put it in the 65 vette, put also have it in my 57 chev 540 ci car also works great in it. The stuff is not cheap but does work in the c5 great. Plus their water pump works good but also is not cheap. Robert
Old 04-17-2014, 06:42 PM
leif.anderson93
Le Mans Master

No, they don't, and no "answer" is required when there's no question to begin with; you are fervently seeking a problem that doesn't exist in order to apply an expensive "solution" that's unnecessary.

Here's all you need to know about Corvette cooling systems:

http://www.lbfun.com/warehouse/tech_...em/cooling.pdf

The cures for cooling system issues don't come in bottles - they come in boxes.
John,

John Hinckley's article on Corvette cooling systems was the most logical article I have read on the subject. When I was having minor issues with my car, Joe Lucia was kind enough to forward me John's article and I was ultimately able to solve my overheating problems. His article covers all the bases and the basics. Thanks for re-posting. I had been looking for it to share with others, as well.

Get notified of new replies

To Evans Waterless Coolant

Old 04-17-2014, 09:18 PM
vetsvette2002
Melting Slicks

Received 287 Likes on 162 Posts
St. Jude Donor '13-'14-'15-'16

John,

John Hinckley's article on Corvette cooling systems was the most logical article I have read on the subject. When I was having minor issues with my car, Joe Lucia was kind enough to forward me John's article and I was ultimately able to solve my overheating problems. His article covers all the bases and the basics. Thanks for re-posting. I had been looking for it to share with others, as well.
JohnZ IS John Hinckley
Old 04-17-2014, 09:53 PM
leif.anderson93
Le Mans Master

Originally Posted by vetsvette2002
JohnZ IS John Hinckley
Well, there ya go!!!
Old 04-18-2014, 01:28 AM
lurch59
Pro

Originally Posted by robert miller
This stuff works really good in my street car c5 vette with is a 427 procharger car. Never put it in the 65 vette, put also have it in my 57 chev 540 ci car also works great in it. The stuff is not cheap but does work in the c5 great. Plus their water pump works good but also is not cheap. Robert
Well I believe you but for other skeptics here on the forum I should take posession of your cars for the summer and personally drive them to verify what you are saying. It's for science.....when can I pick them up?

Quick Reply: Evans Waterless Coolant