C1 & C2 Corvettes General C1 Corvette & C2 Corvette Discussion, Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Project Builds, Restorations

Roadster vs Convertible?

Search this Thread

Old 02-26-2013, 12:50 PM
91DRM
Team Owner

Received 329 Likes on 229 Posts

Originally Posted by mspry
I agree with post #4
fixt: Guys, if you get bored with this one, go to search, whole bunch of threads on this.
Old 02-26-2013, 01:16 PM
65tripleblack
Safety Car

Received 235 Likes on 212 Posts

Ragtop.

NCRS types like the word "roadster" because it suggests exoticism and reinforces their misconception that their prized possession is worth more than the Hope Diamond.

Most normal, non-OCD afflicted and non-delusional people use convertible, droptop, 'vert and ragtop almost interchangeably.

Landau, cabriolet and drophead are also permissible.
Old 02-26-2013, 01:25 PM
wmf62
Race Director

Received 727 Likes on 621 Posts
St. Jude Donor '07

Originally Posted by 65tripleblack
Ragtop.

NCRS types like the word "roadster" because it suggests exoticism and reinforces their misconception that their prized possession is worth more than the Hope Diamond.

Most normal, non-OCD afflicted and non-delusional people use convertible, droptop, 'vert and ragtop almost interchangeably.

Landau, cabriolet and drophead are also permissible.
'drophead'... ????
Bill
Old 02-26-2013, 02:07 PM
ChattanoogaJSB
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 875 Likes on 538 Posts

You guys that feel so strongly against the word "vert" are being a little picky. I admit to stirring the pot when I said I had a predilection FOR the word [I don't], but c'mon, are you really going to disparage a fellow Corvette nut if he uses the word "vert" but accept him if he likes the time-honored phrase "ragtop" or some such thing? They are all, after all, colloquialisms, are they not? I'm not sure anything of this sort should divide old Corvette folks into "Ok versus not-Ok" enthusiasts... hopefully you know it's true, too.

When I order a Coke, I don't ask for a "pop" nor do I ask for a "soda," but my wife will ask for a "soda" because she went to school in E. PA. He folks will ask for a "pop." It's cool with me, and I don't think they need to be drawn and quartered for it.
Old 02-26-2013, 02:10 PM
wmf62
Race Director

Received 727 Likes on 621 Posts
St. Jude Donor '07

yeah, but when i order a Coke at Pizza Hut they ask if Pepsi will be allright...
Bill
Old 02-26-2013, 02:36 PM
Ironcross
Race Director

Received 40 Likes on 36 Posts

Originally Posted by Kerrmudgeon
Ragger, droptop, ragtop, roadster, convertible, call it any of those, but unless you're wearing gold chains and corvette insignia clothing, using Zaino weekly, and belong to a nerdy Vette club, don't EVER call a classic a VERT!! ::

I like this as i`m a Roadster person and I think I have enough seniority in Vettes to make that statement......I could add my pet peeve is the word beside 'vert, is 'fuelie!
Old 02-26-2013, 03:09 PM
vetsvette2002
Melting Slicks

Received 287 Likes on 162 Posts
St. Jude Donor '13-'14-'15-'16

Originally Posted by 65hihp
ain't gonna happen bub. You young and hipsters need everything to be quick and easy. We don't.
by the way, what brings you to the C1/2 forum? We're slow and old fashioned here. Cars don't get plugged into computers here.
Don't forget to wave. We're waving at you.
Uh, I'm 64 and use the term vert. It never was just for the young uns.
But if you consider me young and a hipster, well......thanks!
Old 02-26-2013, 03:15 PM
ChattanoogaJSB
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Originally Posted by Ironcross
I like this as i`m a Roadster person and I think I have enough seniority in Vettes to make that statement......I could add my pet peeve is the word beside 'vert, is 'fuelie!
This is getting pretty childish...Kerrmudgeon has said, in a nutshell, you can used any litany of terms I like and you're OK, but use another word and you fall into an undesirable group of Corvette people. Those people must be undesirable because of their shirt and choice of...wax. Yeah?

Really folks?! I am wrong to be surprised where this thread has gone, should have been obvious. It seems the old Corvette world is like High School where you can be in and out of a group in a moment because you fail to say the right thing in the right way at the right time, wear the right thing, or be friendly to the right folks.

When we start talking Corvette seniority, we are taking ourselves way too seriously indeed. I'm guess at 32 years old and a new and old Corvette under my belt, my accepting attitude is probably about to get me run off from here. If it has to be that way it's a shame. But remember, I'll still be waving when I drive by in the 2009, just like I was in the 1969, just like I plan to do in the '65.

I notice you don't hear GrandpaulZ or Garrett drawing and quartering people for saying "vert" or "fuelie" or "SWC" etc. Yeah, they have seniority, but they also have enough class to know better, it seems.
Old 02-26-2013, 03:17 PM
vetsvette2002
Melting Slicks

Received 287 Likes on 162 Posts
St. Jude Donor '13-'14-'15-'16

Originally Posted by kerrmudgeon
ragger, droptop, ragtop, roadster, convertible, call it any of those, but unless you're wearing gold chains and corvette insignia clothing, using zaino weekly, and belong to a nerdy vette club, don't ever call a classic a vert!!

VERT!!

VERT!!

VERT!!

Old 02-26-2013, 03:54 PM
65hihp
Le Mans Master

Received 3,263 Likes on 1,686 Posts

Originally Posted by vetsvette2002

VERT!!

VERT!!

VERT!!

suggest you drive your corvette roadster immediately to your nearest BMW dealer and trade her in on a shiney new bimmer vert.
you are not worthy.
Old 02-26-2013, 04:02 PM
65hihp
Le Mans Master

Received 3,263 Likes on 1,686 Posts

Originally Posted by ChattanoogaJSB
This is getting pretty childish...Kerrmudgeon has said, in a nutshell, you can used any litany of terms I like and you're OK, but use another word and you fall into an undesirable group of Corvette people. Those people must be undesirable because of their shirt and choice of...wax. Yeah?

Really folks?! I am wrong to be surprised where this thread has gone, should have been obvious. It seems the old Corvette world is like High School where you can be in and out of a group in a moment because you fail to say the right thing in the right way at the right time, wear the right thing, or be friendly to the right folks.

When we start talking Corvette seniority, we are taking ourselves way too seriously indeed. I'm guess at 32 years old and a new and old Corvette under my belt, my accepting attitude is probably about to get me run off from here. If it has to be that way it's a shame. But remember, I'll still be waving when I drive by in the 2009, just like I was in the 1969, just like I plan to do in the '65.

I notice you don't hear GrandpaulZ or Garrett drawing and quartering people for saying "vert" or "fuelie" or "SWC" etc. Yeah, they have seniority, but they also have enough class to know better, it seems.
OK, listen up youngster,
someday you too will be old like us, and you will find the ways of your younger generation at that time to be irritating at the least, and often times offensive. It is the way it is.
second, unless someone is offering some kind of technical advice concerning a C1/2 vette, most of what is bantered about here is nonsense. Don't get your panties all twisted over it. We're just having a little fun with your post. It doesn't mean squat. You're welcome here, just put up a C1/2 as your avatar, and try to remember how much we hate the word vert when describing your soft top vette. We offend easy.
Old 02-26-2013, 04:21 PM
ChattanoogaJSB
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Originally Posted by 65hihp
unless someone is offering some kind of technical advice concerning a C1/2 vette, most of what is bantered about here is nonsense. Don't get your panties all twisted over it. We're just having a little fun with your post. It doesn't mean squat.
I can appreciate that.

I like a room-for-everyone attitude, and I generally believe that's what's going on here on the C1/C2 forum

I'll still be wavin'.

-b

P.S. I've only ever bought and shopped for coupes, including the present search, so doubtful I will draw any ire when I haul an old car home. Hard to mess up the "coupe" term... but will I be allowed to say it coup-eh in a British accent from time to time?
Old 02-26-2013, 04:58 PM
White Monster
Racer

Received 16 Likes on 10 Posts

What I always understood was that; a roadster can have a top but does not have roll up side windows.
I refer to my '65 convertible as a roadster all the time ...
Old 02-26-2013, 05:57 PM
Frankie the Fink
Team Owner

Received 7,082 Likes on 4,736 Posts
Army

Geez - you youngsters probably don't remember when "flip top" cigarette packs came out in the late '50s. That also became a name for convertible cars for a decade at least (probably longer). I distinctly remember our neighbors '57 'flip top' Chevy BelAir.

I now use 'vert' a whole lot.

Get over it - it's the cell phone/texting millennium.
OMG WTF? ROFLMFAO

Oh and I DO know what a roadster is!
Attached Images  

Last edited by Frankie the Fink; 02-26-2013 at 06:12 PM.
Old 02-26-2013, 06:03 PM
65tripleblack
Safety Car

Received 235 Likes on 212 Posts

Originally Posted by wmf62
'drophead'... ????
Bill
Royt mate.
This apployes to sofabeds as well.
Seriously.
Cheers, and keep it bonnet side up.
Cheerio lad!
Old 02-26-2013, 06:27 PM
65GGvert
Team Owner

Received 3,217 Likes on 2,301 Posts

I use vert a lot in print, never in conversation. It's easier to type than convertible and anyone with a smidgeon of sense knows what is meant by vert.
I think I'll call my coupe a non-vert.
Old 02-26-2013, 06:47 PM
BADBIRDCAGE
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,963 Likes on 1,055 Posts

Originally Posted by Frankie the Fink
Geez - you youngsters probably don't remember when "flip top" cigarette packs came out in the late '50s. That also became a name for convertible cars for a decade at least (probably longer). I distinctly remember our neighbors '57 'flip top' Chevy BelAir.

I now use 'vert' a whole lot.

Get over it - it's the cell phone/texting millennium.
OMG WTF? ROFLMFAO

Oh and I DO know what a roadster is!

Frank: is that an "A" model MG of late 50's vintage?

Get notified of new replies

To Roadster vs Convertible?

Old 02-26-2013, 07:04 PM
Frankie the Fink
Team Owner

Received 7,082 Likes on 4,736 Posts
Army

Originally Posted by BADBIRDCAGE
Yup 1959 MGA. With pop out side windows.
Old 02-26-2013, 07:49 PM
BADBIRDCAGE
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,963 Likes on 1,055 Posts

Originally Posted by Frankie the Fink
Yup 1959 MGA. With pop out side windows.
My brother had one of those. IIRC you had to assemble the top support frame from a bag of tubes, lay the top over it and snap it down front and rear. Was a great car though.
Old 02-26-2013, 09:08 PM
00fxd
Melting Slicks

Received 41 Likes on 39 Posts

Originally Posted by BADBIRDCAGE
Great little roadsters, unless the sun goes behind a cloud. Or the likely event that the smoke gets out of the electrical components ....

Quick Reply: Roadster vs Convertible?