C1 & C2 Corvettes General C1 Corvette & C2 Corvette Discussion, Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Project Builds, Restorations

SB ride quality? 460lb spring vs stock 293lb

Search this Thread

Old 02-22-2013, 01:45 PM
Aestey
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default SB ride quality? 460lb spring vs stock 293lb

I have a 63 small block and want to replace the stock (sagging) springs with 460's (F41). I understand the handling will be better with the 460's but am concerned about a harsher ride. I don't want to sacrifice much in ride quality. For those that have made this switch was there much of a difference in ride quality? thanks.
Old 02-22-2013, 01:52 PM
magicv8
Le Mans Master

Received 18 Likes on 16 Posts

Originally Posted by Aestey
I have a 63 small block and want to replace the stock (sagging) springs with 460's (F41). I understand the handling will be better with the 460's but am concerned about a harsher ride. I don't want to sacrifice much in ride quality. For those that have made this switch was there much of a difference in ride quality? thanks.
To keep the ride quality comparable, I had to install a new set of standard gas pressure shocks at both ends of the car. High performance shocks or old shocks will make city streets uncomfortable.
Old 02-22-2013, 02:06 PM
Scott Marzahl
Le Mans Master

Received 194 Likes on 149 Posts

You will want something like Bilstein HD shocks or cheaper KYB GR2 shocks to go with the higher spring rate.
Old 02-22-2013, 02:28 PM
magicv8
Le Mans Master

Received 18 Likes on 16 Posts

Actually, for a "comfortable" ride, I found that the reverse is true, and plain vanilla Monroe shocks softened the potholes when I removed the KYBs.

Last edited by magicv8; 02-22-2013 at 02:36 PM.
Old 02-22-2013, 03:32 PM
65 vette dude
Melting Slicks

Received 17 Likes on 16 Posts

Originally Posted by magicv8
Actually, for a "comfortable" ride, I found that the reverse is true, and plain vanilla Monroe shocks softened the potholes when I removed the KYBs.
I bought KYB GR2 and couldn't stand them. Very stiff ride IMO. Unless you plan on road racing, I would get the small block 9 leaf spring from Eaton, and get the Monroe, Gabriel Ultras, or Delco Advantage shocks. I have the Delco gas shocks , and they are a little stiffer than than the base Monroe, but they are acceptable IMO. By the way, last I heard, Gabriel makes Delco shocks. You wil pay a lot more for Delco, than you would if you walked into AutoZone and bought the Gabriel Ultras..
Old 02-22-2013, 05:00 PM
Aestey
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have already replaced the rear leaf with a 330# monospring and Delco Professional gas shocks all around. It has been a nice upgrade, but need to replace the saggy front coils. I would like to go with 460's but the tech at Corv Central says the 460's will make for a considerably firmer ride, which I would like to avoid. Are the 460's really going to be that much harsher? Thx.
Old 02-23-2013, 07:47 AM
mashinter
Drifting

Received 71 Likes on 46 Posts

Originally Posted by Aestey
I have already replaced the rear leaf with a 330# monospring and Delco Professional gas shocks all around. It has been a nice upgrade, but need to replace the saggy front coils. I would like to go with 460's but the tech at Corv Central says the 460's will make for a considerably firmer ride, which I would like to avoid. Are the 460's really going to be that much harsher? Thx.
Chevy learned with the C4 ('84 Z51) that objectionable ride comes mostly from a too stiff rear spring.
Old 04-23-2014, 09:22 AM
bluester
Instructor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Default Ditto on the KYB's

Originally Posted by 65 vette dude
I bought KYB GR2 and couldn't stand them. Very stiff ride IMO. Unless you plan on road racing, I would get the small block 9 leaf spring from Eaton, and get the Monroe, Gabriel Ultras, or Delco Advantage shocks. I have the Delco gas shocks , and they are a little stiffer than than the base Monroe, but they are acceptable IMO. By the way, last I heard, Gabriel makes Delco shocks. You wil pay a lot more for Delco, than you would if you walked into AutoZone and bought the Gabriel Ultras..
KYB's on the rear of my 67 sb made it pogo over bumps, enought to drive you nuts. The black Gabriel gas shocks were much better. But, thats all relative. Why do C2's ride so horrible over uneven pavement in general? I've had three different brands of shocks on mine, the Gabriels are the best, but compared to other cars of a similar weight, newer Mustangs, my old Toyota Solara, My C5 it's terrible. Any thoughts ? Roadster Frame flex? Stock springs still too stiff?

Get notified of new replies

To SB ride quality? 460lb spring vs stock 293lb

Quick Reply: SB ride quality? 460lb spring vs stock 293lb