C1 & C2 Corvettes General C1 Corvette & C2 Corvette Discussion, Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Project Builds, Restorations

? differences in types of distributor

Search this Thread

Old 02-21-2013, 09:54 PM
DMG64
Heel & Toe

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default ? differences in types of distributor

hello all, i may be oblivious to the differences of c2 and c3 specific distributors but i am in the process of researching and buying a decent used distributor for my fathers 64 with a mild 350 c.i. in it. i came across this diagram at corvette world identifying different type of distributors and the HP rating associated with them http://corvette-world.com/corvette_1...stributors.php
i would like to use a 1971 part # 1112050 distributor for my fathers engine. my question is is it better to "find" a distributor with a higher HP rating to make a more desirable and better performing distributor in means of making power, or it doesn't matter what distributor you have it all comes down to how well the distributor is set up and dialed in to make power. thanks david
Old 02-21-2013, 10:01 PM
Nowhere Man
Team Owner

Received 6,928 Likes on 4,774 Posts
2015 C2 of Year Finalist

If you know how to change the vacumn advance can, springs and wights you can make the disb any hp configuration you want
Old 02-22-2013, 10:54 AM
JohnZ
Team Owner

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,856 Likes on 1,099 Posts

Originally Posted by DMG64
i would like to use a 1971 part # 1112050 distributor for my fathers engine. my question is is it better to "find" a distributor with a higher HP rating to make a more desirable and better performing distributor in means of making power, or it doesn't matter what distributor you have it all comes down to how well the distributor is set up and dialed in to make power. thanks david
No such thing as a "higher HP rating distributor" - all 1962-1974 Corvette distributors are identical, except for the "tuning" components ("football" on top of the mainshaft, advance weights/springs, vacuum advance unit, etc.). Rebuild it properly and have the curve set up on a Sun machine, and you can set it up however you like.

Get notified of new replies

To ? differences in types of distributor

Quick Reply: ? differences in types of distributor