C1 & C2 Corvettes General C1 Corvette & C2 Corvette Discussion, Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Project Builds, Restorations

Body lift off or not

Search this Thread

Old 02-21-2013, 03:32 PM
new vette 62
Racer
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts

Default Body lift off or not

I started a thread earlier on changing the motor in my 1965 Corvette to a big block from a small block. So far here is what I have accomplished; new brakes, new parking brakes, new parking brake cable, all new front bushings and ball joints, complete new wiring harness, new vintage air, rack and pinion, and the project creep goes on. I have also rebuilt the headlight motors, the gauges and dash, and other bits that needed blasted and painted. Anyway motor is out, all brake parts and clutch parts from inside to outside are out. Now for the big question should I replace the brake lines front to back and the fuel line front to back? I know this means lifting the body, nothing on this car so far has been rusty, how far away from lifting the body off am I? Then if I lift the body off just to replace these parts, how crazy am I not to paint the entire frame etc. Thanks in advance.
Old 02-21-2013, 03:57 PM
Bluestripe67
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 2,127 Likes on 1,466 Posts
C2 of the Year Finalist - Modified 2020

Oh this is project creep! You have done a truck load of work already and that can lead you on. To me this is a difficult call. Do you have the place and the space along with the necessary body support cradle? Is there something you see about the lines that is leading you to replace them? The fuel line is partially inside of the frame, so replacing it is a real task. Brake lines are no problem. If you do pull the body, that is the time to refinish the frame. Dennis
Old 02-21-2013, 11:59 PM
Larry P
Burning Brakes

Received 46 Likes on 31 Posts

Do it all! If you do 90% and are out driving 5 years from now, the other 10% will get you. You'll sleep better. I would not put anything back on the car unless it was new or restored to new. If anything goes wrong it will probably be my fault. You can't understand the satisfaction of driving a car you built yourself until you have done it.
Larry
Old 02-22-2013, 06:56 AM
csysman
Drifting

Received 42 Likes on 24 Posts

Dont stop now - sounds like you've done almost all the hard work - lift the body and do the complete ... if you dont it will play in the back of your mind ( if it was me I would regret not doing it) sounds like you plan on keeping the car ..go for it
Old 02-22-2013, 10:18 AM
new vette 62
Racer
Support Corvetteforum!

Default What can't I get to?

Other than painting the top of the frame and replacing the fuel line what else can't I get to with out lifting the body?
Old 02-22-2013, 02:22 PM
Larry N. Johnson
Burning Brakes

Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts

Originally Posted by new vette 62
Other than painting the top of the frame and replacing the fuel line what else can't I get to with out lifting the body?
That's what I am thinking, too. Those body shims and bolts look like torture to me. I know a lot of guys do it, and to them I aplaud.

In othr words STOP CREEPING!
Old 05-06-2013, 11:59 AM
new vette 62
Racer
Support Corvetteforum!

Default Now What

1965 Coupe originally a small block. Ok so I pulled the body off. I had the frame blasted and powder coated. It looks good. I did replace the brake lines and fuel line with new. I put the new 427 in and ran into some issues. I put on a serpentine belt system and the front pulley hits the frame. I am putting on a rack and pinion steering system and it hits the oil pan. I guess I have some options. Change the oil pan for steering clearance and use a smaller pulley for the serpentine system. Or raise the motor 1/2 inch. Raising the motor is the simplest as I have an L88 hood so clearance won't be an issue. I know it will change the drive line angle, too much I don't know. Let's have some opinions.
Old 05-06-2013, 12:43 PM
Pilot Dan
Le Mans Master

Received 428 Likes on 318 Posts

I know that the front crossmember on the big block cars was notched to allow for the lower pulley clearance, I am sure you could fix that. Someone else will chime in with a more detailed answer for you about the steering. Pilot Dan
Old 05-06-2013, 12:50 PM
claysmoker
Race Director

Received 58 Likes on 50 Posts
St. Jude Donor '09-'11-'12-'13-'14

I thought the same thing when we did the '64. My son talked me into ripping in completely apart and though it was a helluva lot more work, in the end he was right and the completed piece is well worth the aggravation and expense.

Just do it!
Old 05-06-2013, 02:40 PM
TC233
CF Senior Fox Bat
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 616 Likes on 359 Posts

Lifting the body can mean lifting it 6 inches to replace the lines and mounts.... more creep lol.

Get notified of new replies

To Body lift off or not

Quick Reply: Body lift off or not