C1 & C2 Corvettes General C1 Corvette & C2 Corvette Discussion, Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Project Builds, Restorations

63 driver's door latch fixed

Search this Thread

Old 02-18-2013, 01:06 PM
mrtexas
Drifting

Received 65 Likes on 50 Posts

Default 63 driver's door latch fixed

My driver's door latch was worn and I couldn't reliably open it from the inside. It is always the driver's door that wears out first.
Outside button worked OK. After studying the mechanism I came up with this fix:

1 is the catch that moves to open the door

2 is the wheel that spins freely when the door latch is pulled from the inside or from the outside button to open the door
The other side of wheel 2 is on the outside of the door that engages the latch on the door jamb.

3 is the lever that the inside door pull rod pulls on to open

4 is the other end of lever 3 from a side view. It is worn down and notched enough so that catch 1 wouldn't clear wheel 2 to open the door

To the right of 5 is the stop for lever 3. It took a very little filing just to the right of the number 5 and now
catch 1 clears wheel 2 by 1/4 inch or so as it does when the outside button is pushed.

As usual something else needed to be hacked. I had to file away a little of the fiberglass inside the door
so the lever could move further, see the fg snow at the bottom.

Getting the driver's door to open correctly from the inside was very satisfying!

Last edited by mrtexas; 02-18-2013 at 03:27 PM.

Quick Reply: 63 driver's door latch fixed