C1 & C2 Corvettes General C1 Corvette & C2 Corvette Discussion, Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Project Builds, Restorations

Heavily modified '63 Corvette a George Barris creation - must see! (Pics enclosed)

Search this Thread

Old 02-13-2013, 10:03 AM
racelance
Melting Slicks

Received 120 Likes on 68 Posts
St. Jude Donor '09

Default Heavily modified '63 Corvette a George Barris creation - must see! (Pics enclosed)

So, does anyone remember this car on the show circuit?

Corvettes at Carlisle has been wowing enthusiasts of all ages and backgrounds since the event’s debut in 1982. In the 30+ years since, tens of thousands of Corvettes have made their way to America's Automotive Hometown. While each of them are special in their own right, some are a little more special than others. Whether it's a Corvette that is one-of-a-kind, historically significant or something in between, it's a guarantee that each August Corvettes at Carlisle will play host to something very unique. This year, the trend continues with a very special 50th anniversary car on display; the 1963 "Asteroid" Corvette.

Special ordered new as a paint delete car by legendary speedboat racer Bob Nordskog, this '63 Corvette was delivered straight to the King of Custom cars George Barris of Barris Kustoms. The new C2 Corvette was already a fresh redesign from Chevrolet and Barris made a radical transformation and redesigned the car with an extended nose cone that had headlights positioned behind the bladed grille, custom headers exiting behind the front wheels, removed the split window, filled in the rear tail panel and opened up the rear wheel wells to accommodate big wheels. The paint job was out of this world and was painted in a heavy metallic copper finish that would blind you in the sunlight. This helped give the car the name "Asteroid" since it looked like it was on fire and moving at 1000 mph sitting still!! The interior design was just as wild as the exterior and done by Don Ferrara of San Pedro , California. It was finished in a pearl white Naughahyde complimented with copper accents to match the exterior paint.

This Corvette was built with dual personalities and was as fierce at the car shows as it was racing down the quarter mile. It was powered by a 352 cubic inch motor with 13:1 compression and fed through six chrome Stromburg 97 carburetors. Everything under the hood was either painted gold metallic or chrome plated and was the topper for an already over-the-top car. Dayton wire wheels were used for street duty and American Mags with race tires were used for track duty. Among its credentials are the following:

Cover - Popular Hot Rodding Magazine, November 1963
Winner - of the Long Beach Autorama Car Show 1963
Winner - Mickey Thompson Classic Car Show 1963
Cover - Jan and Dean "Drag City" album 1963
Feature Car - Hot Rod Magazine, September 1964
Feature Car - Custom Corvette's Spotlight book 540
Feature Car - Popular Customs, Winter Issue, 1963
Feature Car - Vette Magazine, September 1998
Feature Car - Hot Rod Deluxe, September 2011

This creation was just one of many from the mind of Barris, who was recently showcased as part of the Barrett-Jackson auction in Scottsdale, Arizona. During the five-day auction, Barris saw his original Batmobile sell for $4.6 million during the Saturday night excitement. The Asteroid Corvette disappeared from the public eye nearly 50 years ago and now this out-of-this-world car is back and will trek to Carlisle this summer to be unveiled for the first time in many decades.

"The Asteroid was built by a true automotive icon and legend in George Barris." noted Corvettes at Carlisle event manager Lance Miller. "He made up some of the most creative automotive masterpieces in history and, fortunately for us, he restyled an amazingly vibrant and quite wild '63 Corvette for Bob Nordskog." Miller continued that "this Corvette is being carefully restored back to its original state as the Asteroid once was in '63 and we're excited to unveil it for the first time since the mid-'60s for our Corvettes at Carlisle attendees. This will be one custom Corvette that you won't want to miss, as a matter of fact you WON’T be able to miss it – be sure to come see what I’m talking about!"

Old 02-13-2013, 10:19 AM
hedgehead
Race Director

Location: I'm not doing as well as I expected, but I never expected I would
Received 109 Likes on 96 Posts

George Barris was cool for his time, kinda like platform shoes and polyester.
Old 02-13-2013, 10:35 AM
Bluestripe67
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 2,135 Likes on 1,472 Posts
C2 of the Year Finalist - Modified 2020

These cars are finding there way back from the cobwebs. Glad to see it. Dennis
Old 02-13-2013, 11:05 AM
MiguelsC2
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 13 Likes on 13 Posts
St. Jude Donor '10-'12-'13

Originally Posted by hedgehead
The Monkey Mobile comes to mind. I can't say I have ever been a fan of his stuff. I wasn't fond of pimp mobiles either. Product of the same era.
Old 02-13-2013, 11:44 AM
mark6669
Drifting

Received 188 Likes on 128 Posts

And he still wears them see him at the Amelia concours almost every year he always stands out in the crowd.
Mark
Old 02-13-2013, 12:07 PM
csherman
Le Mans Master

Received 1,460 Likes on 742 Posts
C1 of Year Finalist (stock) 2019
2018 C1 of Year Finalist

most of his stuff and Roth's, Starbird's stuff IMO is ugly and rather poor workmanship when you see them up close......
impractical cartoonish creations..... I dont give them a second look......
Old 02-13-2013, 12:10 PM
bigearl56
Melting Slicks
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 57 Likes on 37 Posts

Default Old Customs never die

Not a big fan of the pointed front but that scoop has real potential. Well who am I to critize a man who got millions for a Batmobile.

Earl
Old 02-13-2013, 12:48 PM
gbvette62
Race Director

Received 2,065 Likes on 1,338 Posts

I remember the Asteroid Corvette.

In the 60's, there were 2 different series of "bubble gum" trading cards done, featuring hot rods, custom cars and dragsters. I'm pretty sure that one set was done by Topps, and featured photos of cars from Hot Rod Magazine, Car Craft and Rod & Custom. I think this set was offered in the later 60's. The photos were pretty good quality and they were printed on a bright white card stock.

The other set was done earlier, and was mainly custom cars and hot rods. The pictures weren't as sharp in this set, and the backs of the cards were printed in orange?

The Asteroid was featured on a card, in one of the sets. I'm pretty sure it was the earlier set, with the orange backs.

I'd actually forgotten all about those cards, until seeing this post. I have the cards in a box, around here somewhere. I'll have to look see if I can locate them.

Originally Posted by MiguelsC2
The Monkey Mobile comes to mind. I can't say I have ever been a fan of his stuff. I wasn't fond of pimp mobiles either. Product of the same era.
I don't believe that Barris had anything to do with the Monkeemobile. I'm pretty sure it was built by Dean Jeffries.
Old 02-13-2013, 12:55 PM
MiguelsC2
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 13 Likes on 13 Posts
St. Jude Donor '10-'12-'13

Originally Posted by gbvette62

I don't believe that Barris had anything to do with the Monkeemobile. I'm pretty sure it was built by Dean Jeffries.
Thanks for setting it straight. Did Barris do the Munsters cars? Loved the drag strip scenes from that show.

Old 02-13-2013, 01:04 PM
paulywannafly
Drifting
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 374 Likes on 64 Posts

never did care for a car painted like a bowling ball or a bass boat
Old 02-13-2013, 01:11 PM
Poorhousenext
Melting Slicks

Received 644 Likes on 331 Posts

Would my 64 named Lydia be worthy of being parked back to back, maybe at a slight V angle for better side comparison?

Main reason for asking is to get the foot traffic the Barris car will get... Side benefit for me is it shows past vs current body Stylization/Customization.

Lydia is not a show car as she maintains the look of a stock engine compartment rather than the hide everything show car look as she was rebuilt along the lines of a Stylized Concept instead.

Every major stylized effect is taken from a past generation or current at time of C6 generation of Corvette. The major change made to body to allow for wider tires and get better tire coverage is what GM did to with the C3 as seen by curvature of body form front fender well to rear fender well. Six tail lights came from C2 concept cars like the 64 Worlds Fair car, while the lower front fender vent styling is C6 Z06 vent and we added C1 spears just as GM did on 58-61 C1s. The rear exit exhaust is Z06 aftermarket BB.

With the exception of the front nose (headlight & grill area) every body panel including top panel has been modified in some manner. Corvette blogger called her Subtle Outrageousness in his blog.

She's a Southern Lady now. Not Flashy, not Trashy, just a Transgendered from Male to Female C2... She's wasn't afraid to go even where Angels fear to tread, (Bloomington Show) ...

C3 body styling to allow for wider tires.

Z06/C1 Lower fender Vent styling.

Engine compartment. Not a show car one.

Last edited by Poorhousenext; 02-13-2013 at 01:21 PM.
Old 02-13-2013, 01:38 PM
hedgehead
Race Director

Location: I'm not doing as well as I expected, but I never expected I would
Received 109 Likes on 96 Posts

Not to worry, Lydia and Barris' wet dreams aren't even in the same universe.
Old 02-13-2013, 01:55 PM
csherman
Le Mans Master

Received 1,460 Likes on 742 Posts
C1 of Year Finalist (stock) 2019
2018 C1 of Year Finalist

Not to worry, Lydia and Barris' wet dreams aren't even in the same universe.
- agree !!!!
Old 02-13-2013, 04:28 PM
Duntov 54
Pro

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Often wondered what happened to the Asteroid. I like it with the American five spoke and slicks version. Can't wait to see it.
Old 02-14-2013, 09:00 AM
racelance
Melting Slicks

Received 120 Likes on 68 Posts
St. Jude Donor '09

Originally Posted by gbvette62
I remember the Asteroid Corvette.

The Asteroid was featured on a card, in one of the sets. I'm pretty sure it was the earlier set, with the orange backs.

I'd actually forgotten all about those cards, until seeing this post. I have the cards in a box, around here somewhere. I'll have to look see if I can locate them.
If you find the card, I'd love to see some pics of it (post 'em here if possible). Many thanks!

Lance
Old 02-14-2013, 09:30 AM
dplotkin
Safety Car
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 2,148 Likes on 1,036 Posts
2023 C2 of the Year Finalist - Unmodified
2019 C2 of Year Finalist (stock)
2015 C2 of the Year Finalist

Originally Posted by MiguelsC2
I hope I don't offend adoring fans of Barris, but for me Barris is to automotive design as Kenny G is to jazz & Michael Bolton is to popular music. It is to be perhaps tolerated but not appreciated.
Dan
Old 02-14-2013, 01:14 PM
gbvette62
Race Director

Received 2,065 Likes on 1,338 Posts

Originally Posted by racelance
If you find the card, I'd love to see some pics of it (post 'em here if possible). Many thanks!

Lance
Lance,

I must apologize. I found the cards last night, and the Asteroid is not on one of the cards. I don't have a complete set, but I do have most of the series. I know I've seen that first color picture of the car, with the wire wheels on it, somewhere and could have sworn it was on one of those trading cards.

As an apology, how about some pictures of the car, being built back in 1963?

The following articles and pictures, are from a Peterson Publishing/Hot Rod Magazine pocket size magazine printed in 1963, called "Custom Corvettes". In it, are a complete series of how too articles, showing the modifications done to the hood, rear wheel wells, the removal of the rear window split and removing the parking lamps.

There's also a 2 page spread on the Asteroid itself, and it's mentioned on the cover.

I hope this makes up for mistake about the trading card!

Glenn

Get notified of new replies

To Heavily modified '63 Corvette a George Barris creation - must see! (Pics enclosed)

Old 02-14-2013, 04:28 PM
cv67
Team Owner

Received 3,043 Likes on 2,602 Posts
St. Jude Donor '05

Awesome!!! Anyone else kinda miss seeing these old streat freaks with heavy metal flake runningn around? I do.
Old 02-14-2013, 06:20 PM
rayvaflav
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 985 Likes on 492 Posts

Yikes ! This car gained more taillamps and exhaust outlets and actually lost some glass.

Ray
Old 02-14-2013, 08:56 PM
3JsVette
Race Director

Received 2,500 Likes on 1,652 Posts

Originally Posted by cuisinartvette
Awesome!!! Anyone else kinda miss seeing these old streat freaks with heavy metal flake runningn around? I do.
Me too. Now don't get me wrong I'm not looking to own one but I do enjoy looking at how far the hobby has come with the building skills, quality of workmanship, and detailing that goes in to todays high end builds (how about the Torino Troy built for George Poteet?). It's not uncommon to go to a Goodguys event and see a famous 60's custom built by Barris, the Alexander Brothers, Ed Roth ect. Those cars are being restored as they appeared when they were 1st built. I don't see anything wrong with remembering where the hobby came from.

Quick Reply: Heavily modified '63 Corvette a George Barris creation - must see! (Pics enclosed)