C1 & C2 Corvettes General C1 Corvette & C2 Corvette Discussion, Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Project Builds, Restorations

Drip Rail forward pictures needed

Search this Thread

Old 02-09-2013, 02:01 PM
Lonewolfen
Heel & Toe

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 66 Drip Rail pictures needed

Hello! After getting my Drip rails installed on my '66 Coupe, I am finding that the Hinge pillar covers will not slide past the front tab. Can someone please post pictures of this area? I need to alter the covers but without seeing the end result, this will be hard to accomplish. do I bend the drip rail tab out of the way or trim it off? Also, when applying sealant, how do I treat this area?

Thanks

Last edited by Lonewolfen; 02-13-2013 at 11:07 AM.
Old 02-09-2013, 09:20 PM
John McGraw
Safety Car

Received 114 Likes on 74 Posts

Chris,

The drip rail should be substantially short of the hinge pillar cover. The drip rail should dump into the weatherstrip that sits on top of the hinge pillar, and directs all the water away, that comes down the drip rail. If you have this weatherstrip, you will see how much the drip rail should be cut off. Do not start trimming on the drip rail until you have this weatherstrip in hand.

I will look and see If I can find a pic. If not, I have a coupe in the shop right now, that has the drip rails replaced recently. I will dig out a weatherstrip and snap some pics of it, both installed and not.

Regards, John McGraw
Old 02-09-2013, 09:46 PM
John McGraw
Safety Car

Chris,

Go to this Ebay auction:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Frame...item417090d5cc

If you scroll down the pics, you will see this detail is shown pretty clearly.

The drip rail goes inside the weatherstrip, and the flange of the weatherstrip is pop riveted to the weatherstrip. The weatherstrip is screwed down to the hing pillar, and a little sealer is put at the top of the weatherstrip where it joins the drip rail.

One you have the weatherstrip in your hand, it will be very clear.

Regards, John McGraw
Old 02-11-2013, 02:06 PM
Lonewolfen
Heel & Toe

Thank you for the link. It does help to explain things but I still need a closeup of the area. It seems as though the previous owners filled in the area with bondo as the drip rail rusted out. there isnt any evidence of weather striping in this area either (holes and any groove is filled in). I guess I will have to purchase the weather strips a little earlier than planed. I had hoped to wait until after I've gotten this painted.
Old 02-11-2013, 02:25 PM
JohnZ
Team Owner

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,857 Likes on 1,100 Posts

What's confusing the issue is that the OP's car is a '66 coupe, and the black rubber extension weatherstrip at the bottom of the "A"-pillar drip rail (pop-riveted to the end of the drip rail and screwed to the body) shown in the photo below wasn't used on '66 coupes - only on '66 convertibles. It was used on coupes in 63/64/65 and 67, but not on 66's.

I don't have a photo of how that area was finished on a '66 coupe without the weatherstrip - maybe someone else does.
Attached Images  
Old 02-11-2013, 02:44 PM
BT427
Advanced

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default Does this help any?

Old 02-11-2013, 02:50 PM
Lonewolfen
Heel & Toe

Thanks BT427! That does help a little, can you get more of a closeup? and around the inside of the windsheild pillar? I am trying to see how the two pieces are fitting together...
Old 02-11-2013, 02:55 PM
BT427
Advanced

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default I'll Check

Car is already done. I'll look through some more old pictures.
Old 02-11-2013, 03:01 PM
John McGraw
Safety Car

Originally Posted by JohnZ
What's confusing the issue is that the OP's car is a '66 coupe, and the black rubber extension weatherstrip at the bottom of the "A"-pillar drip rail (pop-riveted to the end of the drip rail and screwed to the body) shown in the photo below wasn't used on '66 coupes - only on '66 convertibles. It was used on coupes in 63/64/65 and 67, but not on 66's.

I don't have a photo of how that area was finished on a '66 coupe without the weatherstrip - maybe someone else does.
John,

I did not know that! I thought that all coupes had this weatherstrip. Obviously, it did not work out well deleting it in 66, or they would not have brought it back in 67!

Regards, John McGraw
Old 02-11-2013, 03:08 PM
Lonewolfen
Heel & Toe

BT427, Is that just sealant bridging the gaps between the two pieces? (drip rail and hinge pillar cover) or is it bonding agent of some sort?

Get notified of new replies

To Drip Rail forward pictures needed

Quick Reply: Drip Rail forward pictures needed