C1 & C2 Corvettes General C1 Corvette & C2 Corvette Discussion, Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Project Builds, Restorations

'61 Al Knoch Seat Install

Search this Thread

Old 01-28-2013, 10:18 AM
Frankie the Fink
Team Owner

Received 7,082 Likes on 4,736 Posts
Army

Default '61 Al Knoch Seat Install

Thought I'd share a little of my experience having Al Knoch restore my '61 seats. Although I had redone the seats several years back they were all wrong (sub-par covers, over-stuffed with second rate foam and the seating was not even close to original due to the 'cheapie' spring set I used -- see second picture). A few weeks back I ordered complete kit from Al Knoch covers, foam, burlap, original-style springs, etc. and had them redone last Saturday at the Kissimmee NCRS event. I R&R'ed the seats in and out of the car myself including R&Ring the tracks.

The first thing I found (and don't know why I never noticed before) was two weird spring loaded electrical switches under both seats....I have no clue what they were for: kill switch ? burglar alarm ? air bags ? who knows -- and why on BOTH seats. Anyway I handed the upholstery tech the seats at 8:30am Sat morning and had them both reinstalled around 2:30am. Except for a short lunch break the fella worked on them steadily the WHOLE time. I had no idea it was so involved. The technician showed me all the stuff that was wrong with the previous install as he took the seat apart and to put it bluntly, they weren't even close to right.

I was hot and tired after wandering around the swap meet and was starting to put the seats back in when a shadow fell over me. It was Rich (rich5962) and he wound up helping me install the tracks and the seats - which I'm REALLY grateful for - it was a long day.

In any event I've driven with the new seat setup for several hundred miles and its a different experience for sure. The tech said the seats, done correctly, should yield 2 more inches of room for bigger drivers. I'm betting with my previously over-stuffed seats its more like 4 inches. Instead of sitting on top of the seats (buckboard style) I now rest down in the seats and its more like driving my old MG's and Triumph sport cars. The seat cradles you more and it truly is a better feel. My bent arm is at a better angle to work the shifter and even the arm rests are usable now instead of being too low. The seats do look somewhat strange however as there is a 'broken down' looking depression in the center of the bottoms and in general they are tighter fitting to the frame. From what I've read and heard this is exactly how they are supposed to be though.

Prob worth some of the taller drivers to investigate this option if they just need a few inches to be comfortable in the later C1s. Frankly, for Al Knoch's price to completely redo the seats it wasn't worth it to me to touch them. Several restorers I talked to couldn't believe how reasonable the price was (it's on their web site).
Attached Images      

Last edited by Frankie the Fink; 01-28-2013 at 10:36 AM.
Old 01-28-2013, 10:34 AM
stratplus
Drifting

Received 36 Likes on 31 Posts

Very nice. Looks like it will be a comfy ride.

It's amazing what these guys can do with upholstery and how easy they make it look. A few years ago I did my seats using the AK video and all of their products. Never, never again would I do that again. My hands still hurt.

And you are correct, for what they charge, let them do it.
Old 01-28-2013, 10:47 AM
Plasticman
Race Director

Received 525 Likes on 374 Posts

Frank,

Good report. I know the day is coming when I need to completely redo the seats (covers are fine, but the inners need work), but not "yet". I like my sitting position (same as you described with your new seats), and was concerned about them becoming overstuffed.

Sorry I missed you, but was there only Thursday.

Can only guess, but wondering if the seat switches were tied into an alarm (if anyone sat in either seat, an alarm would go off and/or kill the ignition).......still would need a separate alarm "arming" switch.

John (plasticman)

Last edited by Plasticman; 01-28-2013 at 10:52 AM.
Old 01-28-2013, 03:38 PM
rich5962
Safety Car

Received 559 Likes on 333 Posts

Frank,

It was great bumping in to you at the AK tent when they were doing your seats. They came out great. And a great job on the rebuilt seat tracks too.

When I was standing over the car looking in and seeing you trying to get the bolts in, and seeing how tired and frustrated you were, I had to offer help. Glad I stopped by and lent a hand.

I agree those switches were probably for a alarm circuit. If the car was left parked with the top down or just the tonneau cover on, anyone could jump in without opening a door and try to swipe it. He may have had a key or toggle switch hidden under the dash somewhere to activate the alarm.

Rich
Old 01-28-2013, 03:44 PM
Frankie the Fink
Team Owner

Army

Originally Posted by rich5962
I agree those switches were probably for a alarm circuit. If the car was left parked with the top down or just the tonneau cover on, anyone could jump in without opening a door and try to swipe it. He may have had a key or toggle switch hidden under the dash somewhere to activate the alarm.

Rich
I'm thinking that's exactly what was going on Rich. Thinking back 5 years -- there was a suspicious hole in the lower metal portion of the gauge cluster housing that I had to fix before I could sand, prep and repaint the piece. My money is on a toggle switch or alarm button mounted there (of some sort). If these old cars could only talk.
Old 01-28-2013, 03:53 PM
toms silver 60
Melting Slicks

Received 92 Likes on 62 Posts

Frankie glad the professional install worked for you.

We had all figured you had learned your lesson when you had that mobile plastic surgeon/botox/dentistry van at your house last year....particularly when the guy didn't speak English very well.....

Looks like a bunch of us now have a short list of who we trust with our rides.....
Old 01-28-2013, 04:28 PM
Kent in KC
Pro

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Default Alarm

When I got my '63 convertible several years ago it had the same switch setup that you describe in the seats - in fact, it had the entire alarm system complete with a huge horn/siren/bell mounted on the driver side inner fender panel. Also had a wonderful stereo system in the glovebox. Neither worked, but between them they did have about 100 yards of tangled wire strung together.

Old 01-28-2013, 04:38 PM
Frankie the Fink
Team Owner

Army

After seeing that snarl of junk and wires I guess I'll quit whining !
Old 01-28-2013, 05:22 PM
Ironcross
Race Director

Received 40 Likes on 36 Posts

Default The real Pro`s know how

I`ll let Al know there are people on the Forum that appreciate his work and products, and that there is a difference...he specializes in all facets of interiors and related products, nothing else

Old 01-28-2013, 06:23 PM
mike coletta
Safety Car

Received 1,067 Likes on 513 Posts

Frank,
The seats look FABULOUS!!!! About the alarm........you COULD move into a "push button start"...........

I`ll let Al know there are people on the Forum that appreciate his work and products, and that there is a difference...he specializes in all facets of interiors and related products, nothing else
Good people.......I don't care what anyone else says!!!

Mike Coletta
Old 01-28-2013, 06:59 PM
dcaggiani
Burning Brakes

Received 151 Likes on 84 Posts

Originally Posted by mike coletta
Frank,
The seats look FABULOUS!!!! About the alarm........you COULD move into a "push button start"...........

Mike Coletta
Frankie
When my 64 was a driver - any key could easily bypass the ignition which always had me nervous about someone stealing my Roadster.
Once it became a Restomod with a push button start, my security concerns went away.
Although Mike hates the new style button set ups, they make it difficult to steal. In my case you not only have to push the fob button but you also need to have your foot on the brake to allow ignition to work.

Dan
Old 01-28-2013, 08:27 PM
Frankie the Fink
Team Owner

Army

Originally Posted by mike coletta

Mike Coletta
Have to agree - Al himself came by and went over my seat redo with me and even removed those burglar alarm switches himself to give back to me.

Dan - I completely understand - my Dad was a used car dealer in the '60s and we had a huge pegboard to hold the car keys. On more than one occasion I grabbed the wrong set of keys and went out to a car the keys were never meant for and they worked perfectly !!
Old 01-28-2013, 08:43 PM
Tyler Townsley
Melting Slicks

Received 63 Likes on 27 Posts

You probably noticed my 55 having the top done. It was the second of a new run of tops for 53-55s that Al had redesigned in a different pattern to appease the NCRS judges. Both Al and the installer remarked how much easier this top was than previous ones. I don't know if it was the redone bows or how straight this car is or the new top design but they and I were happy.

They have always been one of my best vendors.

Sat night my security intercepted someone trying to get into the back of thier tent about 3:30 in the morning. They chased them through the woods with guns drawn and had the local law respond to help but lost them in the underbrush. Nothing was taken. Next year we are going to trip wire the back entrance from the woods with some kind of flash bang. That will get their attention.

Tyler
Old 01-28-2013, 08:51 PM
Frankie the Fink
Team Owner

Army

Originally Posted by Tyler Townsley
You probably noticed my 55 having the top done. It was the second of a new run of tops for 53-55s that Al had redesigned in a different pattern to appease the NCRS judges. Both Al and the installer remarked how much easier this top was than previous ones. I don't know if it was the redone bows or how straight this car is or the new top design but they and I were happy.

They have always been one of my best vendors.

Sat night my security intercepted someone trying to get into the back of thier tent about 3:30 in the morning. They chased them through the woods with guns drawn and had the local law respond to help but lost them in the underbrush. Nothing was taken. Next year we are going to trip wire the back entrance from the woods with some kind of flash bang. That will get their attention.

Tyler
How could I NOT notice that nice '55...folks were all over it the whole day. Damn shame about the attempted break in....freakin' thieves deserve whatever they get.

Tyler - you don't get nearly the credit you should for the massive effort to keep things running smoothly each year at this event ! Even though you almost ran over me twice with that dang golf cart!
Old 01-28-2013, 08:54 PM
Mike Geary
Melting Slicks

Received 220 Likes on 167 Posts

Originally Posted by Ironcross

Please pass along to Al that the seat cover video he and Javier did was fantastic. Took almost all the mystery out of it and allowed me to get great results on my first try (1965). Mike
Old 01-28-2013, 09:10 PM
Tyler Townsley
Melting Slicks

Received 63 Likes on 27 Posts

Originally Posted by Frankie the Fink
Even though you almost ran over me twice with that dang golf cart!
Thanks. I was trying hard to get you, figured if I got you I could get your car from your wife for a song.LOL

Tyler
Old 01-29-2013, 06:17 AM
wmf62
Race Director

Received 727 Likes on 621 Posts
St. Jude Donor '07

Originally Posted by Tyler Townsley
Thanks. I was trying hard to get you, figured if I got you I could get your car from your wife for a song.LOL

Tyler
yep, Tyler, sing along....... $$, ra, mi, fa, so la, ti, $$...

Bill

Get notified of new replies

To '61 Al Knoch Seat Install

Old 06-16-2013, 05:24 PM
donbayers
Burning Brakes
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 18 Likes on 14 Posts

Originally Posted by Mike Geary
Please pass along to Al that the seat cover video he and Javier did was fantastic. Took almost all the mystery out of it and allowed me to get great results on my first try (1965). Mike
Could someone post the link to the video being talked about. i could find no video on AK's website

Thanks
Old 06-16-2013, 06:25 PM
Frankie the Fink
Team Owner

Army

You won't find it on the website....the AK seat video is for sale on DVD. However Corvette America has some seat videos you can refer to: http://www.corvetteamerica.com/video/61_62scInstall/
Old 06-16-2013, 06:50 PM
GEM '62
Drifting

Received 581 Likes on 229 Posts

I have the Al Knoch video and use it to install the seat covers in my 62, I looked at the CC video and it doesn't come close to showing you how to the job correctly. Although the Al Knoch video could be made a little easier to follow, I got the same results as Frankie. I did need several phone consults with Javier, he was very patient and accommodating. It took me days rather than hours but the results were good and I could do it in a fraction of the time if I needed to do it again. On second thought, at my age, I've already forgotten everything I learned from that installation.

Quick Reply: '61 Al Knoch Seat Install