C1 & C2 Corvettes General C1 Corvette & C2 Corvette Discussion, Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Project Builds, Restorations

Wiper Motor for Restomod group or non NCRS looking for better rain driving.

Search this Thread

Old 01-27-2013, 03:05 PM
65LS6C4
Racer

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Default Wiper Motor for Restomod group or non NCRS looking for better rain driving.

I am using a wiper motor that I purchased from Detroit Speed & Engineering. It was manufactured to be used on a 67 Camaro. The unit has 2 delays and 5 speeds. Installation only required very minor modifications to use this motor.

1.) I removed the existing motor backing plate from the firewall
2.) built a new motor backing plate from 18 gauge metal to accept the new motor
3.) compared the wiper motor arm on the new motor to the arm on the old motor. They were within 1/4 of an inch in rotating diameter and at the same protrusion through the firewall and they had a different end for the arm to attach. So it was a simple modification to combine the two rotating arms to make a new arm.
4.) To make the new arm, I simply cut off the end of the existing wiper arm from the DSE unit and then did the same to the arm from the wiper and then welded the end of the old unit to the end of the new unit.

My next mod will be to create better wipers as well. Most people will overlook the motor and wipers as they are used infrequently, but I live along the coast at the beach part of the year and heavy rain will pop up from time to time without notice so I want something that will clear the windows.

I will post pictures of the installed wiper motor next weekend when I have it completed if anyone is interested.

Last edited by 65LS6C4; 01-27-2013 at 03:33 PM.
Old 01-27-2013, 03:07 PM
firstgear
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 640 Likes on 358 Posts
2019 Corvette of the Year Winner
St. Jude Donor '15

Originally Posted by 65LS6C4
I am using a wiper motor that I purchased from Detroit Speed & Engineering. It was manufactured to be used on a 67 Camaro. The unit has 2 delays and 5 speeds. Installation only required very minor modifications to use this motor.

1.) I removed the existing motor backing plate from the firewall
2.) built a new motor backing plate from 18 gauge metal to accept the new motor
3.) compared the wiper motor arm on the new motor to the arm on the old motor. They were within 1/4 of an inch in rotating diameter and at the same protrusion through the firewall and they had a different end for the arm to attach. So it was a simple modification to combine the two rotating arms to make a new arm.
4.) To make the new arm, I simply cut off the cut off the end of the existing wiper arm from the DSE unit and then did the same to the arm from the wiper and then welded the end of the old unit to the end of the new unit.

My next mod will be to create better wipers as well. Most people will overlook the motor and wipers as they are used infrequently, but I live along the coast at the beach part of the year and heavy rain will pop up from time to time without notice so I want something that will clear the windows.

I will post pictures of the installed wiper motor next weekend when I have it completed if anyone is interested.
Please, photos are worth 1000 words....
Old 01-27-2013, 04:42 PM
markiemyster
Racer

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
St. Jude Donor '03 & '05

Yes, Deffinately show some pictures.

Thanks, Mark
Old 01-30-2013, 10:14 AM
Tevroc98
Melting Slicks

Received 131 Likes on 75 Posts
2021 C2 of the Year Finalist - Modified

I'll give this a bump
Old 01-30-2013, 10:45 AM
BB767
Burning Brakes
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 354 Likes on 148 Posts

I too would love to see pictures of your project, it sounds like it has much merit. For a different technique at rain removal years ago I started using Rain X on all my different modern and old cars windshields. I noticed I didn't need to use my wipers at all, even in the heaviest rain. The water just beads up and rolls or blows away. I don't use Rain X anymore, I just wax the windshield when I'm waxing the car and I get much the same results. Water removal has become a non-event now, even in my old cars that have vacuum operated windshield wipers. In most cases I just don't need the wipers and when I do, I find what the factory supplied is sufficient. It works for me, your results may vary.

Thomas
Old 01-30-2013, 11:35 AM
toms silver 60
Melting Slicks

Received 92 Likes on 62 Posts

Does the rainx help in misty fog? You know, like when you need to use an intermittent one stroke (lots of fun with a recalcitrant solid axle wiper).
Of course, then it won't shut off in park position if the windshield gets too dry.....

Oh yes, please add some pics! (thought solid axles were the only cars with wiper challenges)

Last edited by toms silver 60; 01-30-2013 at 05:27 PM.
Old 01-30-2013, 04:07 PM
BB767
Burning Brakes
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 354 Likes on 148 Posts

Originally Posted by toms silver 60
Does the rainx help in misty fog? You know, like when you need to use an intermittent one stroke (lots of fun with a recalcitrant solid axle wiper).
Of course, then it won't shut off in park position if the windshield gets too dry.....
What it seems to do is keep water from smearing if you will, on the windshield. It makes water ball up. In light moisture conditions the water dropets are all very small and as they come in contact with others they form larger dropets until they either roll off or are blow away. They don't "stick" to the windshield. I find I can look right through them without any visual problems. The windshield in essence becomes self cleaning without the need for mechanical removal by the wiper blades.

Years ago I flew Boeing 727's out in the South Pacific and we would apply RainX on the aircraft windshields before departure if we knew our destination was likely to be expecting heavy rain at the estimated time of our arrival. It worked extremely well in that instance. That's when I started to use in on my cars with good results as well.

I didn't mean for us to get off topic here. 65LS6C4 has done an interesting, orginal project that I think we'd all like some follow up information on. Since we were on the general topic of rain removal I thought I'd add a bit different approach to the problem. My apologies if my comments were inappropriate on this post.

Thomas

Last edited by BB767; 01-30-2013 at 04:26 PM. Reason: Substitue water droplets for balls

Get notified of new replies

To Wiper Motor for Restomod group or non NCRS looking for better rain driving.

Quick Reply: Wiper Motor for Restomod group or non NCRS looking for better rain driving.