C1 & C2 Corvettes General C1 Corvette & C2 Corvette Discussion, Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Project Builds, Restorations

66 door cylinder lock

Search this Thread

Old 01-27-2013, 02:49 PM
66RBS
Pro

Received 42 Likes on 35 Posts

Default 66 door cylinder lock

Gentlemen,

The door lock cylinder on my 66 rotates when I try to use the key to lock it. The door panel is off and I can see the whole door lock retainer clip rotates. I have tried cleaning the lock linkage to minimize the effort which helped. Does the escutcheon prevent the cylinder from rotating or is it just a flange?

Randy
Old 01-27-2013, 03:52 PM
Ron Miller
Le Mans Master

Received 315 Likes on 179 Posts

Randy,

As I'm recalling, the only thing preventing the lock cylinder from rotating in the opening is the friction developed between the escutcheon and the door itself. Here's a picture of the lock cylinder with the escutcheon installed (on the right hand side). I just replaced both of my locks and don't remember any provisions in the fiberglass itself to prevent the cylinder from rotating in the opening.

When the spring steel retainer used to hold the lock in place is installed, it normally has quite a lot of tension placed on the lockset. Maybe you could try a new retainer?

Old 01-27-2013, 04:17 PM
65GGvert
Team Owner

Received 3,220 Likes on 2,302 Posts

My recollection is that the round hole that the cylinder mounts in has a cutout that the rectangular part you see on the outside of the cylinder fits into and stops it from turning. It's definitely not just friction or they all would eventually turn and possibly damage the paint.
Old 01-27-2013, 04:27 PM
65GGvert
Team Owner

Here's a picture showing the part that fits into the door cylinder opening that keeps it from rotating:

Old 01-27-2013, 04:42 PM
burtonbl103
Team Owner

Received 595 Likes on 176 Posts
St. Jude Donor '06-'07-'08 & '12-'13

the holes in the doors are round.
There is a 6 in black metal plate with a bow in it that slides in behind the lock to secure it in place and keep it from turning.
it has cutouts just like the cylinder above.
Old 01-27-2013, 05:09 PM
65GGvert
Team Owner

That's correct. I didn't trust my "recollection" so I looked up a post from John Z from a while back. Here's a picture he posted showing the plate that slides in to hold the lock. It's hard to see in the picture, but there is a small slot in the plate that slides over the raised portion I showed earlier. Sorry that I misled you about the slot in the door.

Old 01-27-2013, 05:30 PM
mike coletta
Safety Car

Received 1,067 Likes on 513 Posts

There is a 6 in black metal plate with a bow in it that slides in behind the lock to secure it in place and keep it from turning.
I'll second that. Sometimes the spring metal "lock plate" has been replaced with a universal type. You have to have the slot in the plate to keep it from spinning.

Mike Coletta
Old 01-27-2013, 06:56 PM
66RBS
Pro

Received 42 Likes on 35 Posts

Originally Posted by 65GGvert

That's correct. I didn't trust my "recollection" so I looked up a post from John Z from a while back. Here's a picture he posted showing the plate that slides in to hold the lock. It's hard to see in the picture, but there is a small slot in the plate that slides over the raised portion I showed earlier. Sorry that I misled you about the slot in the door.

65GGvert

Thanks for the feedback and great picture. My issue is the red plate shown in the picture ( lock retainer clip) rotates with the cylinder lock. There must be a way to increase the friction between the clip and the door. Maybe I'll try to re arch the clip.

Randy
Old 01-27-2013, 06:59 PM
burtonbl103
Team Owner

Received 595 Likes on 176 Posts
St. Jude Donor '06-'07-'08 & '12-'13

Originally Posted by 66RBS
65GGvert

Thanks for the feedback and great picture. My issue is the red plate shown in the picture ( lock retainer clip) rotates with the cylinder lock. There must be a way to increase the friction between the clip and the door. Maybe I'll try to re arch the clip.

Randy
if you pull the lock out ( so you can get the read plate out of the car)

Take a pair of pliers and put a better bow in the middle on top and bottom..

If you look in picture you see the middle has the bow to apply the pressure against the two metal tabs on the lock
Old 01-27-2013, 07:05 PM
Ron Miller
Le Mans Master

Received 315 Likes on 179 Posts

Originally Posted by burtonbl103
Right on . . . . . it's also been my experience that some of the later or aftermarket replacements for the long original spring keeper are not as effective as the originals. If you're using one of the later short style keepers sold by some of the aftermarket suppliers, try and find on of the original longer ones. Also, try doing a little "adjusting" per the previous post.

Last edited by Ron Miller; 01-27-2013 at 07:08 PM.

Get notified of new replies

To 66 door cylinder lock

Quick Reply: 66 door cylinder lock