C1 & C2 Corvettes General C1 Corvette & C2 Corvette Discussion, Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Project Builds, Restorations

How do you remove a distributor and reinstall in same location

Search this Thread

Old 01-22-2013, 06:57 PM
MOXIE62
Safety Car

Received 333 Likes on 276 Posts

Default How do you remove a distributor and reinstall in same location

I would like to remove the distributor in my 62 and reinstall it to where it will go back in the same location. I know it can be done but I have never been able to do it. You would think if you pull it straight out, without disturbing the rotation. It would go back in the same location. I have never had any luck. Is it because the slot in the oil pump shaft will not line up again with the slot in the distributor main shaft..
Old 01-22-2013, 07:03 PM
TC233
CF Senior Fox Bat
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 616 Likes on 359 Posts

Originally Posted by MOXIE62
I would like to remove the distributor in my 62 and reinstall it to where it will go back in the same location. I know it can be done but I have never been able to do it. You would think if you pull it straight out, without disturbing the rotation. It would go back in the same location. I have never had any luck. Is it because the slot in the oil pump shaft will not line up again with the slot in the distributor main shaft..
What I do, is while the distributor is locked down, I take a black marker and mark the collar on the distributor and the block with a fine black marker.

I then lift the cap on the distributor and note the position of the rotor ie. Pointing to the clip on the rad hose etc.

Then extract the distributor. Now when you place it back in place you have to insert the distributor so the rotor is slightly counter clockwise to its final position because the gear on the bottom of the distributor is curved so that it engages the Cam gear. As it slides into place the rotor will move clockwise.

So I am assuming that you are trying to keep the rotor in the perfect spot, as you lower the rotor. If so, that won't work and thats why your oil pump drive hangs you up. So turn the rotor counterclockwise a bit and try again. You will note as you extract the distributor the rotor will move as it turns out of the Cam gear. So you need to do the opposite when setting it back in.

Marking the block and dist collar with a fine black permanent marker puts your distributor back in "at the correct timing as well"

Thats all there is to it.

Last edited by TC233; 01-22-2013 at 07:09 PM.
Old 01-22-2013, 07:06 PM
Frankie the Fink
Team Owner

Received 7,084 Likes on 4,737 Posts
Army

That works as long as you do NOT disturb or crank the engine between removal and installation. If this happens you have to find TDC on the compression stroke set things up from there.
Old 01-22-2013, 07:11 PM
TC233
CF Senior Fox Bat
Support Corvetteforum!

Yes, don;t play with belts on your engine either or decide to remove the harmonic balancer because your crank will move.
Old 01-22-2013, 07:15 PM
desertpilgrim
Drifting

Received 117 Likes on 92 Posts

Perhaps the more proper response is to take it to someone else who does such things, ask questions and keep track of what he/she does.
Old 01-22-2013, 07:22 PM
Frankie the Fink
Team Owner

Army

Its not rocket science by any stretch -- I just did it on my '67 Chevelle this weekend.

Just in case you get completely boogered up doing it; this article (complete with pictures) by the famous Lars walks you through reinstallation.
Attached Images
File Type: pdf
distinstall.pdf (172.5 KB, 320 views)
Old 01-22-2013, 07:24 PM
TC233
CF Senior Fox Bat
Support Corvetteforum!

Originally Posted by desertpilgrim
Perhaps the more proper response is to take it to someone else who does such things, ask questions and keep track of what he/she does.
That is a proper response, HE/SHE wants to do it, that's how its done. He/she said "I would like too...." as in he/she, himself/herself.
Old 01-22-2013, 07:32 PM
StingU2
Safety Car

Received 70 Likes on 66 Posts

Originally Posted by TC233
What I do, is while the distributor is locked down, I take a black marker and mark the collar on the distributor and the block with a fine black marker.

I then lift the cap on the distributor and note the position of the rotor ie. Pointing to the clip on the rad hose etc.

Then extract the distributor. Now when you place it back in place you have to insert the distributor so the rotor is slightly counter clockwise to its final position because the gear on the bottom of the distributor is curved so that it engages the Cam gear. As it slides into place the rotor will move clockwise.

So I am assuming that you are trying to keep the rotor in the perfect spot, as you lower the rotor. If so, that won't work and thats why your oil pump drive hangs you up. So turn the rotor counterclockwise a bit and try again. You will note as you extract the distributor the rotor will move as it turns out of the Cam gear. So you need to do the opposite when setting it back in.

Marking the block and dist collar with a fine black permanent marker puts your distributor back in "at the correct timing as well"

Thats all there is to it.
.. I've been doing it this way for years without any troubles.
Old 01-22-2013, 08:01 PM
midyearvette
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by MOXIE62
simple...as you pull the dist., the rotor will turn along with the pump shaft
all you have to do is install the dist with the rotor turned at the same spot it rested after you pulled it and it will automatically mesh with the pump shaft and turn it with it and the dist. will seat....works every time...good luck.....
Old 01-22-2013, 08:06 PM
Jebbysan
Dr. Detroit
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 3,895 Likes on 2,565 Posts

Just mark the base of the dist...along with the manifold....

Jebby
Old 01-22-2013, 08:26 PM
VetteRed1965
Drifting

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by midyearvette
simple...as you pull the dist., the rotor will turn along with the pump shaft
all you have to do is install the dist with the rotor turned at the same spot it rested after you pulled it and it will automatically mesh with the pump shaft and turn it with it and the dist. will seat....works every time...good luck.....
If it does not dropin, just bump the starter and it will drop down
Old 01-22-2013, 08:53 PM
MOXIE62
Safety Car

Default Thanks alot

Thanks everyone. I will try this weekend.
Old 01-22-2013, 08:56 PM
Hitch
Race Director

Received 164 Likes on 109 Posts

I always set the motor to TDC prior to removing the distributor to make it easier to come back to the same spot when I put the dizzy back in.

David
Old 01-22-2013, 09:01 PM
63split63
Burning Brakes

Received 34 Likes on 28 Posts

After you get it back in and the engine running you will need to check the timing with a timing light . Just eyeing it up is not precise enough .

Bill
Old 01-22-2013, 10:45 PM
Frankie the Fink
Team Owner

Army

Originally Posted by Hitch
I always set the motor to TDC prior to removing the distributor to make it easier to come back to the same spot when I put the dizzy back in.

David
Worth the extra few minutes to start from a known reference point.
Old 01-31-2013, 12:01 PM
MOXIE62
Safety Car

Default Got dist removed and reinstalled, no problem

Got the dist removed, did what i wanted to do and reinstalled dist without any problems or retiming. I do not know what I was doing it in the past, which never worked, but using you guys help, it went right in, thanks
Old 01-31-2013, 01:51 PM
Frankie the Fink
Team Owner

Army

Good deal. For some reason this is one of the more intimidating jobs for many folks and it shouldn't be if you are careful and methodical.

Get notified of new replies

To How do you remove a distributor and reinstall in same location

Quick Reply: How do you remove a distributor and reinstall in same location