C1 & C2 Corvettes General C1 Corvette & C2 Corvette Discussion, Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Project Builds, Restorations

Importing from the US to the UK C2

Search this Thread

Old 03-29-2013, 05:45 AM
Celtic
2nd Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Importing from the US to the UK C2

Hi there

I live in the UK and considering buying a C2 from the US and importing it over.

I really want to know as much about the C2 as possible; what I should be looking for, what year is the best..I hear a 'mid year' is the best model to buy.

Also, dealers advice please. I'm currently shortlisting dealers I'd consider buying from (please note, dealer buying only, no personal sales). I've read reviews around http://www.buyavette.net/ and they appear to be quite knowledgable and reputable. Has anyone had any expereince of buying from them? Or are there any other dealers you'd recommend?

Many thanks in advance.
Old 03-29-2013, 08:47 AM
Mike Ward
Race Director

Received 29 Likes on 27 Posts

Originally Posted by Celtic

I really want to know as much about the C2 as possible; what I should be looking for, what year is the best..I hear a 'mid year' is the best model to buy.
If you don't know one generation from another, never mind one year from another, you're a long way from choosing an individual seller with a particular car.

Unless you've got more money than time and don't mind being fleeced, spend a year or so learning about the cars. There's no shortage of info.
Old 03-29-2013, 09:38 AM
Mike Terry
Le Mans Master

Received 270 Likes on 202 Posts

I see you have just joined the Corvette Fourm. First off WELCOME. I have sent you a PM. Like Mike M said there is a wealth of information out there and don't think you must or have to buy from a dealer. Not all but most dealers know nothing about the cars they are selling. Only that it was traded in or there buyer went out and bought it for the salsman to resale. First off you need to know what you want Coupe or Convertible, big block or small block, automatic or 4 spd, color of exterior and color of interior and then maybe what would be your second choise if you can not find your first choise. Wait, the list goes on. What options are you looking for, are you wanting a driver or a NCRS show car that you will be affraid to drive or a fixer upper that you needs some work on? But maybe most important is knowing how much $$$ you have to spend and what you can buy with that amount of $$$. You will also have to figure in your shipping cost and your import tax that you will have to pay also. You will also need to know a good shipping container company and know who will be loading the car in the container to make sure it is safe for shipping. I know all of this because I send cars and other items to my friends in Austria. If there is anything I can do to help you let me know. In the PM I sent you there is contact information to my friends in Austria so you can check out what I have just told you. Good Luck. mikes54vet@aol.com
Old 03-31-2013, 09:56 AM
Celtic
2nd Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Mike Ward
If you don't know one generation from another, never mind one year from another, you're a long way from choosing an individual seller with a particular car.

Unless you've got more money than time and don't mind being fleeced, spend a year or so learning about the cars. There's no shortage of info.
Thanks for the 'helpful' advice. I'm prepared to spend the time searching for information and have bought numerous books, watched YTube clips, been to classic UK car shows but this is the first time I've joined a forum and was hoping enthusiastic members might share their experiences and knowledge. I've seen some other members have made themselves available so I'll pick up the conversation direct with them.
Old 03-31-2013, 10:14 AM
Kerrmudgeon
Race Director

Received 4,583 Likes on 2,157 Posts
2020 Corvette of the Year Finalist (appearance mods)
C1 of Year Finalist (appearance mods) 2019

Originally Posted by Mike Terry
..... Wait, the list goes on. What options are you looking for, are you wanting a driver or a NCRS show car that you will be affraid to drive or a fixer upper that you needs some work on? But maybe most important is knowing how much $$$ you have to spend and what you can buy with that amount of $$$......
Must be too early in the morning Mike..

Celtic:...do you have to change it to wrong side steering to import it? If you're not half mechanic, I'd recommend finding out if there is an old American car mechanic close to you before buying. Old cars, restored or not, always have something to fix or repair on them, no matter what the seller says. :cheers;

Last edited by Kerrmudgeon; 03-31-2013 at 10:18 AM.
Old 03-31-2013, 10:36 AM
63Corvette
Le Mans Master

Received 283 Likes on 199 Posts

Welcome to the Forum, Celtic There is a wealth of (good) information here provided by knowledgeable owners and drivers. You might want to specifically target Forum members who have already imported Corvettes from the US to the UK and/or to Australia, as they have already negotiated the same problems you face and will have resolutions. Good Luck
Old 03-31-2013, 10:40 AM
Jalopy31
Drifting

Received 27 Likes on 21 Posts

Welcome to the forum.

If you're considering a modified car, here's one already in the UK that is for sale on the forum now:

http://forums.corvetteforum.com/c1s-...to-mod-uk.html

And it has already been converted to RHD too.

Todd
Old 03-31-2013, 10:56 AM
TheSaint
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 60 Likes on 40 Posts

Welcome to the forum
The most important thing when buying a Corvette C2 is thatyou check that there is no rust in the birdcage and frame.

As i see it a birdcage with rust issues is nothing i would buy

Here is a couple of pictures of the birdcage for a Corvette C2 coupe
It is just as important on a convertible

Also check the body that it have all of the bonding strips ad so on intact
Attached Images   

Get notified of new replies

To Importing from the US to the UK C2

Quick Reply: Importing from the US to the UK C2