C1 & C2 Corvettes General C1 Corvette & C2 Corvette Discussion, Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Project Builds, Restorations

Front body mount #1

Search this Thread

Old 01-01-2013, 12:15 PM
ptwohey
Burning Brakes

Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts

Default Front body mount #1

Can anyone please tell me how the #1 mount on the C2, 1966 radiator cradle attaches to the chassis? Is there a rubber cushion? Thanks.
Old 01-01-2013, 12:38 PM
ptwohey
Burning Brakes

Default Body Mount

Looking at the assembly manual I do not think the radiator cradle frame is called #1 so it is the cradle itself that I am trying to figure out.
Old 01-01-2013, 12:46 PM
62Jeff
Tech Contributor
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 47 Likes on 37 Posts

Looking at my 65 assembly manual, I only see a cushion between the radiator and the core support. Looks like the core support bolts straight to the frame.
Old 01-01-2013, 12:50 PM
JohnZ
Team Owner

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,856 Likes on 1,099 Posts

Originally Posted by ptwohey
Can anyone please tell me how the #1 mount on the C2, 1966 radiator cradle attaches to the chassis? Is there a rubber cushion? Thanks.
The #1 mount is the one at the base of the firewall - the radiator support-to-frame mount isn't numbered. The attachment is shown in your Assembly Manual in UPC 11/13, sheet A5, View "C"; there's no cushion - it's a solid mount, and you'll normally find that the factory shims are welded to the frame.
Attached Images  
Old 01-01-2013, 12:53 PM
1snake
Le Mans Master

Received 652 Likes on 446 Posts

Originally Posted by 62Jeff
Looking at my 65 assembly manual, I only see a cushion between the radiator and the core support. Looks like the core support bolts straight to the frame.
Yup. The shims at that point are welded to the frame and the rad. support bolts directly to the frame. The only cushions are at the rad. mounting points. Two at the bottom, one at the top.

Jim
Old 01-01-2013, 01:25 PM
ptwohey
Burning Brakes

Default Thanks John and Jim

I really appreciate the info from both of you and the photo certainly help. Now I can understand why the bolts in the mount kit are so short. Happy New Year!
Old 01-01-2013, 01:26 PM
ptwohey
Burning Brakes

Default Jeff too!

Sorry Jeff, I didn't scroll down far enough to see your help. Thanks to you also. Pat
Old 01-02-2013, 06:39 AM
66DCJR
Instructor

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

I just squirted all 6 body mounting bolts yesterday with PB blaster. What kind of difficulties am I facing removing these rusted bolts ? Have not removed the access panels yet on the #4 mounts . I believe only 6 correct? My Nolan Adams manual on it's way.
Old 01-02-2013, 05:21 PM
ptwohey
Burning Brakes

DCJR,
What you are asking cannot be predicted by anyone who is not witness to the condition of your mounts.
You claim 6 bolts were sprayed so you do not have all of them. Yes, there are two behind the access panels and if you have a convertible there are two under the sill plates.

If you have a southern car and only a slight amount of rust then the PB is good and spray them several times before attempting removal. If your car came from the North were salt is used on the roads there's no telling what you are in for.
My car is from Massachusetts and a convertible. It took me several weeks to get them out working weekends. The radiator mount was rotted so a socket and vise grip got those off. The other 8 were a combination of PB and an impact gun. A few came out and the others were so rotted they snapped then once the body was lifted off I used a torch to remove the stud. On #4 I replaced the cage and nut totally. Behind the access panels was so packed with leaves and residue I used a wrench and breaker bar to snap what was left of the bolts then drive them out.

Good Luck!
Old 01-04-2013, 04:35 AM
66DCJR
Instructor

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

ptwohey. Thanks for the input. Mine is a NE car, owned for 26 yrs. here in NH. My rad. supports and other bolting removed with very little PB. Not bad shape in that dept. Body mounts look rough for all good reasons. Not quite ready to remove. Preping motor for paint,etc. Want that done before I begin cleaning/painting frame. Body needs no work at all.

Get notified of new replies

To Front body mount #1

Quick Reply: Front body mount #1