C1 & C2 Corvettes General C1 Corvette & C2 Corvette Discussion, Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Project Builds, Restorations

Strange heater hose problem

Search this Thread

Old 12-29-2012, 06:31 PM
66since71
Melting Slicks

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Default Strange heater hose problem

Finishing up winterizing today.... One of my hoses appears to be leaching out coolant along it's entire length. The entire surface of the hose is wet. No puddle on the floor. It's not condensation (the car hasn't run in several weeks). The other hose is completely dry.

Anyone ever see this happen?

Harry
Old 12-29-2012, 06:55 PM
5thvet
Le Mans Master

Received 34 Likes on 27 Posts

Harry,
Is it the whole hose that is wet or just the bottom. Could be a slight drip at either connection and running the entire length.

Don
Old 12-29-2012, 07:09 PM
Bluestripe67
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 2,126 Likes on 1,465 Posts
C2 of the Year Finalist - Modified 2020

Did you wipe it off with a paper towel, then look at it? I'll bet it is condensation, unless it's as 5thvet suggested. Dennis
Old 12-30-2012, 10:29 AM
66since71
Melting Slicks

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

So I took another look, it's the whole hose, top, bottom, sides and along the entire length. The hose is the smaller one that connects the lower heater core connection to the intake manifold. The larger hose is dry, everywhere.

On the second look, though, I noticed the same kind of wetness on the upper radiator hose, but only near the radiator and on the lower radiator hose, but only near the water pump. These were both completely normal (dry) along the rest of their length.

When I wipe it dry, the material I wipe off is a little sticky, and comes off mostly black, although I think I see some antifreeze green in it.

Time to change anti freeze? This one is really strange. I've never seen anything like it before. Any more thoughts?

Thanks to all and Happy New Year!

Harry
Old 12-30-2012, 10:39 AM
Matt Gruber
Race Director

Received 75 Likes on 51 Posts

well, 3 states have legalized pot, so i guess i have to get used to posts like this
HNY
Old 12-30-2012, 11:37 AM
Bluestripe67
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 2,126 Likes on 1,465 Posts
C2 of the Year Finalist - Modified 2020

How old are the hoses, and are they brand name such as Gates, GoodYear or NAPA (made by Gates). I guess age and composition could play a part. Dennis
Old 12-30-2012, 11:52 AM
Mike Ward
Race Director

Received 30 Likes on 28 Posts

It can only be the ethanol.
Old 12-30-2012, 12:32 PM
65tripleblack
Safety Car

Received 235 Likes on 212 Posts

Originally Posted by 66since71
Finishing up winterizing today.... One of my hoses appears to be leaching out coolant along it's entire length. The entire surface of the hose is wet. No puddle on the floor. It's not condensation (the car hasn't run in several weeks). The other hose is completely dry.

Anyone ever see this happen?

Harry
Yes, I have seen this happen with reproduction hoses which are advertised to "appear" as original. The cure was to use Gates or other known brands which are prominently marked as "heater" hoses.

Apparently, an inferior rubber was used which was not impervious to ethylene glycol.

There have been instances where, again, a reproduction windshield washer hose which "appears original" with correct ribs, etc, left a yellowish-white vaseline-like scum (comments?) in the washer tank. Replacement with proper name brand hoses cleared that condition as well.

Get notified of new replies

To Strange heater hose problem

Quick Reply: Strange heater hose problem