C1 & C2 Corvettes General C1 Corvette & C2 Corvette Discussion, Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Project Builds, Restorations

End of the world 62 build

Search this Thread

Old 12-18-2012, 10:58 PM
MrPbody
Drifting

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
Default End of the world 62 build

preface:
I've dreamed of owning a 62 Corvette since I was 12 years old and watching rt 66 in black and white. So with only a few more days left for the world, I guess I can die happy now.

As some of you know, I just finished rebuilding a 64 (this side up)….. oh-well. no regrets here. When I recently retired and decided to purchase a Vette, I test fit my dairyer in both solid axle cars as well as mid years, and even though my dream has always been for a 61-62, I also had fond memories of many cruise nights in my high school buddies SWc. Many told me of the harsh ride, poor headroom, poor steering of the early cars, and how I "wouldn't be happy with one at my age", so I convinced myself that I could be happy with the mid year, in exchange for more comfort for my tired old body. Weeellllllllllll, wile I do enjoy the 64, it just didn't take away that nagging little urge to own a solid axle car.
Not being fortunate enough to retire rich, and actually preferring to "build" my own cars anyway, I started keeping an eye open for a 61-62 project that I could afford. As good fortune would have it, another member here knew of one for sale, and was kind enough to share that information with me. Thanks Al T !!
To make a long story… not so long. I struck a deal with the owner of the 62 and took delivery December 17th.

The PO (Lee) has known the car since 1974, when it was purchased by a friend of his at a used car lot in Washington state. It was eventually purchased by Lee, who also lives in Washington, and enjoyed for a few years, until he decided it was time for it to go to someone who could bring it back to a condition reflecting it's happier days. The car was painted what I could only describe as "godawful blue" back in the 70s by someone who should really have his painters permit revoked. not only were areas in the trunk and under the soft top cover not prepped for paint (and is now falling off in sheets), but apparently the paint was already mixed before he discovered he hadn't purchased any masking tape for the job. ohh well, no-one will notice the paint on every rubber seal on the car as long as it's good and thick, with a nice gloss, right?. I expect to spray a nice Maroon or black cheery bc/cc on the car before project end.
I can manage body and paint work, but being of decrepit body and mind, I was determined to purchase a car that had a solid frame. crawling around under a car doing a frame repair or swap isn't my idea of a good time these days (getting down is easy, it's the getting back up that hurts). But SOLID frame would be an understatement for this car, as even the original rear crossmember is solid as a rock, and has nary a rust pit.
Interior is good, needing only minor spiffing, chrome and trim is in good driver condition, top is pretty good for it's age, and should serve as is with minor work and a couple new seals.
Sometime prior to 74 the 327 engine parted company with the car, and in it's place was implanted a 283 from a 64 Chevelle. wile it does run quite well indeed, there is just something not right about having that engine it that car, so I'm working on a plan to install a TPI injected 350 from a 90 Corvette in it's place.
Who loves the wheels on this car??? When disco died they should have recalled them IMHO, so if you'd like to make me an offer I'll be listening. I'm thinking Torque thrust or Craigers should fill the bill nicely however.
Today was just an "evaluation day" for the most part. I crawled around under, over, and along side, just trying to get a feel for what the car wants to become. The roof apparently sprung a leak during transport (what? rain in December? who'd a thunk it?) and I wanted to strip out some interior anyway, so out came the seats and carpet. I adjusted the top frame a bit so it no longer hits the seat back when folded up, pulled out the glove box door and removed the latch that had been painted over (good and thick however, so you didn't even notice that darn shiny stainless.)

This project will likely be a bit more of a casual pace than the 64 was, but regular posts will follow as progress progresses.

Russ

Last edited by MrPbody; 12-20-2012 at 12:39 PM.
Old 12-18-2012, 11:40 PM
Al T
Burning Brakes

Received 30 Likes on 23 Posts

Russ,

Good luck with the new acquisition. I look forward to watching the resurrection. Based on your '64, it's going to be awesome!!

Allan
Old 12-19-2012, 12:45 AM
Kerrmudgeon
Race Director

Received 4,583 Likes on 2,157 Posts
2020 Corvette of the Year Finalist (appearance mods)
C1 of Year Finalist (appearance mods) 2019

...another 62 in the crowd. I'm curious how you adjusted to top to stop it hitting the seat back corners Russ. Most of them do. I carry small bits of leather to put between where they rub.

Are those western 15x7in wheels? I may be interested in them if the shipping doesn't kill me.
Old 12-19-2012, 01:06 AM
narlee
Melting Slicks

Received 146 Likes on 69 Posts

Sounds like you're in for some fun. Maybe I'll get to see it in person sometime when I get down there again.
Old 12-19-2012, 05:31 AM
Frankie the Fink
Team Owner

Received 7,082 Likes on 4,736 Posts
Army

Originally Posted by Kerrmudgeon
...another 62 in the crowd. I'm curious how you adjusted to top to stop it hitting the seat back corners Russ. Most of them do. I carry small bits of leather to put between where they rub.
Me too...I carry a small white washcloth for the same purpose
Congrats on snagging the C1...they ride fine. Don't buy all that BS...
Old 12-19-2012, 05:55 AM
SIXTYTWO
Melting Slicks

Received 102 Likes on 74 Posts

Default 62

Russ,
Congrats on your new 62. I had looked at that car a few months back but it was just too far away as I'm in New Jersey. Lots of potential too so with your talant it should turn out great. Love those 62 s . Keep us posted. Rich
Old 12-19-2012, 06:20 AM
Revfan
Safety Car

Received 171 Likes on 120 Posts

Casual Pace?????

What the...

Well I...

er... uhmmm....

Humpf!

That should mean you will be done by Valentines day to take your wife out to dinner in the 62...
right?
Old 12-19-2012, 06:59 AM
Mike Terry
Le Mans Master

Received 270 Likes on 202 Posts

Don't die now. Stick around long enough to enjoy it. Drive it like you stole it.
Old 12-19-2012, 07:36 AM
69ttop502
Le Mans Master

Received 854 Likes on 625 Posts

Congrats, will look forward to your progress. I, too, would also like to know how you adjusted the top frame to not hit the seats. I keep ripping the piping on my seats from that.

Bill
Old 12-19-2012, 07:51 AM
6T7L71CPE
Melting Slicks

Received 379 Likes on 250 Posts

Originally Posted by MrPbody

This project will likely be a bit more of a casual pace than the 64 was, but regular posts will follow as progress progresses.

Russ
Casual Pace???? Good Gawd, you haven't had it two days and the interior is already stripped out!!! I'm looking forward to the build!
Old 12-19-2012, 08:18 AM
Revfan
Safety Car

Received 171 Likes on 120 Posts

HA!
6T7L71CPE... Well Played... well played.
Old 12-19-2012, 09:09 AM
C-1 Generation 2
Melting Slicks

Received 61 Likes on 53 Posts

Congratulations fellow 62 owner!

By the high RPM tach looks like it was either a 340hp or fuelie. Have you checked to see if it was a possible Fuelie?
Old 12-19-2012, 09:17 AM
wmf62
Race Director

Received 727 Likes on 621 Posts
St. Jude Donor '07

Originally Posted by Kerrmudgeon
i don't know of a way either... i double up heavy socks and slip them over the frame ends nearest the seat backs/
Bill
Old 12-19-2012, 09:22 AM
oldsarge
Race Director

Received 14 Likes on 9 Posts

Looks like another interesting project, good luck.
Old 12-19-2012, 09:38 AM
bigearl56
Melting Slicks
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 57 Likes on 37 Posts

Default New Project

Hay man don't knock those wheels. I purchased a new '77 and before I got it home a set was installed. Put them for sale over in the C3 section and they will sell before you can say "American Mags"
Seriously that is going to be a fun car to restore and then drive. Good luck and keep us in the loop.

Earl
Old 12-19-2012, 10:46 AM
Advanced

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Congrats on the purchase, a great find. Looks like a good, solid, '62 to have fun with.
I have had my '62 since '83 and I don't think you are ever done with a project.
Keep us posted, and good luck.
Old 12-19-2012, 11:12 AM
MrPbody
Drifting

Originally Posted by 6T7L71CPE
Casual Pace???? Good Gawd, you haven't had it two days and the interior is already stripped out!!!
I know. that's what I mean. If I wasn't so lazy I'd have the paint stripped off by now and masking for paint.
.=========.

As to the top adjustment. ignorance is bliss I guess. ie: I had the advantage of not knowing that it couldn't be adjusted.

I noticed that as the top was lowered, the right side folded down into the compartment very straight, but the left side fame actually pulled forward as the assembly was pushed down into the stowed position. I figured if the right side stayed back, there must be a way to make the left side do the same, so I studied the mechanism as I repeatedly folded and raised the top. it appeared that the small link was the culprit (shown with green tape). so I tweaked it and tested until the top did what I wanted it to do. unfortunately, after I got the top to fold well, it would no longer sit on the header pin when in use [scratches head and winces]. eventually I figured out that by setting the top on the header and loosely latching it, then loosening the adjustment bolts (green tape) that adjustment can still go through it's own arc and affect the collapsed position without changing the latched position (does that make sense?).
anyway. put the top up and latch it on the header, then loosen the adjustment bolts (green tape) and pull up on the adjustment plate, allowing it to follow it's own arc. retighten the bolts and test to see if the top folds completely down without also coming forward in the last stages. it only took a couple tries on mine before finding the sweet spot.
Legal disclaimer attached btw.

I see no name on the mag wheels themselves, except for the center caps which say Cragar. not sure that Cragar ever made this style wheel however. in the pile of notes that Lee gave me, it shows that in 1976 "4 Lone Star mags 16 fin" were purchased from Six Robbles for $115.61 . there's actually 5 of these, and are 14x7"

Thanks for the encouragement guys. I'm going off to stare at my new acquisition now.

Russ

Last edited by MrPbody; 12-19-2012 at 11:38 AM. Reason: add info

Get notified of new replies

To End of the world 62 build

Old 12-19-2012, 11:23 AM
Fawndeuce
Safety Car

Received 35 Likes on 29 Posts

Congrats and welcome to the '62 club Russ!
I 'dunno though, a TPI injected 350 sounds 'kinda ordinary when coming from you, I was thinking more along the lines of the worlds first Northstar powered '62?
I mean compared to a T-bucket or Fiero, how hard could it be right?

Paul
Old 12-19-2012, 11:47 AM
MrPbody
Drifting

Originally Posted by Fawndeuce
Congrats and welcome to the '62 club Russ!
I 'dunno though, a TPI injected 350 sounds 'kinda ordinary when coming from you, I was thinking more along the lines of the worlds first Northstar powered '62?
I mean compared to a T-bucket or Fiero, how hard could it be right?

Paul
Not hard at all, compared to the 2 Northstar cars I've already built . but therein lies the rub. I've done that already, and I haven't ever done a TPI motor.
There use to be (it was stolen a couple years ago) a high dollar early 60s Nova here in town with a Northstar. it had some chic name like "Novastar" or something. pretty cool, and certainly different, but………

Russ
Old 12-19-2012, 11:58 AM
MrPbody
Drifting

Originally Posted by C-1 Generation 2
Congratulations fellow 62 owner!

By the high RPM tach looks like it was either a 340hp or fuelie. Have you checked to see if it was a possible Fuelie?
I was told it was originally a 250 hp car, but figured the tach was changed at some point. what else should I look for to tell?

Russ

Quick Reply: End of the world 62 build