C1 & C2 Corvettes General C1 Corvette & C2 Corvette Discussion, Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Project Builds, Restorations

More SCAMS for the Holiday's

Search this Thread

Old 12-20-2012, 06:35 AM
Mike Terry
Le Mans Master

Received 270 Likes on 202 Posts

Default More SCAMS for the Holiday's

Here is kind of a new SCAM. He has the listed 1-6 instead of all in the letter. Also like all the others they never say whayt it is they are trying to buy from you. Maybe I should reply and ask him to kindly kiss my AZZ.
Do people really believe these kind of SCAMS?
Below is an e-mail I got this morning.

Thanks for your mail.i will appreciate more pictures..I am ready to buy it now for my son as a surprise promise gift,And due to the nature of my work,phone calls making and visiting of website are restricted but i squeezed out time to check this advert and send you an email regarding it.i would be glad to pay for it as soon as possible though i will not be available to come for an inspection due to my tight schedule.Kindly get back to me with the following questions below:

1) Are you the Owner?

2) Pick up Location?

3) Your PayPal Email ID to effect the payment

4)what is The final Price

5)is there any other issues with the item not mentioned on Craigslist?

6)kindly remove the post from craigslist

I would be glad to make the payment immediately through PayPal so kindly get back to me with your PayPal ID. You need not to worry yourself about title transfer and shipment,i will instruct the shipping company to handle that therefore in order to complete the transaction do get back to me with your PayPal ID and total cost so that I can make the payment asap. I will

be waiting for your reply!
Old 12-20-2012, 07:44 AM
plaidside
Safety Car

Received 1,122 Likes on 550 Posts
2023 C2 of the Year Finalist - Unmodified
2023 C1 of the Year Finalist - Unmodified

I just put up a few items on craigslist. I have yet to get a legimate offer or email yet.
Evvery question is answered in the post.
Here are some of the emails I received in two days:

What is the lowest you are willing to let it go?
________________________________________ __________

Hello,
Hello,I will like to know if this item still up for sale and what is the condition?

Thanks
Bob Moore (sent from Dean)
________________________________________ _____________

Hello,
Hope its still available for sale and in perfect condition also let me know your best price.

Thanks
________________________________________ ____________

Hello seller

Do you have this item for sale and what is the actual price?
________________________________________ ________________

Am interested in the deal. So what is your best price.

Thanks

Sent from my Verizon Wireless Smartphone.
________________________________________ ________________________
Hello

still up for sale?i got your item on craiglist but i van`t find the price on it?Kindly get back to me with the price if still up for sale?Thanks....
Old 12-20-2012, 07:45 AM
Railroadman
Team Owner

Received 5,008 Likes on 2,528 Posts
St. Jude Donor '09-'10-'11-'12-'13-'14-'15-'16-'17-'18-‘19-'20-'21-'22-'23-'24

Make to me laugh! Kindly explain why as to your thought this a scam. Your Pay-Pal account will soon be full to overflowing with money for purchase of item.
Old 12-20-2012, 08:16 AM
LoneStarV
Burning Brakes

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

ROFL!!! The poor grasp of the English language and crappy grammar is a dead give away every time. I have untold millions waiting for me in Africa because someone with my surname died with no living relatives.
Old 12-20-2012, 09:10 AM
RatDog
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,581 Likes on 818 Posts
2023 C2 of the Year Finalist - Unmodified
St. Jude Donor '20-'21-'22-'23-'24

Earlier this year, I put my father-in-law's car for sale on Craig's list up in Minnesota. The next day, I received a similar response to my ad from a guy in Texas. However, in my case, the "buyer" offered to pay me several hundred dollars extra "for my trouble".

Apparently there aren't any 10-year old, nondescript, high mileage Dodge minivans available in Texas <LOL>.
Old 12-20-2012, 09:29 AM
HeyMark
Supporting Member

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 24 Likes on 17 Posts

There appear to be a few similarities in how scammers make their initial pitch. One is awkward composition of the wordplay....it stumbles along as you read it. Another is use of words such as "advert" and an overly gracious approach, as in "kindly remove your advert".
Old 12-20-2012, 09:31 AM
Mike Terry
Le Mans Master

Received 270 Likes on 202 Posts

Little do they know or maybe they think that most sellers don't know that Pay pal has a $2000.00 per transaction limit. I would like to see them try to send 40 or 50K VIA Pay pal. Ha Ha Ha
Old 12-20-2012, 09:45 AM
LoneStarV
Burning Brakes

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Don't be so sure Mike. Some of these scams have several layers to them. They may not even be after your personal/account info. Slickest one i ever saw was because i toyed with one of them in a junk email account i have. Emailed back and forth and they never once asked for personal/account info. Finally they sent me a phone number and asked me to call them to discuss matters. There it was. I checked the phone number. It was an international toll number and if you call it? $3000.00 on your phone bill and the phone company WILL make you pay it.
Old 12-20-2012, 11:31 AM
aafadca
Racer

Received 15 Likes on 15 Posts

Originally Posted by LoneStarV
Don't be so sure Mike. Some of these scams have several layers to them. They may not even be after your personal/account info. Slickest one i ever saw was because i toyed with one of them in a junk email account i have. Emailed back and forth and they never once asked for personal/account info. Finally they sent me a phone number and asked me to call them to discuss matters. There it was. I checked the phone number. It was an international toll number and if you call it? $3000.00 on your phone bill and the phone company WILL make you pay it.
That's a good one to remember. What else will they come up with?

Get notified of new replies

To More SCAMS for the Holiday's

Quick Reply: More SCAMS for the Holiday's