C1 & C2 Corvettes General C1 Corvette & C2 Corvette Discussion, Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Project Builds, Restorations

LS Swap plannng....opinions please

Search this Thread

Old 12-08-2012, 10:05 AM
CWerner
Drifting
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 15 Likes on 9 Posts

Default LS Swap plannng....opinions please

As some of you know, I've got a 64 "Old School" Resto-Mod, and last spring I bought a 72 coupe. It's a body off / fully restored base model with auto and 3.08 rear gears. I love the car but I'm really disappointed with the overall performance, both ride/handling and SOP fun. I knew this going in, but I really wanted a great bumper car. So with all of that said, I've decided to jump all in and do a complete LS Resto-Mod. I'm posting this here on the C2 board because many of you have done these on C2's and there are a lot of commonalities between a C2 & C3 LS swaps. I've also got it up on the C3 board.

Engine: Used LS3 out of a 2010 Grand Sport. I plan to boost HP to just over 500 HP with cam and head porting.

Exhaust: I'm planning on using Z06 exhaust manifolds instead of headers. Plan to tie this to pypes 2.5" x-pipe system. Haven't decided on mufflers yet.

Tranny: Keisler RS 500. I went this way instead of the SS700 due to gearing combination advantage. The SS would have required me to change out my 3.08 rear gears. The kit is an auto to manual perfect fit for an LS motor.

Suspension: Going with the Jim Meyers C3 Handling Package which includes custom tubular "A" arms up front, QA-1 Double Adj coil-overs, and a 1" sway bar. In the back, QA-1 Double Adj shocks, with a sway bar. I'm going to add on a VBP 330# mono spring and smart struts to finish off the back end.

Steering: Debated between Rack or not. Decided on Borgeson gear box.

Brakes: I'm going with a Hydrotech boost, modified for an LS, with a Willwood master cylinder. Staying with my existing disc's.

Radiator: Dewitts LS series for C3 Corvettes

Gauges: Dakota digital VHX series for C3's. They have custom developed this series for several cars, and currently they are working on the C3 version. They just introduced a killer C2 package that I'm also considering for my C2. I can't decide if I want the blue or red color with the silver background????

Custom fit items: I'm working directly with Josh Powers at customimagecorvettes.com on misc custom items such as wiring harness, front accessory drive, etc.

So, fire away with thoughts and ideas. Things I'm still considering are:

Go with a carb setup instead of EFI. This would be easier and less expensive and provide a more "original" look. Downside....not EFI. What else?

Relocate coil packs and install custom valve covers or don't and put coil pack covers on.

Should I upgrade my AC system to a vintage air (or other) while I'm in there? Mine doesn't work very well and I hate the blower capacity.

Here are some links to my parts lists:
http://www.customimagecorvettes.com/
http://www.dakotadigital.com/index.c...rod/prd721.htm
http://www.ebay.com/itm/120832001049...84.m1432.l2649
http://www.jimmeyerracing.com/cv7.html
http://www.keislerauto.com/gm/corvet...page_tabs.html
http://www.dewitts.com/collections/l...eries-radiator
http://www.vbandp.com/C2-C3-Corvette...rged-Ends.html
http://www.vbandp.com/C2-C3-Corvette...r-1963-77.html
http://www.vbandp.com/C2-C3-Corvette...ke-Assist.html
Old 12-09-2012, 12:23 PM
firstgear
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 640 Likes on 358 Posts
2019 Corvette of the Year Winner
St. Jude Donor '15

Don't take this wrong, but, putting $ into a C3 is like putting it in a black hole.....sorry to all those that have one.

I wouldn't.

I had one C3, sold it after a few months, 1978 L82, 4 speed Indy Pace car. Relatively rare with motor trans combo, but putting the money into it to bring up to really nice condition condition, just wasnt going to happen. Sold it.
Old 12-09-2012, 12:42 PM
CWerner
Drifting
Support Corvetteforum!

Herb,

No offense taken. If the car wasn't a bumper car, I would agree 100%. I know it won't carry the value of a C2 resto-mod, but I'm mainly doing it for me.

I'm hoping since I'm doing the work, I'll value it more over the long haul. My kids can worry about its value.

Chris
Old 12-09-2012, 01:04 PM
midyearvette
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by CWerner
Herb,

No offense taken. If the car wasn't a bumper car, I would agree 100%. I know it won't carry the value of a C2 resto-mod, but I'm mainly doing it for me.

I'm hoping since I'm doing the work, I'll value it more over the long haul. My kids can worry about its value.

Chris
" bumper" cars are finally starting to get the respect they deserve...jmo....
Old 12-09-2012, 01:17 PM
firstgear
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 640 Likes on 358 Posts
2019 Corvette of the Year Winner
St. Jude Donor '15

Herb,

Chris
I forgot to mention, as long as a significant smile factor is involved, that is all that matters!
Old 12-09-2012, 03:20 PM
00fxd
Melting Slicks

Received 42 Likes on 39 Posts

Sounds like you've put some planning into and have the funds to finance project. I would stay with efi. It's gonna be cool.
Old 12-09-2012, 04:55 PM
woodsdesign
Safety Car

Received 538 Likes on 350 Posts

Herb,

Chris
Chris, Why not sell the C3 and install the LS3 in the C2 Bag and tag the original motor. JMO
Old 12-10-2012, 10:46 AM
CWerner
Drifting
Support Corvetteforum!

Woods,

Two problems with that suggestion:

1). What would I put on my new 4 post lift? My wife would kill me.

2). The C2 is already a resto-mod.

Old 12-10-2012, 02:41 PM
John S 1961
Melting Slicks

Received 195 Likes on 136 Posts

Maybe order a nice aluminum head 383 and bolt it in. Add a five speed finish in 3 months not 1 year and 3 months.
Old 12-10-2012, 04:33 PM
ChattanoogaJSB
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 875 Likes on 538 Posts

Originally Posted by midyearvette
" bumper" cars are finally starting to get the respect they deserve...jmo....
Bumper cars are next in line to me after Sting Rays, ahead of C1's even. Having spent a good deal of time driving C3's of all types from a 68 L71/radio delete/survivor/original paint through a bevy of '81/'82, and having owned and built a '69 I can say that in my mind a bumper car belongs in a whole other category, I wouldn't give a plug nickel for a '74 up and even '73's put me off (truly no offense to those who enjoy them)

To keep this on-topic (Ummmm...) I'd say build the C3 if it floats your boat, there are a lot of nice executions over on the C3 forum that really get me going!

Last edited by ChattanoogaJSB; 12-10-2012 at 04:34 PM. Reason: add
Old 12-11-2012, 10:35 AM
Stan's Customs
Melting Slicks
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 88 Likes on 66 Posts

Originally Posted by ChattanoogaJSB
Bumper cars are next in line to me after Sting Rays, ahead of C1's even. Having spent a good deal of time driving C3's of all types from a 68 L71/radio delete/survivor/original paint through a bevy of '81/'82, and having owned and built a '69 I can say that in my mind a bumper car belongs in a whole other category, I wouldn't give a plug nickel for a '74 up and even '73's put me off (truly no offense to those who enjoy them)

To keep this on-topic (Ummmm...) I'd say build the C3 if it floats your boat, there are a lot of nice executions over on the C3 forum that really get me going!

Nice ones are beginning to bring some big $$$ around here. Many of the up and comming young professionals much perfer them....

Last edited by Stan's Customs; 12-11-2012 at 10:42 AM.

Get notified of new replies

To LS Swap plannng....opinions please

Quick Reply: LS Swap plannng....opinions please