C1 & C2 Corvettes General C1 Corvette & C2 Corvette Discussion, Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Project Builds, Restorations

Heater Core

Search this Thread

Old 12-01-2012, 01:31 PM
jeff batchelor
Pro

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

Default Heater Core

My heater core is leaking in my 66 so its time to replace. I've done this before on a 64 I had so I'm not looking foward to it. Without having to do alot of research, who sells the best core at the best price? Thanks

Jeff
Old 12-01-2012, 01:52 PM
1snake
Le Mans Master

Received 652 Likes on 446 Posts

Take your old one to a radiator shop and have it re-cored. That way you'll know it will fit correctly. All the ones I've found available are made in China, including the Delco ones. If you buy one instead of re-coring yours, you'll still need to take to a radiator shop and have it pressure tested.

Jim
Old 12-01-2012, 03:06 PM
midyearvette
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by jeff batchelor
My heater core is leaking in my 66 so its time to replace. I've done this before on a 64 I had so I'm not looking foward to it. Without having to do alot of research, who sells the best core at the best price? Thanks

Jeff
just got one from keen parts for a friend
had i checked and is ok
dunno where it is made but the one i installed in my 66 12 years ago is still holding........
Old 12-01-2012, 04:06 PM
Dennis Beck
Drifting

Received 38 Likes on 21 Posts

Here is what I used:

NAPA w/o AC # NHC 6603525
w/AC # NHC 6603524

It has been seven years since I did mine.

Dennis
Old 12-01-2012, 04:31 PM
MikeM
Team Owner

Received 1,843 Likes on 1,398 Posts

Originally Posted by Dennis Beck
Here is what I used:

NAPA w/o AC # NHC 6603525
w/AC # NHC 6603524

It has been seven years since I did mine.

Dennis
I bought one of those about five years ago when my original sprung a leak. Made in Mexico, I think?

It lasted about a year and then started leaking. Small bottle of Barr's has fixed the problem for the last four years.
Old 12-01-2012, 04:37 PM
TheSaint
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 60 Likes on 40 Posts

Are the heather cores and i guess also evaporators that the vendors sell so bad that you have to test it before you install it?
How do the the new ones fit?
Old 12-01-2012, 04:40 PM
Dennis Beck
Drifting

Received 38 Likes on 21 Posts

Originally Posted by MikeM
I bought one of those about five years ago when my original sprung a leak. Made in Mexico, I think?

It lasted about a year and then started leaking. Small bottle of Barr's has fixed the problem for the last four years.
Well in 2012 I don't know where they may made be made in. Like many of our old replacement parts these days the real "source" is often the same despite the vendor. I honestly never looked at the "source" at the time. All I can tell you is it works and it has never leaked.

Dennis
Old 12-01-2012, 06:12 PM
Scott Marzahl
Le Mans Master

Received 194 Likes on 149 Posts

I bought a Delco last week, made in Mexico, tested good, the fit was real close but did enlarge the holes on the mounting plate a tad so it fit easier. Taking out the 1976 Harrison replacement unit was tight fight.
Old 12-01-2012, 08:52 PM
midyearvette
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by TheSaint
Are the heather cores and i guess also evaporators that the vendors sell so bad that you have to test it before you install it?
How do the the new ones fit?
always test any core no matter who makes it....have it done at a rad shop unless you have the proper equipment. many problems have been a result of folks sticking an air hose in the tube and blocking off the other one.....too much pressure also from a garden hose too....
Old 12-02-2012, 10:01 AM
Avispa
Safety Car

Received 885 Likes on 634 Posts

While you're at the radiator shop, have em solder the pipes to the tank. The crimped connections have been known to pop loose.
Old 12-02-2012, 12:46 PM
Astrodokk
Burning Brakes

Received 13 Likes on 10 Posts

Mine leaked a few years ago, but I just installed two shut off valves (which I wanted anyway for summer driving), and drove with it that way until having to go under the dash recently to fix a few things (speedo cable, speaker, clock, and radio).
I was going to replace the heater core with a new one, and began to look around everywhere, but due to some good suggestions from this forum, I took it to a radiator/AC shop. They ended up repairing my original and making the pipe weld stronger than stock. Cost me $30.00.
They also made me a replacement heater core for my Airstream motorhome, so that's an option too. They can make one the same dimensions.
Old 12-02-2012, 01:50 PM
jeff batchelor
Pro

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

Thanks for all of the replies and info. I think I will see if the one I have is repairable first per the suggestions. If not I will buy one and have it tested and the tubes soldered.

Thanks Jeff
Old 12-02-2012, 03:44 PM
TheSaint
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 60 Likes on 40 Posts

Thinking of changing the heather core because it is made in 1964 but if the original heather does not have any leaks it is better to reuse that than buy a new one?

The same goes for the evaporator.

I have a factory ac car and i thought when you have the parts off it is best to change the heather core and evaporator.

I wonder if the heather cores and evaporators that the Corvette parts stores sell is made by the same company?

Get notified of new replies

To Heater Core

Quick Reply: Heater Core