C1 & C2 Corvettes General C1 Corvette & C2 Corvette Discussion, Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Project Builds, Restorations

Great video santa barbara 1965

Old 11-29-2012, 08:11 PM
jimgessner
Safety Car

Received 638 Likes on 382 Posts

Default Great video santa barbara 1965

THIS VIDEO JUST APPEARED ON U-TUBE. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6QOrC4YCdY4
OZZIE POHL now owned the #19 white 57 Corvette, formerly owned by DOUG HOOPER. THIS IS SANTA BARBARA 1965 MAY 29-30, 1965.

GREAT FOOTAGE. THE LAST ''POOF'' OF DIRT IS WHEN OZZIE LOST IT FOR THE LAST TIME WHEN THE FLYWHEEL BLEW THE BACK OF THE ENGINE AND DRIVER PEDALS ''OFF'' AND THE CAR WENT THRU THE SKY OVER THE ''ANDY GUMP'' TOILET 20 FEET IN THE AIR. SEE http://registryofcorvetteracecars.co.../view_cars/187
for more detail. DAVE HOOD from Moscow, Idaho just found the 8mm movie after 47 years on the shelf. FRED YEAKEL SAID,

'' May 29 & 30, 1965 was the first race weekend for my 1957 Corvette. We finished the car early Saturday morning and trailered it up to the SB races. The biggest problem was that the rear intake manifold seal kept failing after two laps and I would be black flagged for smoking. We finally gave up and watched the Sunday race. I watched Ozzie go over the embakement. I went to see him in the hospital and loaned him my trailer to bring his/Doug's car back to North Hollywood. If you look closely at the video, there are two Cheetahs in the background. Jerry Entin's and very briefly the silver #33 Dixon Cadillac car. I am attaching three scans from that Santa Barbara program.

NOTE JERRY ENTIN IN A CHEEATH, DAVE JORDAN AND SCOOTER PATRICK IN A PORSCH 904, DOUG HOOPER IN THE ''ALLIGATOR''. EVEN PAUL BAITY IS DRIVING MY OLD 64 B/P SILVER CORVETTE. I FOUND THE CAR IN 1985 AND RESTORED IT FOR VINTAGE RACING. TOM COTTER OWNS IT TODAY.

The internet is just great ! SAVE THE WAVE !
Old 11-29-2012, 08:51 PM
Bluestripe67
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 2,126 Likes on 1,465 Posts
C2 of the Year Finalist - Modified 2020

That is some very cool film. It looks like a tight course with a good amount of mixing it up. Did any of those car/drivers run on the east coast at Upper Marlboro track? Dennis
Old 11-29-2012, 08:53 PM
sub006
Race Director

Received 59 Likes on 52 Posts

Strange, no 260 or 289 Cobras at all! My neighbor Bill Krause is back in a Sting Ray.
Wonder what Jack Brabham thought of the big 'glass barge he drove?
Old 11-29-2012, 09:20 PM
sixt7L79
Instructor

Received 24 Likes on 14 Posts

Thanks for sharing...very cool.
Old 11-29-2012, 11:26 PM
Bill Lacy
Burning Brakes

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

Thanks Jim that was GREAT
Bill
Old 11-30-2012, 12:20 AM
jimgessner
Safety Car

Originally Posted by sub006
Strange, no 260 or 289 Cobras at all! My neighbor Bill Krause is back in a Sting Ray.
Wonder what Jack Brabham thought of the big 'glass barge he drove?
Believe it or not, JACK BRABHAM bought DICK GULDSTRAND'S 56 BLUE Corvette racer that was fitted with fuel injection and the brakes like a 57. He bought it in 1962 and sold it at the end of 1965. He drove other cars as well, as we all know. He liked the little Corvette. Said ''You can steer it with your right foot.....down !''

Last edited by jimgessner; 11-30-2012 at 11:30 AM.
Old 11-30-2012, 03:02 AM
mel e foye
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Memories

Looking at the list of drivers and owners brings back some memories of real good times. I belong to Corvettes Limited and both Andy Porterfield and Fred Yeakel are former members. In fact I still have a 5:13 Posi I bought from Fred in my 56 Vette.
Norm Burger's wife and I used to work together and for a while we car pooled. I used my 62 Vette and she had "something". Will the "something" had to be worked on so so we used M. THompson's white swing axle that he and Norm ran The Salts with. Usually I was a rider but I drove it several times when she was burnt out.
Dick Guildstrand and I spent time in his loft at his old shop looking for a hub cap. Later I joined Guldstand Racing Assoc. and ran into him at B. Gold and B. Green. He has never acted like a big shot just a great down to earth guy who can drive real fast. All great folks and it was a great time when a Vette was ran on the streets and on the track.
Mel-- next spring will mark 50 years of Corvette ownership and being one lucky _ _ B.
Old 11-30-2012, 08:05 AM
Brian VH McHale
Melting Slicks

Received 288 Likes on 185 Posts

Thanks Jim.
Old 11-30-2012, 11:50 AM
jimgessner
Safety Car

Originally Posted by mel e foye
Looking at the list of drivers and owners brings back some memories of real good times. I belong to Corvettes Limited and both Andy Porterfield and Fred Yeakel are former members. In fact I still have a 5:13 Posi I bought from Fred in my 56 Vette.
Norm Burger's wife and I used to work together and for a while we car pooled. I used my 62 Vette and she had "something". Will the "something" had to be worked on so so we used M. THompson's white swing axle that he and Norm ran The Salts with. Usually I was a rider but I drove it several times when she was burnt out.
Dick Guildstrand and I spent time in his loft at his old shop looking for a hub cap. Later I joined Guldstand Racing Assoc. and ran into him at B. Gold and B. Green. He has never acted like a big shot just a great down to earth guy who can drive real fast. All great folks and it was a great time when a Vette was ran on the streets and on the track.
Mel-- next spring will mark 50 years of Corvette ownership and being one lucky _ _ B.
I just sent you a email message Mel. I hope to visit with you soon. Here are a couple of Mickey Thompson Z0-6 cars we have researched. The owners today want to talk to you.

http://registryofcorvetteracecars.co...e/view_cars/56

http://registryofcorvetteracecars.co.../view_cars/194

http://registryofcorvetteracecars.co.../view_cars/286

http://registryofcorvetteracecars.co.../view_cars/420

THIS CAR JUST SOLD
http://registryofcorvetteracecars.co.../view_cars/865

Look forward to meeting you

Last edited by jimgessner; 11-30-2012 at 12:37 PM.
Old 11-30-2012, 06:26 PM
jimgessner
Safety Car

Default Alligator special

TAM'S RACE CAR SITE JUST POSTED THIS HISTORY ON THE ''ALLIGATOR''

http://www.tamsoldracecarsite.net/HooperAlligator.html
Old 11-30-2012, 06:46 PM
65 fi
Drifting

Received 139 Likes on 83 Posts

Originally Posted by jimgessner
THIS VIDEO JUST APPEARED ON U-TUBE. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6QOrC4YCdY4
OZZIE POHL now owned the #19 white 57 Corvette, formerly owned by DOUG HOOPER. THIS IS SANTA BARBARA 1965 MAY 29-30, 1965.

GREAT FOOTAGE. THE LAST ''POOF'' OF DIRT IS WHEN OZZIE LOST IT FOR THE LAST TIME WHEN THE FLYWHEEL BLEW THE BACK OF THE ENGINE AND DRIVER PEDALS ''OFF'' AND THE CAR WENT THRU THE SKY OVER THE ''ANDY GUMP'' TOILET 20 FEET IN THE AIR. SEE http://registryofcorvetteracecars.co.../view_cars/187
for more detail. DAVE HOOD from Moscow, Idaho just found the 8mm movie after 47 years on the shelf. FRED YEAKEL SAID,

'' May 29 & 30, 1965 was the first race weekend for my 1957 Corvette. We finished the car early Saturday morning and trailered it up to the SB races. The biggest problem was that the rear intake manifold seal kept failing after two laps and I would be black flagged for smoking. We finally gave up and watched the Sunday race. I watched Ozzie go over the embakement. I went to see him in the hospital and loaned him my trailer to bring his/Doug's car back to North Hollywood. If you look closely at the video, there are two Cheetahs in the background. Jerry Entin's and very briefly the silver #33 Dixon Cadillac car. I am attaching three scans from that Santa Barbara program.

NOTE JERRY ENTIN IN A CHEEATH, DAVE JORDAN AND SCOOTER PATRICK IN A PORSCH 904, DOUG HOOPER IN THE ''ALLIGATOR''. EVEN PAUL BAITY IS DRIVING MY OLD 64 B/P SILVER CORVETTE. I FOUND THE CAR IN 1985 AND RESTORED IT FOR VINTAGE RACING. TOM COTTER OWNS IT TODAY.

The internet is just great ! SAVE THE WAVE !
Great video Jim. Too bad we cannot get a little more cooperation from the Santa Barbara County for the currently proposed track.
Old 11-30-2012, 07:36 PM
jimgessner
Safety Car

TRIVIA POST FROM RICH MASON,

''I looked up in the Cobra Registry and yes Ozzie did purchase a Cobra CSX 2129 which was a neat race car. Raced greatly by Ken Miles and others until Ozzie purchased it in 1966 for $3380 dollars including the trailer and he had Doug Hooper drive it. The car was called the ''TROUSER SNAKE''...... He owned the car just 1 year.''
Old 11-30-2012, 08:25 PM
salty_waders
Burning Brakes

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Why did they race convertibles? I assume because they are lighter?
Old 12-01-2012, 12:17 PM
jimgessner
Safety Car

Originally Posted by salty_waders
Why did they race convertibles? I assume because they are lighter?
1957 Corvettes trimmed out were 2750-2900 lbs. They were the most popular SCCA race Corvette choice. Newer models, 58-62 were 3050-3100.

63-67 coupes are beautiful cars, but the aero at speed obove 100 mph wants to lift the front end where steering control is greatly affected. That is why the factory made two of the 5 Grand Sports into convertibles.
Old 12-12-2012, 07:43 AM
tyoneal
Burning Brakes
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts

Thanks for posting he link.

I really enjoyed it, that's a gerat pièce of Automotive Film History, very Iconic of that period in several areas.

I also liked seeing the Triumph TR3's Racing along side of them.

Did anyone notice the most expensive car in the whole Film?

It is at .41 Seconds. It's the Aston Martin DB5 used by "James Bond", in "Gold Finger". I about fell out of my chair seeing it. It just sold a while back for $4.1 Million Dollars.

https://www.google.com/#hl=en&sugexp...iw=940&bih=591

Anyway super cool clip,

Thanks,

Ty O'Neal
Old 12-12-2012, 08:37 AM
LSUvetteguy
Race Director

Received 12 Likes on 9 Posts
St. Jude Donor '10

Thanks for posting.
Old 12-12-2012, 01:06 PM
BrentF
Burning Brakes

Received 4 Likes on 1 Post

1965 was the summer our family took a one month road trip of California. Mind you, at that age I was frequenting the slot car tracks and not the real race car tracks, but the memories are still sweet.

Thanks for sharing Jim!

Get notified of new replies

To Great video santa barbara 1965

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Great video santa barbara 1965