C1 & C2 Corvettes General C1 Corvette & C2 Corvette Discussion, Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Project Builds, Restorations

New Signal Switch and Now Horn Doesn't Stop

Search this Thread

Old 11-22-2012, 11:58 AM
darrahc
Instructor

Received 5 Likes on 2 Posts

Default New Signal Switch and Now Horn Doesn't Stop

So I put in a new signal switch today because my horn would honk intermittently when I would turn and now when I reconnect the battery, it won't stop! Any ideas on how to trouble shoot this? Is it possible I stripped a wire putting it in and how do I check?

I need the trouble shooting for dummies version since I'm not very electrically inclined!

Thanks.

Oh, it's a '65 327/300.

Last edited by darrahc; 11-23-2012 at 03:27 PM.
Old 11-22-2012, 12:08 PM
62Jeff
Tech Contributor
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 47 Likes on 37 Posts

Clark,
Yes a pinched wire can cause that symptom. Also, the incorrect horn contact (the part held to the hub with three screws) can cause either an intermittent horn, or a persistent horn. If you do not find pinched wires, check your horn contact.

Your 65 and my 65 both have the standard steering column, and I too had persistent horn after replacing the signal switch. I THINK the horn would continue to blow even with the horn contact out, which is what led me to look for a pinched wire. Unfortunately the only way I know to deal with the pinched wire, is to remove the signal switch and identify, repair the insulation breach.

I hope you are still enjoying the car otherwise.

Jeff

Last edited by 62Jeff; 11-22-2012 at 12:22 PM.
Old 11-22-2012, 12:33 PM
darrahc
Instructor

Jeff - I don't see a pinched wire. Is there a way I can check without having to pull the wires back out? I also did not have horn contact installed. I just plugged in the harness to check if it worked before I put everything back together.

And yes, still loving the car! Thanks and happy Thanksgiving.
Old 11-22-2012, 12:45 PM
62Jeff
Tech Contributor
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 47 Likes on 37 Posts

Clark,
I don't know of a way to check, but the reality is your switch and/or wiring is compromised and needs to be pulled out to be repaired.

Others may have better ideas.

Jeff
Old 11-22-2012, 01:39 PM
65GGvert
Team Owner

Received 3,217 Likes on 2,301 Posts

The only wire in the column that will cause the horn to blow is the black wire that is shorted to ground when you press the horn button. It connects to the turn switch harness connector but shouldn't be grounded there. It should split at the connector and go up to where the contact goes in. If you're looking for a short, confine your search to that black wire.
Old 11-22-2012, 07:24 PM
MasterDave

Received 49 Likes on 40 Posts

You must make sure that the upper steering column bearing is completely seated in the housing or the horn will honk continually. I had to sort of pull down on the steering shaft and pre-load the spring down by the rag joint so the bearing would stay seated. Make sure also that the nylon bushings in the horn assy are not loose allowing metal to metal contact.
Old 11-22-2012, 07:54 PM
KC John
Melting Slicks

Received 134 Likes on 95 Posts
C2 of Year Finalist (appearance mods) 2019

If the mechanism is the same as on my '63, I have one more suggestion. Check that the spring under the cap has enough tension to prevent contact (unless you press it) and the ring on the cap is attached all the way around. Mine was coming off in one spot and it messed with my horn.
Old 11-22-2012, 09:51 PM
65GGvert
Team Owner

Received 3,217 Likes on 2,301 Posts

Except he said the horn blows with the horn contact out.
Old 11-22-2012, 10:07 PM
KC John
Melting Slicks

Received 134 Likes on 95 Posts
C2 of Year Finalist (appearance mods) 2019

Sorry, i missed that. Time to take it apart.
Old 11-22-2012, 10:26 PM
StuM
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Smart Azz

Hate to be a smart azz, but......maybe your system was built by Lucas from the UK!

Otherwise, the advice already given makes good sense. I replaced my signal switch on my 67 a while back and I can see how a short can easily occur within the column. On either the connectors and/or a wire where insulation has been pierced.
Old 11-23-2012, 10:50 AM
gr8corvette
Gr8Corvette
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by MasterDave
You must make sure that the upper steering column bearing is completely seated in the housing or the horn will honk continually. I had to sort of pull down on the steering shaft and pre-load the spring down by the rag joint so the bearing would stay seated. Make sure also that the nylon bushings in the horn assy are not loose allowing metal to metal contact.
I had the same problem. On the fifth time of dis-assembly and re-assembly I finally got it right and the horn stopped. Getting everything to seat correctly when you are putting it back together should no be so hard, but it is very difficult to do the first time!
Old 11-23-2012, 12:33 PM
Pilot Dan
Le Mans Master

Received 427 Likes on 317 Posts

Originally Posted by darrahc
Is it possible I stripped a wire putting it in and how do I check?

Oh, it's a '65 327/325.
I ran accross this problem a few times when trying to install one of the "new" switches. The wire harness ribbon which the black wire is part of is a bit skinnier than the original and as it routes under the steering column support in it's plastic sheath, it is easily pinched. Twice before on cars I worked on this was an issue. To confirm, loosen the 2 nuts on the steering support U bolt and move it away from the wire and move the wire and see if the horn problem resolves itself. It is most likely the wire got pinched at this point. On one I was able to fix the wire, on the other had to replace the switch again to fix it permanently.

As a suggestion, I came up with a fix that will prevent this from happening again. Run an extra nut up on each side of the U bolt before before installing the lower support plate so that when you tighten the original supporting nuts from the bottom you can limit the pressure the bottom plate is putting on the wires and avoid pinching them. Will not effect the tightness or support of the column. Pilot Dan

Last edited by Pilot Dan; 11-23-2012 at 12:36 PM.
Old 11-23-2012, 03:26 PM
darrahc
Instructor

Thanks for all the great input guys! As frustrating as it is to do something that seems relatively simple this is why I love my car - always something new to learn. I'll run through the suggestions before ordering a new switch and will post back with what I find.
Old 11-23-2012, 03:50 PM
babbah
Melting Slicks
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 102 Likes on 96 Posts

What switch did you purchase and from where? What color is the switch assembly plastic? Is it red or orange color?
Old 11-23-2012, 07:32 PM
darrahc
Instructor

Originally Posted by babbah
What switch did you purchase and from where? What color is the switch assembly plastic? Is it red or orange color?
I bought it from Corvette Central and it's this one...

Get notified of new replies

To New Signal Switch and Now Horn Doesn't Stop

Quick Reply: New Signal Switch and Now Horn Doesn't Stop