C1 & C2 Corvettes General C1 Corvette & C2 Corvette Discussion, Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Project Builds, Restorations

'66 gm exhaust pipes

Old 11-23-2012, 09:54 AM
socal66
Navigator

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default '66 gm exhaust pipes

The exhaust pipes(not the mufflers)are stamped with a GM part#, however the secondary pipe is made to clamp onto the mufflers. Since original pipes were welded to the mufflers, I assume the pipes on my car, although stamped with the GM part# are over the counter pipes. I'm asking because I was planning on putting on a new, aluminized exhaust pipe system but didn't want to remove my pipes if they are original and as such, add value to the car. I'm thinking that although stamped with Gm part#'s, if they aren't "assembly line correct", they really don't add any value. My car is a survivor type, all original except the top and one repaint. Any thoughts....

Thanks...
Old 11-23-2012, 10:21 AM
Nowhere Man
Team Owner

Received 6,928 Likes on 4,774 Posts
2015 C2 of Year Finalist

what are the shape of the pipes?
Old 11-23-2012, 01:57 PM
socal66
Navigator

They are in nice condition. The part#'s do not match those in the assembly manual, and as I said, the secondary pipe is shaped to clamp on to the muffler as opposed to the original pipes being welded directly to the mufflers...so....I'm not sure they are any more "correct" for my car than a new set of reproduction pipes with secondary pipes welded to the mufflers....
Old 11-23-2012, 02:08 PM
Nowhere Man
Team Owner

Received 6,928 Likes on 4,774 Posts
2015 C2 of Year Finalist

I was trying to see if they are a round tubes or shaped like a "D".
Old 11-23-2012, 04:38 PM
JohnZ
Team Owner

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,856 Likes on 1,099 Posts

Originally Posted by socal66
They are in nice condition. The part#'s do not match those in the assembly manual, and as I said, the secondary pipe is shaped to clamp on to the muffler as opposed to the original pipes being welded directly to the mufflers...so....I'm not sure they are any more "correct" for my car than a new set of reproduction pipes with secondary pipes welded to the mufflers....
Those are original GM replacement pipes, and the GM replacement mufflers had a curved inlet pipe to match at the clamp joint (the only exception was the N-11 off-road system, which was furnished for Service as a welded assembly, just like the production-line system).

A reproduction system (welded to the muffler inlets) will judge better, but there are only ten points (out of 4500) allocated to the pipes and mufflers, so the deductions are minor.
Old 11-23-2012, 08:05 PM
socal66
Navigator

Thanks for the reply....guess these don't really contribute to the originality of my car, so I might as well get an aluminized, system with the secondary pipes welded to the mufflers.

Get notified of new replies

To '66 gm exhaust pipes

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: '66 gm exhaust pipes