C1 & C2 Corvettes General C1 Corvette & C2 Corvette Discussion, Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Project Builds, Restorations

fender to door question

Search this Thread

Old 11-19-2012, 01:50 PM
64poorvette
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default fender to door question

On my 65 coupe ,the fender runs straight into the door , on the 64 that i just bought both fenders roll down into the door . Hope this makes sense.

In other words if you put a straight edge on the fender and door at the same time, there is space under the straight edge. The fender has a slight roll to it and then meets the door . Gaps are good , no sign of body work. Makes me wonder if the 65 is supposed to have this kind of roll to the door. Any comments ?
Old 11-19-2012, 02:06 PM
wombvette
Le Mans Master

Received 24 Likes on 23 Posts

Lots of variations in the production line. It should be the same, but it seldom is.
Old 11-19-2012, 03:31 PM
65GGvert
Team Owner

Received 3,220 Likes on 2,302 Posts

Are you talking about at the "crease" or in the "valley" between?
I think it should be the same if I'm understanding the question.

Old 11-19-2012, 03:58 PM
Ironcross
Race Director

Received 40 Likes on 36 Posts

Originally Posted by 65GGvert
Are you talking about at the "crease" or in the "valley" between?
I think it should be the same if I'm understanding the question.

nice gaps and fit, looks factory to me.......
Old 11-19-2012, 06:04 PM
64poorvette
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

talking about where the doors meet the front fender. Not the gap . The fenders on this car have just a slight roll where they meet the fenders. The car is original , paint body etc although it needs paint. Imagine that your block sanding the fender and youre getting close to the door . The sanding block should glide right over the door with the fender , same contour , same level. However this one would not because the fender has a slight roll to the door. Its like there is a slight flare to the fender .

The other car is all original except for paint but it doesnt roll into the fender . Its all level. Its not that big of a deal but it does have me curious.
Old 11-20-2012, 01:20 AM
65GGvert
Team Owner

Received 3,220 Likes on 2,302 Posts

Originally Posted by 64poorvette
talking about where the doors meet the front fender. Not the gap . The fenders on this car have just a slight roll where they meet the fenders. The car is original , paint body etc although it needs paint. Imagine that your block sanding the fender and youre getting close to the door . The sanding block should glide right over the door with the fender , same contour , same level. However this one would not because the fender has a slight roll to the door. Its like there is a slight flare to the fender .

The other car is all original except for paint but it doesnt roll into the fender . Its all level. Its not that big of a deal but it does have me curious.
Got any pictures to show what you are describing? Where what part of the fender meets the fender?
Old 11-20-2012, 01:57 AM
wombvette
Le Mans Master

Received 24 Likes on 23 Posts

These bodies were pretty much hand built using very imprecise methods. If the panels were not on the same level they just shaped them to the adjoining panel. Very common and actually hard to find one that doesn't have some shaping up done somewhere. The lower part of the doors hardly ever fit.
Old 11-20-2012, 08:12 AM
DansYellow66
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 2,620 Likes on 1,952 Posts

Originally Posted by wombvette
These bodies were pretty much hand built using very imprecise methods. The lower part of the doors hardly ever fit.
I'll second that.

Get notified of new replies

To fender to door question

Quick Reply: fender to door question