C1 & C2 Corvettes General C1 Corvette & C2 Corvette Discussion, Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Project Builds, Restorations

Will Restomods be frowned upon someday?

Search this Thread

Old 11-28-2012, 10:43 AM
needforspeed150
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default good thread

Originally Posted by 00fxd
Lots of great input here ... One thing to consider is constant change in technology today. Not so long ago tuned port engines were the cats meow - now I wouldn't own one. And the pro street deals. The key I think is when you mod 'em is don't cut 'em [much].
On my '63 coupe it started out that I wanted to get a modern style master cyl. on the old girl so she, I or both didn't die. Well it went from that to pulling the body and doing a complete rebuild of the frame components. Along with this was adding a set of 4 wheel discs to add to the stopping power. Other than one hole for the parking brake no real cutting or anything that cant be taken back to original.. I have all the original parts marked for the car and in boxes. I love it that everything just bolted right on. To put the brakes on had to have a set of american racing 17inch wheels built with special backspace. I don't know if it would be called a Restomod or not as the body is stock and nothing hurt permanently. What do would you guys call what I did?
Ben Russell
Old 11-28-2012, 10:53 AM
MiguelsC2
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 13 Likes on 13 Posts
St. Jude Donor '10-'12-'13

Originally Posted by needforspeed150
On my '63 coupe it started out that I wanted to get a modern style master cyl. on the old girl so she, I or both didn't die. Well it went from that to pulling the body and doing a complete rebuild of the frame components. Along with this was adding a set of 4 wheel discs to add to the stopping power. Other than one hole for the parking brake no real cutting or anything that cant be taken back to original.. I have all the original parts marked for the car and in boxes. I love it that everything just bolted right on. To put the brakes on had to have a set of american racing 17inch wheels built with special backspace. I don't know if it would be called a Restomod or not as the body is stock and nothing hurt permanently. What do would you guys call what I did?
Ben Russell
I have the factory 4 wheel discs installed with AR TT2s. Didn't have to cut any new holes. Used the 63 parking brake system.

I would call it a slightly modified original design.
Old 11-28-2012, 02:15 PM
ChattanoogaJSB
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 875 Likes on 538 Posts

I tend to go for original bodies and interiors, and upgraded mechanicals are fantastic. I love to see Jeff and Poorhousenext using their cars (and others).

I also love a restoration.

Seems to me the market has plenty of correctly restored cars and is net adding new ones every year. Very few restomods are being built from unmolested originals, so what's the harm in seeing some former scrap turned back into a rolling interpretation of the breed?

There is no shortage of supply of cars in respect to demand, to fit all tastes.
Old 11-28-2012, 03:39 PM
builder
Burning Brakes

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

After fixing up an old car, I seem disappointed in he way it drives because I want to drive it all the time. The problem is that I am getting older and I enjoy the comforts of modern cars. I do appreciate the feel of the older cars and try to enjoy and absorb that. I think I would rather have an old original for fun to really feel the way it was built and just buy a new Buick or something that has all the modern bells and whistles and comfort.
That original feel is part of the excitement.

Last edited by builder; 11-29-2012 at 11:52 AM.
Old 11-28-2012, 11:09 PM
robert miller
Team Owner

Received 1,762 Likes on 1,529 Posts

Originally Posted by LoneStarV
I have looked at both resto mod and original Vettes. Both have their merits and draw different types of buyers. A well done resto mod seems to be made to be driven. A well restored or original Vette is a 2 edged sword. If it's done to a driver level it's driven. The picture perfect NCRS Vettes tend to be garage queen show cars.

That resto mod vert Mike Colleta is making for Dan is a thing of beauty made to be driven. Value like beauty is in the eye of the beholder.
Most of all remods today, look more like something a person would go out and buy from a dealer are a rod shop.
In the past had a-lot of people on BAD DRUGS.
Old 11-29-2012, 03:07 AM
70mph@2200rpm
Pro
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by robert miller
Most of all remods today, look more like something a person would go out and buy from a dealer are a rod shop.
In the past had a-lot of people on BAD DRUGS.
Funny, but rings true. i know i stopped using.
Old 11-29-2012, 07:30 AM
Frankie the Fink
Team Owner

Received 7,084 Likes on 4,737 Posts
Army

Originally Posted by ChattanoogaJSB
There is no shortage of supply of cars in respect to demand, to fit all tastes.
Not entirely true. When the ridiculous Eleanor craze hit a few years back there were serious concerns that the number of 'clones' being cranked out would wipe out the supply of original '67/'68 fastback Mustangs. Fortunately the disease abated some recently.

I love Mike's restomods and his ingenuity in building them is becoming legendary...but I do like the fact that there aren't a ton of mostly original C1s being driven regularly. Its always nice when I raise the hood and a crowd gathers 'round and I hear the whispers. "Man - he still runs an old generator", "Dude - check out the dual quads!", "Hey - whats that chrome shield on the back of the motor?"

Don't get me wrong I also keep an eye out for a base C1 as a foundation for a restmod. I'll be prowling around Kissimmee in January looking for a likely candidate.

Last edited by Frankie the Fink; 11-29-2012 at 07:33 AM.
Old 11-29-2012, 11:33 AM
kwkenuf
Burning Brakes

Received 10 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by Frankie the Fink
Don't get me wrong I also keep an eye out for a base C1 as a foundation for a restmod. I'll be prowling around Kissimmee in January looking for a likely candidate.
I figured as much Frankie. Either that or your approach to functional mods on your present car was going to have to take a detour to accommodate your (not so) secret desire for a restomod. The best solution, 2 cars! (or more)
Old 11-29-2012, 11:55 AM
MiguelsC2
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

I was at the intersection of Westpark and Weslayan on Monday and saw a Bright yellow C1 full resto mod,frame,wheels etc..being transported on a flatbed wrecker.

Bet is was a Forum members.
Old 11-29-2012, 12:27 PM
62Jeff
Tech Contributor
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 48 Likes on 38 Posts

Originally Posted by MiguelsC2
I was at the intersection of Westpark and Weslayan on Monday and saw a Bright yellow C1 full resto mod,frame,wheels etc..being transported on a flatbed wrecker.

Bet is was a Forum members.
I've seen a yellow 58 restomod at cars and coffee, perhaps it was that one. Miguel if you haven't been to cars and coffee, I urge you to come check it out.
Old 11-29-2012, 12:49 PM
MiguelsC2
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Originally Posted by 62Jeff
I've seen a yellow 58 restomod at cars and coffee, perhaps it was that one. Miguel if you haven't been to cars and coffee, I urge you to come check it out.
I know you are right. I just can't rise that early,especially since they moved it out of my neighborhood.

Old 11-29-2012, 01:15 PM
62Jeff
Tech Contributor
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 48 Likes on 38 Posts

Originally Posted by MiguelsC2
I know you are right. I just can't rise that early,especially since they moved it out of my neighborhood.

I know what you mean, I have to leave my house in Clear Lake at 6am in order to get a good parking spot, by 7am.
Old 11-29-2012, 01:16 PM
1955 copper
Safety Car

Received 208 Likes on 150 Posts
2015 C1 of Year

Originally Posted by Poorhousenext
For me it doesn't matter if Restomods hold their value down the road or not. At my age the road will probably not be that long, and the fun in owning one is being able to drive it and not just have it sit in a garage like most stock restored ones do, as the owner keeps hoping they will appreciate more in the rest of their lifetime. If a restored car is driven it will depreciate due to wear and tear to it doing so.

Most people don't understand that my 64 is not a Custom Car, but a Stylized Car instead. It has been driven a little over 2000 miles since last November and has been driven in the rain 5 times.

I'm proud to show the chipped paint on air dam/spoiler and tell people it's been driven in the rain. Seems they love to hear that and see the evidence that it was built to be driven not to be a show car. People need to remember that fun is in the moment, not in the future.

If you call FUN hoping your Corvette, Stock, Restomoded, customized or what ever will appreciate in the future I truly feel sorry for you.
That is the best statement of how I feel I ever read , I restored my 55 100% original 30 years ago to be driven and used just for me , not for or why anyone els. And I think it still looks great.

Old 11-29-2012, 02:55 PM
biggd
Melting Slicks

Received 349 Likes on 212 Posts

Long live the drivers. That's what this hobby is all about.
Old 11-29-2012, 04:19 PM
XLR8OR
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default Resto Mods vs Restorations

If they are built right and retain their "classic styling with state of the art performance" - Resto Mods are the right choice for a long time to come. You really want to drive your Corvette??? How do you argue with these results???

Old 11-29-2012, 04:25 PM
Frankie the Fink
Team Owner

Received 7,084 Likes on 4,737 Posts
Army

Originally Posted by 1955 copper
That is the best statement of how I feel I ever read , I restored my 55 100% original 30 years ago to be driven and used just for me , not for or why anyone els. And I think it still looks great.
I've said it before Roy - your car will trump whatever you park beside -- original or 'blinged out'
Old 11-29-2012, 04:38 PM
wmf62
Race Director

Received 727 Likes on 621 Posts
St. Jude Donor '07

my C1-1/2 is mine, and only mine.... as Poorhousenext said, i've enjoyed every nick, scratch and chip; and i accumulated a LOT of them on my trip this summer.
Bill

Get notified of new replies

To Will Restomods be frowned upon someday?

Old 11-29-2012, 10:05 PM
Poorhousenext
Melting Slicks

Received 644 Likes on 331 Posts

A lot of post I'm reading here leads me to believe that their are a lot of members that are really not car guys, just Corvette guys.

There seems to be a total lack of knowledge of Street Rodding over the years. No one looks down on them, and as one members stated he's building a look alike Retro Rod.

Some of you might be shocked by all the new Hot Rods with new Flat Head engines being offered in them, decked out to look like Flat Heads of Hot Rods built back in the late 40s-50s. There are also people paying big bucks for original 40s-50s Hot Rods as they have come back into vogue.

Again, enjoy the moment as much as you can.

If you want to worry about something, worry about the high dollar furniture you bought to go in your house an if it will appreciate in your lifetime. I can tell you the cheap used furniture I purchased early on because of prices of new furniture 40 years ago has... My heirs can sell it for more than pennies on the dollar or keep it and hope it keeps appreciating...

PS: As of this afternoon anyone seeing my 64 in January at a couple of local shows and maybe even through March at show or two want see any Rock Chips on Spoiler.

Pulled it off due to having to fix problem that require bumpers to be removed, so it will be repainted when we fix drivers door that was damaged. Might as well do it since we will be spraying paint any way.

Last edited by Poorhousenext; 11-29-2012 at 10:08 PM.
Old 11-29-2012, 10:19 PM
Larry P
Burning Brakes

Received 46 Likes on 31 Posts

I think it's pretty simple. A restomod is a vehicle that has been restored to represent the car visually and modified with available advanced performance inhancements.
Cool factor wild card allowance for wheels and tires.
Old 11-30-2012, 12:31 AM
uxojerry
Burning Brakes
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

I think PoorHouse has it 100% right. You can now buy an all aluminum 409W that is a recreation and is actually 509ci. As modern cars get more and more sophisticated and more expensive, people are looking at driving custom vehicles. It is no different than people choosing to build a custom house over buying a cookie cutter built home.

A resto-mod or custom car can be updated just like a person remodeling a home. My cars are going to be daily drivers. If I ever sell them, it may be wise for me to update them to maximize resale value, much as I would do with my home.

There are lots of books detailing home remodeling and how to maximize returns. One day people may be looking at resto-mods or custom cars in the same fashion. 5yrs ago, there were 5-6 shows on TV about home remodeling or investment. There are now 3 or 4 shows with the same theme using cars instead of houses. This may be a market indicator for the future. OR - this could be a new symptom of my Corvette Compulsive Disorder, lol.

Quick Reply: Will Restomods be frowned upon someday?