C1 & C2 Corvettes General C1 Corvette & C2 Corvette Discussion, Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Project Builds, Restorations

Will Restomods be frowned upon someday?

Search this Thread

Old 11-16-2012, 08:54 PM
colo63sw
Safety Car

Received 88 Likes on 72 Posts

Lou I agree with you to a point. My 63 is all original, and to DRIVE the car is a joy. But to drive it much –as in daily- it could use modern improvements, and the best way to get that drivability is to restomod. I would hope that original would always bring top price, but if resto mods start winning it could be a repeat of the 70’s when everyone was customizing C2’s.
In the last 2 decades so many C2s have been restored to original that it has become boring to look at a C2 (OMG).
I am all for taking the evolution of the C2 to the next step where it is made more drivable by modern standards, but as someone else has noted, the cost of doing that is about the same as a great restored car.
Old 11-16-2012, 11:20 PM
mike16
Racer

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I would correct whats wrong befor I resto mod it.
Old 11-17-2012, 09:14 AM
dcaggiani
Burning Brakes

Received 151 Likes on 84 Posts

Frown on this.....

Yes - a Restomod!!
Old 11-17-2012, 09:48 AM
tjschraf
Pro

Received 27 Likes on 20 Posts

First off, I was not alive in the 80s but I imagine that people did things like replace their engines with engine from the 80s for reliability, fuel, etc. Now a days cant imagine those bringing in high money. I assume the same will happen to restomods of today in the future. Because the components of it will be outdated to the modern day specs.
Old 11-17-2012, 11:35 AM
Poorhousenext
Melting Slicks

Received 644 Likes on 331 Posts

Originally Posted by tjschraf
First off, I was not alive in the 80s but I imagine that people did things like replace their engines with engine from the 80s for reliability, fuel, etc. Now a days cant imagine those bringing in high money. I assume the same will happen to restomods of today in the future. Because the components of it will be outdated to the modern day specs.
My turn to Rant

It surprises me that people think as technology in engines, transmissions, etc changes that people can't or want upgrade to them later on. I see Street Rodders and others upgrading engines, transmissions, brakes, suspension, etc all the time.

In a few years if I drive my Restomods at all they will need a face lift. If you guys that leave yours stock drive them they will need, or need now a face lift too.

I'd just like to see a lot more stock Corvette owners show up at non Corvette only shows.

I can't believe all the C4, C5, C6 owners that want drive them in the rain. How much can never been driven in the rain make to price you will be able to get in your life time.

Never seen so many people afraid to enjoy their toys or their so called investments.... How many times will your friends want to go out to your garage and look at your Vette just sitting there or lsiten to you brag about owning one? Same as a lot of HD owners I know. They just seem to be status symbols only!!!

Got to give Jeff Cleary [1coolc2] credit for what he's doing and will be doing with his Restomods. He's enjoying the moment(s) that will last for his life time. Maybe some of you and me should try enjoying our cars more too.

By the way, I think way too many of you don't have a clue about NCRS members thoughts on Restomoding Corvettes. I for sure didn't until I took my 64 to Bloomington this year and listen to them comment on it and also find that a lot of them want to Restomod one or even had a Restomod because they could get out and drive it where as they couldn't with their Flight or Gold one(s).

My 64 is a Restomod with only the front end headlight and grill area that is factory stock. All the other body panels have been modified in some way including the top panel. Yet they called the car beautiful and stunning.

How many of you have ever heard your stock C2 called beautiful or stunning multiple times anywhere, much less have it been said by NCRS members? That was a moment that will live with me for the rest of my lifetime.

Ok I'm thru for now, but don't get be started again or I might say what I really think...

Last edited by Poorhousenext; 11-17-2012 at 11:39 AM.
Old 11-17-2012, 11:54 AM
LoneStarV
Burning Brakes

283 was a push rod engine. 327 396 427 350.....all push rod GM V8 engines. So is the LS family. So 50 years deep to the LS family it's just a better made more powerful more reliable start up with the push of a button same ol same ol. The restomod Vette's may not be for the purists that participate in judging but they make for a beautiful clean easy to maintain and more drivable Vette. Value? Resale? Cars aren't an investment to me. Go to the financial markets for that imo. A 1967 small block Vette sold new for 4k to 5k. Now they can be had for 50k. 10 times your money. Any idea what 5k put to work and reinvested in the stock market starting in 1967 would be now? Build em the way ya want em and DRIVE them.
Old 11-17-2012, 01:14 PM
70mph@2200rpm
Pro
Support Corvetteforum!

Originally Posted by tjschraf
Probably true. Eventually electric, or fusion, or whatever will be the next frontier. But that's not stopping those of us that want the experience of working on and driving these modified creations. You purchase a new car and you know how fast it depreciates. Not everything should be measured in terms of profitability.
Old 11-17-2012, 01:37 PM
cv67
Team Owner

Received 3,043 Likes on 2,602 Posts
St. Jude Donor '05

Never driven in rain......sheesh were they ever washed with water then?

The hOrror!!!
Old 11-17-2012, 05:07 PM
GreaseMonkey
Le Mans Master

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
PA Events Coordinator

My goal in life is to "dummy up" my vettes as much as possible. I work with computers every freaking day to take care of my family. I don't want to have to deal with tem with my toys. My '93 ZR-1 for example... The car thought for a long time that some one was trying to steal it Went into shut down mode. Turned out to be a door courtesy light switch.

I HATE the computers in cars. Chrust, I do believe there are 8 in the Z.

I'm ready to dump it for something else....
Old 11-17-2012, 05:25 PM
abdo
Drifting

Received 33 Likes on 21 Posts
2017 Corvette of the Year Finalist
2016 C1 of Year Finalist

It was interesting to read these posts. I have owned two C1's since 1988 and 1993 respectively. Both are original and I intend to keep them that way. Sure they are sometimes troublesome and lack the features that modern cars and restomods have. I appreciate a well done restomod and the effort and creativity that goes into it. If done well, it should sell for a fair price that reflects the work and material that went into it.
Over the years, I have witnessed the trend away from originals and toward restomods. Even on TV shows such as "My Classic Car" and "Car Crazy" you will see more attention to restomods and exotic customs than to a well restored original. I don't care. I still like my original '57 and '61 and enjoy driving and working on them even with their quirks.
As others have mentioned, when it comes to eventually selling, the questions is: Are all potential buyers of a restomod going to like the particular tastes of the seller?
Old 11-24-2012, 04:12 PM
biggd
Melting Slicks

Received 347 Likes on 211 Posts

Default Mixed emotions

At 58 I had my share of Corvettes. I love them all, the originals, the customs, the pro streets, and the resto mods. There are the rare equiped models that deserve to be restored and preserved but the true fun is in driving them. If you're not going to drive it then you're just a collector and preserver.
Old 11-24-2012, 04:34 PM
dplotkin
Safety Car
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 2,128 Likes on 1,028 Posts
2023 C2 of the Year Finalist - Unmodified
2019 C2 of Year Finalist (stock)
2015 C2 of the Year Finalist

Originally Posted by Chicago Pete
I wonder if the Restomods will receive the same criticism in the future?
In the future we will all be dead. Do what you want with what you have. opinions are just like ****-holes, everyone has one, and they all stink.

Dan
Old 11-24-2012, 07:03 PM
KC John
Melting Slicks

Received 134 Likes on 95 Posts
C2 of Year Finalist (appearance mods) 2019

It's not always true, but you can look backwards to see how things might be in the future.

As just an example, how many '32 Fords or model "T's" do you see on the road in stock condition? I'm guessing few if any. The reason being they aren't any fun compared to something that steers and goes better.

All that old technology has been brought into the future with newer engines, brakes etc. The same thing will happen to our cars. There will be a few that are kept in collections, driven in parades or brought to the Concours. All the others will be modified so that newer generations will enjoy driving them.

People with original cars will have smaller and smaller audiences when they go to sell as time goes by. The real special ones will be worth more because there will be a lot fewer of them left. But I think most will be worth less because they will be undesirable to younger people. Resto-mods will be at least part of the way to being what people are looking for in the future, so I think they will bring more money.
Old 11-25-2012, 09:00 AM
65LS6C4
Racer

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I appreciate both. I have restored a number of cars back to original, down to the grease pencil markings... I have had new vettes from a variety of years as well and like the improvements that have been made with each transition. Currently, I am more interested in the resto-mod given the nostalgic look and the predictability and comfort that is closer to the new vehicles. But resto-mod or not, my intent has always been to enjoy them and drive them.
Old 11-25-2012, 10:02 AM
DZAUTO
Race Director

Received 3,766 Likes on 1,669 Posts
2023 C1 of the Year Finalist - Modified
2015 C1 of the Year Finalist

Originally Posted by AZDoug
Didn't you mean to say "lack of style over substance"?

Doug
Rat rod?
Does this qualify? It's my VERY FIRST car (bought it in 62 from Granddad), fresh 383, Muncie, 3.08 posi, COLD R12 and a trailer hitch. I literally drive it almost daily. Pure, real rust (NOT fake paint)------------and it's a kique@zz street car.

Tom Parsons

Last edited by DZAUTO; 11-25-2012 at 10:13 AM.
Old 11-25-2012, 10:32 AM
jb_va2001
Melting Slicks

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
DC Area Events Coordinator

Don't damn all restomods because most look awful.

Agreed, most restomods being sold look like school boy doodles and cheesy kit cars, that's one reason why buyers pay a premium for early Corvettes in near original condition or restored to it. But I've seen some tasteful restomod work that was much better than 60s-70s-80s factory new. They have gorgeous C2 & C3 styling but also modern Corvette performance & suspension, fuel efficiency, creature comforts (AC, audio...) and quality interior details you'd expect from a fine sports car today.

Cheers,
JB
Old 11-25-2012, 10:34 AM
Frankie the Fink
Team Owner

Received 7,082 Likes on 4,736 Posts
Army

I think restmods are the wave of the future for the younger set that wants the timeless styling of the old cars but modern amenities. Really, do you think some 30/40-something yuppie is gonna have 24 fittings greased on an original C1 every few thousand miles ? Or put up with finicky carburetors ? Or wrestle with manual steering ? Or wait for vacuum tubes to warm up to listen to AM radio broadcasts ?

Not bloody likely...

Get notified of new replies

To Will Restomods be frowned upon someday?

Old 11-25-2012, 10:47 AM
mikeb242
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Restomods will always have there place in the automotive world, the designs may change some but there will always be a demand for old cars that drive and perform like modern ones. Kind of best of both worlds. I like them better myself, but that is my choice.
Old 11-25-2012, 11:07 AM
DZAUTO
Race Director

I suppose restomods are OK if done tastefully and "right".
I personally prefer the stock appearance with upgrades rather than modifications (but is an upgrade a modification???).
For example, replacing a puny 283 with a 350-383-400 or a 396 with a 454 or 496, replacing a 3sp or PG with a 4-5-6sp, replacing an open rear with a posi, adding air cond, cruise control, disc brakes without changing the original suspension, etc, etc, etc. But NOT changing the body lines/panels, not chopping up the chassis to add later suspension components because they are not a direct bolt-on.

I've upgraded the 56 with all bolt-on Chevy/Corvette parts (except the cruise), so it retains a more or less pure stock appearance. Same with the 70 Chevelle conv. Overall, I just think it's hard to beat the stock appearance/stance of a true classic car------------------not old,
classic, there is a difference (I don't think a 49 Plymouth or a 63 Mercury qualifies as a classic).

Tom Parsons

Last edited by DZAUTO; 11-25-2012 at 11:10 AM.
Old 11-25-2012, 11:17 AM
DZAUTO
Race Director

I'm NOT a fan of late model Vettes----------------if for no other reason, just because of all the computer crap!
BUUUUUUUT, I'd own one of these, I REALLY like this!

Tom Parsons

Last edited by DZAUTO; 11-25-2012 at 11:21 AM.

Quick Reply: Will Restomods be frowned upon someday?