C1 & C2 Corvettes General C1 Corvette & C2 Corvette Discussion, Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Project Builds, Restorations

The dreaded battery drain

Old 11-03-2012, 05:38 PM
cmefly
2nd Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default The dreaded battery drain

This is my first post, I am really looking for some help on this. working on a 1959 that will drain a fully charged battery overnight. Car is all stock with no aftermarket devices. I removed the negative battery cable and used my test light between the cable and battery post and the light is on. I disconnected the clock and every fuse in the panel and it stays on. I have constant power to the voltage regulator so i removed the red power wire but the light stayed on. Any help would be much appreciated. I am helping a friend with her car It has been sitting for 20 Years in a heated garage, I have changed all the fluids, New brakes and rubber lines replaced the king pins and tie rods and just finished setting the alignment today and buffed the paint. car runs, drives, stops and looks great. I did install a battery disconect but would like to actually fix this. Thanks, Mike
Old 11-03-2012, 11:34 PM
mike16
Racer

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

do you have an under hood light in the engine compartment? I had one in a 66 and it drained my battery every night and I could not figure it out until one night I went through the garage and noticed a light on under the hood. it was that.

Another quick check that might help you or others is to remove all the fuses and then install then remove each fuse one at a time. if while your installing or removing a fuse, you get a slight or small arc or sparking, the electrical system associated with that fuse should be checked out.

also take a close look at your voltage regulator and generator. if you live near a competent rebuilder, have them check thier function.

the service manual is very helpful in diagnosing VR problems. but if you plug in Delco remy books into ebay you often come up with training literature that is much more explicit and detailed about diagnosis, testing and troubleshooting.
Old 11-03-2012, 11:51 PM
cmefly
2nd Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by mike16
do you have an under hood light in the engine compartment? I had one in a 66 and it drained my battery every night and I could not figure it out until one night I went through the garage and noticed a light on under the hood. it was that.

Another quick check that might help you or others is to remove all the fuses and then install then remove each fuse one at a time. if while your installing or removing a fuse, you get a slight or small arc or sparking, the electrical system associated with that fuse should be checked out.

also take a close look at your voltage regulator and generator. if you live near a competent rebuilder, have them check thier function.

the service manual is very helpful in diagnosing VR problems. but if you plug in Delco remy books into ebay you often come up with training literature that is much more explicit and detailed about diagnosis, testing and troubleshooting.
No underhood light. I removed all the fuses but my test light stayed on. i removed the power wire from the regulator but my test light stayed on.
Old 11-04-2012, 12:08 AM
vetsvette2002
Melting Slicks

Received 287 Likes on 162 Posts
St. Jude Donor '13-'14-'15-'16

Originally Posted by cmefly
No underhood light. I removed all the fuses but my test light stayed on. i removed the power wire from the regulator but my test light stayed on.
try the test with the generator disconnected.
Old 11-04-2012, 12:23 AM
KC John
Melting Slicks

Received 134 Likes on 95 Posts
C2 of Year Finalist (appearance mods) 2019

I know that bad diodes in an alternator will kill a battery overnight, but I don't know if generators have diodes. If so, disconnect your generator and see if the light goes out.
Old 11-04-2012, 04:19 AM
mike16
Racer

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

no diodes in a generator. Its not clear to me how you are using the test light,

but that does not mean you got it wrong

after everything is disconnected does your VR or generator feel warm?
Old 11-04-2012, 05:05 AM
MikeM
Team Owner

Received 1,843 Likes on 1,398 Posts

When you turn the ignition switch off, are you mistakenly turning it to ACC instead of OFF?
Old 11-04-2012, 06:48 AM
vwtdi
Pro

Received 87 Likes on 64 Posts

Mine was the glovebox light.
Old 11-04-2012, 07:06 AM
Frankie the Fink
Team Owner

Received 7,082 Likes on 4,736 Posts
Army

What the hey ?

The guy has done all the things (as stated in the first post) that are subsequently suggested for troubleshooting. And I don't think there is an ACC position on a '59 original ignition switch (I wish C1s did have them). There are no underhood or glove box lights on these cars either.

I would (once again) remove ALL of the fuses in the fuse box...if you still have current draw then I would disconnect the lead from the battery to the back of the ammeter. 98% of the car's circuitry goes through that lead. Do this VERY carefully with the battery disconnected before removing the wire from the ammeter and wrap the end completely with electrical tape for the test. This wire carries FULL battery current.

THEN if the light goes out we can start isolating individual circuits off of that. If it doesn't then I think your car is haunted.
Old 11-04-2012, 09:22 AM
rich5962
Safety Car

Received 559 Likes on 333 Posts

With all fuses removed, the following circuits are still powered. All are Red wires of various wire gauge sizes.

-Voltage Regulator Feed
-Clock
-Cig Lighter
-Headlight Switch
-Horn Relay
-Ignition Switch Feed

As Frank said, if you remove the Black feed to the Ammeter, that is main power feed to everything. A high resistance short in the ammeter could be possible.

You already isolated the regulator and clock. The generator is out of the circuit once the red wire is removed from the regulator.

Some other ideas.....

Do the horns work? If disconnected or dead, make sure the horn relay is not stuck on.

With Ign off, check to make sure the Brown ignition wire is 0 volts. It can be tested at the ballast resistor, or at the back of the switch.

There are 2 pink wires at the Ign switch. One feeds the fuel/temp gauges. The other feeds the directional flasher. Test they are off with the key off. Check at the back of the switch.

Remove the harness plug on the light switch to isolate those circuits and the switch. Easier to pull the switch down to do that. Pull the **** out fully, then press the spring button under the switch to remove the ****. Then unscrew the round nut to remove the switch.

The main harness could have a problem also. Isolating as many circuits as possible will help determine if it's the problem.

This is all assuming your battery is holding a charge and not defective.

Get notified of new replies

To The dreaded battery drain

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: The dreaded battery drain