C1 & C2 Corvettes General C1 Corvette & C2 Corvette Discussion, Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Project Builds, Restorations

C1 Distributor tach output question

Old 10-20-2012, 05:15 PM
ruby62fuelie
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default C1 Distributor tach output question

I have a C1 distributor (dual point) #1110914, correct for 58-60 290 hp & 61 315 hp engines. I have it installed in a 62 Fuelie and on the side where the tach cable is suppose to hookup, the female connection inside the tach outlet is larger than normal, shaped like a C with a small slot in it, obviously the stock tach cable doesn't fit inside the tach drive correctly! Is it possible that someone has switch the original female end out on the tach or did the earlier model vettes use a different cable that the 62 fuelie used? Any help would be appreciated, thanks
Old 10-20-2012, 07:14 PM
DZAUTO
Race Director

Received 3,766 Likes on 1,669 Posts
2023 C1 of the Year Finalist - Modified
2015 C1 of the Year Finalist

Up through 1960, the hole in the tach drive end of the cross shaft was round with a slot. In 61, it changed to the "normal" squared shaft hole. Replacement cables are available with the 57-60 style end for the tach drive. BUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUT, for ease of simplification--------------------------WHICH WILL NOT BE CORRECT--------------, IF you are familiar with tearing down a dist (all that has to be done is remove the cross shaft), I personally prefer to swap out the cross shaft with a slot for the later style cross shaft with a square hole (replacement cross shafts are available---------------but not very cheap). Otherwise, if that is not suitable for you, then your choice is to get a new cable with the tabbed fitting on the dist end of the cable. The OTHER end (tachometer end) will have the regular squared end.

Tom Parsons
Old 10-20-2012, 08:12 PM
ruby62fuelie
Instructor

Default Distributor/tach issues

Tom;
Thanks for the information, I'll probably tear the distributor down and install the proper shaft, etc.. Thanks again, have a great weekend! Roy
Old 10-21-2012, 09:11 AM
DZAUTO
Race Director

Received 3,766 Likes on 1,669 Posts
2023 C1 of the Year Finalist - Modified
2015 C1 of the Year Finalist

Originally Posted by ruby62fuelie
Tom;
Thanks for the information, I'll probably tear the distributor down and install the proper shaft, etc.. Thanks again, have a great weekend! Roy
Roy,
I may have confused you. The shaft that is in your distributor now is NOT necessarily a "wrong" shaft. If your distributor came from a 60-earlier car, then it does have the correct shaft for the earlier dist.
For me personally, I find that a later style shaft with the square hole makes it easier for replacing a cable if needed.

Tom Parsons
Old 10-21-2012, 11:28 AM
Plasticman
Race Director

Received 525 Likes on 374 Posts

Tom,

Since he has it installed in a 62 Vette, the existing 57-60 version is the "wrong" cross shaft......of course the distributor is "wrong" (as for "numbers") as well, but I am guessing he just wants it to work.

As usual, you are a true source of valuable knowledge & help!

Plasticman
Old 10-21-2012, 12:14 PM
ruby62fuelie
Instructor

Default distributor/tach issues

Tom;
I understood what you meant! Thanks again for your valuable suggestions, very helpful. I have located a correct numbered distributor for the fuelie which I'm working on purchasing, at which time I will probably sell the one I have which is in good working order. Thanks Roy

Get notified of new replies

To C1 Distributor tach output question

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: C1 Distributor tach output question