C1 & C2 Corvettes General C1 Corvette & C2 Corvette Discussion, Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Project Builds, Restorations

Just got notification of assignment to...

Search this Thread

Old 10-14-2012, 07:00 PM
69z28&ss396
Burning Brakes

Received 37 Likes on 29 Posts

Default Moving to LAS VEGAS..

Anybody on this forum live there currently? If so, I would like to talk to you as I have a few questions about places to live, places to avoid, things like that.. If anybody wants to pm me their number and a time to call them i can do that.. Plus you might make a new friend...

Last edited by 69z28&ss396; 10-14-2012 at 07:11 PM.
Old 10-14-2012, 07:32 PM
66jack
Team Owner

Received 832 Likes on 576 Posts

I don't live there but worked there.

What I know and remember is, STAY AWAY FROM "NORTH LAS VEGAS"
Old 10-14-2012, 07:50 PM
69z28&ss396
Burning Brakes

I plan to buy, so I WILL have an alarm.. AND as a back up policy, 2 glock 23's... Depending on the nature of the assault, up to and including an m203 grenade launcher..
Old 10-14-2012, 07:58 PM
1snake
Le Mans Master

Received 652 Likes on 446 Posts

Originally Posted by 69z28&ss396
I plan to buy, so I WILL have an alarm.. AND as a back up policy, 2 glock 23's... Depending on the nature of the assault, up to and including an m203 grenade launcher..
Should be able to get a pretty good deal. LV has the highest rate of foreclosure in the nation. I had 2 friends that just moved from there. They bought several years ago for over $450K and the homes are now valued at less than $200K. They just packed up and walked away.
If you're there before the end of the month, you need to check out the SEMA convention at the LV Convention Center. I go every year.

Jim
Old 10-14-2012, 08:05 PM
69z28&ss396
Burning Brakes

My RNLTD (Report No Later Than Date) is 28 Feb.. I cant leave here until 1 Feb.. I have been perusing and have seen some crazy homes for what seems like little money.. Im going to contact a realtor this week and get the search started...
Old 10-14-2012, 09:26 PM
mike16
Racer

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

and if you are a Veteran check out VA homes that are in forclosure, you can get a screaming deal on excellent homes through the VA. Check with the VA first befor you go with a realtor because even if you go with a VA home , you do NOT need the help of a realtor to close the deal on a VA home. save that middle man cost.
Old 10-14-2012, 10:08 PM
robo427
Heel & Toe

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Do some research.
Old 10-14-2012, 11:12 PM
65LS6C4
Racer

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

My RNLTD (Report No Later Than Date) is 28 Feb.. I cant leave here until 1 Feb.. I have been perusing and have seen some crazy homes for what seems like little money.. Im going to contact a realtor this week and get the search started...
I am not certain I would buy there unless you are going to be there for a while as it may be difficult to sell in the short term and you can probably find many rentals for little money as there are still a lot of homes available out there due to the economy crashing very hard in vegas due to tourism driving most of the employment. While it is much better, it is still a long way off out there.

A few things to watch out for: the vacancy rate of the neighborhood can have a huge impact on your ability to sell in the future as well as your insurance rates - check that closely as it may not be readily apparent, also try to determine which homes are in or pending foreclosure.

Have the home checked for toxic chemicals (meth) as they have had issues with squatters and errant drug labs in unoccupied homes. Also check the mechanicals and mold on a house that has not been occupied.

Regarding areas I like Redrock and Summerlin in the west and down near Henderson in the south. Obviously location depends on what you want to spend. I don't know much about the homes near the base.
Old 10-15-2012, 12:40 PM
kwkenuf
Burning Brakes

Received 10 Likes on 7 Posts

Default Lived here on and off for over 30 years

Retired from AF in 1998, stationed at Nellis 4 times. Ended up staying here after I got out. Area around base is sketchy and it's really a crap shoot as far as the neighborhoods go. Real close to some bad areas. Some nice homes on Sunrise Mtn adjacent to base, but you gotta drive through the low rent district to get there. However, lots of nice homes in the northwest, and the prices are in the cellar at the moment. Centennial Hills is about 25 minutes from base, lots of different neighborhoods and all price ranges. And without the onerous restrictions of living in Summerlin. (Summerlin HOAs can sometimes be tough for a car guy who likes to work on his ride with the garage door open).
With the exception of a short stint in base housing, I've always lived 20-25 minutes from base and never had a problem. Vegas is a strange town though and bad neighborhoods can crop up anywhere it seems. LOTS of vacant property at the moment is complicating things. But it is possible to get one hell of a deal.
There's an area called Alliante on the beltway north of town that is popular with the military but technically it's in North Las Vegas, "north town", and has lots of abandoned properties and out of town land lords (speculators). Take your time and do thorough research, pull crime reports, visit the neighborhood and area shopping centers at night, and talk to prospective neighbors to get a feel for things.

Last edited by kwkenuf; 10-15-2012 at 02:29 PM. Reason: Typo. dept. of redundancy dept.
Old 10-15-2012, 12:56 PM
GCD1962
Race Director

Received 162 Likes on 123 Posts

Not so sure anyone would want to live next to a paranoid
Old 10-15-2012, 06:10 PM
69z28&ss396
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by GCD1962
I worked for what I have, and work for what I want.. Thats the american dream! You work for it, and Ill be damned if im gonna give it up without a fight.. Sorry you may be some anti gun toting liberal, but hey, getting robbed at gun point in charleston SC by a junkie when you were 18 has an impact on what you value.. Have a good one..
Old 10-15-2012, 08:42 PM
Crunch527
Drifting

Received 175 Likes on 111 Posts

I was at Nellis from 02-05...WS Instructor, lived in North Vegas...caught the housing market perfect on my way out.

I would live in Summerlin or Green Valley...NOT North Vegas or even Aliante. Location for real estate is the key. A bud of mine, A-10 driver, just left and was having a difficult time selling his house...he bought a foreclosure a few years ago, got a smokin deal, etc, etc BUT everyone knows Vegas took a HUGE hit on real estate and therefore buyers have the upper hand...tons of inventory...keep that in mind as you WILL leave in a few years. I have buddies there who have bought there recently but still too early to tell how it will go for them.

Cheers,

Crunch
Old 10-16-2012, 12:14 PM
vetsvette2002
Melting Slicks

Received 290 Likes on 163 Posts
St. Jude Donor '13-'14-'15-'16

Originally Posted by GCD1962
Just because you are paranoid does not mean that someone is not out to hurt you.

An armed citizen is a safe citizen. Its our RIGHT.
Old 10-16-2012, 12:38 PM
ifitgoesfast
Team Owner

Received 64 Likes on 49 Posts

Get one of these for North Vegas

Old 10-16-2012, 08:26 PM
NOM61
Pro

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I've lived in Vegas/N.Vegas for the past 36 years.
The glut of housing inventory is gone. The "investment" sub 100k properties are gone. I have a friend who is a real estate agent and has been having great difficulty getting any offer accepted for properties in 100K zone. The days of people making high offers and counting on the appraisal to lower the final price are gone - banks/sellers are just coming back to the buyer and telling them that they have to make up the difference themselves if they want the property.
I bought in one of the last areas in NLV developed at the peak of the market - 215 & Lamb. I am probably the only remaining original owner on my street, and 2 years ago it was a wasteland of empty bank owned properties. Now they've all been bought by investors or young families and none are vacant.
The important thing for you is how much commute are you willing to trade for a better (and more expensive) location?
If you are stationed at Nellis, your best options are the north 215 corridor (Alliante/Centennial Hills) or Sunrise (Hollywood from E. Lake Mead to Charleston). Sunrise is entirely bordered by "bad" neighborhoods (except of course to the east). The further west you go on 215 (or north of 215) the deeper you are into "nice" neighborhoods.
If commute and price weren't factors, everyone would live in Mcdonald Highlands or some other Gucci Green Valley/Summerlin/Spring Valley neighborhood, but reality is a bitch. NLV is just fine as long as you dont wander too far south of the 215.

DT

Get notified of new replies

To Just got notification of assignment to...

Quick Reply: Just got notification of assignment to...