C1 & C2 Corvettes General C1 Corvette & C2 Corvette Discussion, Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Project Builds, Restorations

67 survivor

Search this Thread

Old 10-04-2012, 07:48 PM
dbrown3326
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 67 survivor

Hi,

I live in ct, where would I go to get my coupe survivor judged?

Thanks
Dennis
Old 10-04-2012, 09:37 PM
Hitch
Race Director

Received 164 Likes on 109 Posts

The local Dairy Queen...

Okay not really but there are a lot of NCRS members that live up that way that are active on this forum that can help you out...

David
Old 10-04-2012, 10:01 PM
Nowhere Man
Team Owner

Received 6,980 Likes on 4,800 Posts
2015 C2 of Year Finalist

Not for a surviour NCRS does Bowtie. Two different things. If you want surviour you got to go to Bloomingtion Gold.

I would like to know what you think a surviour/ Bowtie is.
Old 10-04-2012, 10:14 PM
65 fi
Drifting

Received 139 Likes on 83 Posts

Originally Posted by Nowhere Man
Not for a surviour NCRS does Bowtie. Two different things. If you want surviour you got to go to Bloomingtion Gold.

I would like to know what you think a surviour/ Bowtie is.
I just tried looking up the meaning of Surviour and have no idea what it is either.
Survivor, as I understand it, is an original car in an unrestored state.
Old 10-04-2012, 10:19 PM
Nowhere Man
Team Owner

2015 C2 of Year Finalist

Originally Posted by 65 fi
I just tried looking up the meaning of Surviour and have no idea what it is either.
Survivor, as I understand it, is an original car in an unrestored state.
Did you go to Bloomington Golds web sit and see what they classify as surviour That is there term. They judge and award cars for that. NCRS does not. They do Bowtie. I'm not sure how different the rules are. But bottom line figure out what award you want and go after it
Old 10-04-2012, 10:24 PM
Redbird
Safety Car

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 574 Likes on 307 Posts
2021 C2 of the Year Finalist - Unmodified
C2 of Year Finalist (stock) 2019
2016 C2 of Year Finalist

Post a few pictures here first. You will get more than enough comments.
Old 10-05-2012, 08:45 AM
jb_va2001
Melting Slicks

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
DC Area Events Coordinator

I suspect the local judging near you is over for the season. Two NCRS chapters are near you; New England & Long Island, links below. Maybe more. I know some of the NE chapter people, good guys. Membership is a cheap.

Getting an unrestored Corvette judged is a great way to determine what's really original, what was replaced but might look original, and if you should ultimately restore it or preserve it as is.

NCRS has meets all over the USA in season. NCRS judges original unrestored Corvettes, calls it "Bowtie." NCRS is a not-for-profit and operated largely by volunteer enthusiasts. Bloomington Gold is held once a year in IL and has a trademark on the name "Survivor." (Smart move.) Most Bloomington Gold judges are also NCRS judges.

New England Chapter NCRS

Long Island Chapter NCRS

Post some pics.

Cheers,
JB

Last edited by jb_va2001; 10-05-2012 at 03:32 PM.
Old 10-05-2012, 09:30 AM
65hihp
Le Mans Master

Received 3,290 Likes on 1,694 Posts

Dennis
assuming you are asking about NCRS judging, the Northeast Chapter is based in CT. Here is link to their site:
http://necncrs.homestead.com/

I suggest you join the national club now, and also join your local chapter. You will start receiving the 4 x per year Driveline magazine that will tell you when all the judging meets around the country are scheduled. You can plan to get your car judged at the next chapter meet near you. As stated above, there are several chapters nearby to you and all of them have two judging meets a year, Spring and Fall, and there is a Regional scheduled in MASS in 2013 if I am not mistaken.

correction: Driveline is published bi-monthly, and The Restorer is quarterly.

Last edited by 65hihp; 10-05-2012 at 01:33 PM.
Old 10-05-2012, 10:31 AM
John BX NY
Drifting

Received 341 Likes on 231 Posts

dennis

You just missed an NCRS Northeast chapter meet in Prospect, Ct last weekend.

I recommend you contact jerry cribbs....
Old 10-05-2012, 10:36 AM
zeus337
Melting Slicks

Cruise-In II Veteran
Cruise-In III Veteran

Survivor is a car that is mostly as it was when it left factory and this does not mean restored to that condition...
Old 10-05-2012, 02:14 PM
rsinor
Pro
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 362 Likes on 168 Posts

Technically, a “Survivor” by Bloomington standards is "at least 50% original in three of four categories" or said another way 50% of 75% of the car, a 37.5% car.

Oh and by the way that other 50% that it failed could be restored so it could be 50% restored in three of four categories, and 100% restored in the fourth category which means it would be surprise, surprise a 37.5% + 25% or 62.5% restored car and still pass – Survivor.

Old 10-05-2012, 05:19 PM
bighouse
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by flamed01
Technically, a “Survivor” by Bloomington standards is "at least 50% original in three of four categories" or said another way 50% of 75% of the car, a 37.5% car.

Oh and by the way that other 50% that it failed could be restored so it could be 50% restored in three of four categories, and 100% restored in the fourth category which means it would be surprise, surprise a 37.5% + 25% or 62.5% restored car and still pass – Survivor.

Anyone understand this? haha This "survivor" thing may be going to far if people are restoring a car to look like a survivor.
Old 10-05-2012, 05:49 PM
HHZ06
Pro

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Will replacing the original brakes, belts, hoses etc. on a survivor depreciate its value when being judged?
Old 10-05-2012, 05:55 PM
Nowhere Man
Team Owner

2015 C2 of Year Finalist

Originally Posted by HHZ06
Will replacing the original brakes, belts, hoses etc. on a survivor depreciate its value when being judged?
In one word. Yes. I would not advise to drive the car. Intact I think NCRS dosent care if the car runs or not
Old 10-06-2012, 07:37 PM
dbrown3326
Intermediate

Default 67 survivor

Thanks to all for replying. I will post up pics within a week. This car is all original including paint, with documented 32,000 original miles. The only things changed on this car are maintenance items. Battery , hoses belts ect. I would like to get it judged and I will join the local NCRS.

Thanks
Dennis
Old 10-06-2012, 08:19 PM
vettn
Pro

Received 15 Likes on 11 Posts

More critical info.

Bloomington only has one meet a year.

NCRS requires your car to be judged at a regional meet for flight judging first. The judges there will determine if your car appears to be worthy of Bowtie judging and recommend it for that. If they do recommend it, then you have to take your car to the annual national meet of the NCRS to have it judged for Bowtie. If not recommended, then NCRS won't judge it for Bowtie.

Here is what is written by the NCRS: This award was created by the National Corvette Restorers Society in 1992. The Bowtie award recognizes the un-restored Corvette and encourages the owner to retain and display the car in its present condition for the enjoyment and continuing educational benefit of our membership. The award is earned only at a National Convention by un-restored cars successfully judged and voted to be historically and educationally significant in four areas (Interior, Exterior, Mechanical and Chassis). This award is available to any model year currently judged by NCRS which was manufactured 20 or more years ago. Regardless of change in ownership or judging result the car may never be presented for judging again. The judged section requires an 80 to 85% pass with the following standard "Does the item, part, fabric, plating or coating appear to actually be that which was specifically installed or applied on this car at the time of manufacture". If this is successfully passed the vote with the following standard "Does the area judged display significant educational and historical value which should be preserved in its present condition" is taken. Passing both sections in all four areas earns the NCRS - Chevrolet Bowtie award.

VERY CRITICAL INFO: Don't mess with your car any more until some competent NCRS judges look at it formally or informally. Do not put wrenches on anything. This is because you can only have your car judged once, as stated above, for Bowtie judging. You can't take it home, "fix" it and take it back to be rejudged. It is a one-shot only judging situation.
Old 10-06-2012, 09:52 PM
Mike Terry
Le Mans Master

Received 270 Likes on 202 Posts

For 2013 Bloomington Gold will be in Champaign IL. and will be June 28-30, 2013. As far as I know they are the only ones who Judge for Survivor. NCRS does not Judge for Survivor. If you want your car Judged at BG you will need to register it about Feb. you should be able to go on there sight and find out all that information about when to register your car for Judging.

Get notified of new replies

To 67 survivor

Quick Reply: 67 survivor