C1 & C2 Corvettes General C1 Corvette & C2 Corvette Discussion, Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Project Builds, Restorations

1963 mint chassis and VIN questions

Old 10-02-2012, 05:03 PM
Ken Sungela
Melting Slicks
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 647 Likes on 276 Posts

Default 1963 mint chassis and VIN questions

Hi,
I'm considering buying a '63 convertible which has been stored for many years. The frame is mint (sandblasted, painted, suspension fully redone, no pitting on anything). It has a '65 corvette motor in it so not a matching number car. Body is all original and stripped of paint. My intention is to sell the chassis and use the body on an aftermarket frame for a resto-mod. Now here's where it gets interesting. The vin is currently a state issued number because of a history of theft/recovery of the vehicle. I can purchase a new VIN tag matching the orginal VIn number that's on the frame for $550. The dealer will then give me all the paperwork to match so i can then get a title in my state with the original VIN #.

1. Is it worth getting the original VIN # for $550 if the car will be turned into a restomod? Do restomod buyers really care about the VIN?

2. I thought the frame/chassis would be well suited for someone restoring their car to top flight status, but needed an all original mint chassis to do so. However, if the VIN on the chassis is not the same as theirs, is it still suitable for a top flight car. So, trying to judge the market price for such a chassis. Any thoughts?

Thanks in advance,
Ken
Old 10-02-2012, 09:36 PM
C2Driver
Le Mans Master

Received 6 Likes on 2 Posts

Old 10-02-2012, 10:23 PM
MiguelsC2
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 13 Likes on 13 Posts
St. Jude Donor '10-'12-'13

Old 10-02-2012, 10:34 PM
Hitch
Race Director

Received 164 Likes on 109 Posts

Originally Posted by ksungela
Hi,
I'm considering buying a '63 convertible which has been stored for many years. The frame is mint (sandblasted, painted, suspension fully redone, no pitting on anything). It has a '65 corvette motor in it so not a matching number car. Body is all original and stripped of paint. My intention is to sell the chassis and use the body on an aftermarket frame for a resto-mod. Now here's where it gets interesting. The vin is currently a state issued number because of a history of theft/recovery of the vehicle. I can purchase a new VIN tag matching the orginal VIn number that's on the frame for $550. The dealer will then give me all the paperwork to match so i can then get a title in my state with the original VIN #.

1. Is it worth getting the original VIN # for $550 if the car will be turned into a restomod? Do restomod buyers really care about the VIN?

2. I thought the frame/chassis would be well suited for someone restoring their car to top flight status, but needed an all original mint chassis to do so. However, if the VIN on the chassis is not the same as theirs, is it still suitable for a top flight car. So, trying to judge the market price for such a chassis. Any thoughts?

Thanks in advance,
Ken
There is a ton of illegal in that post..
Old 10-02-2012, 10:49 PM
Velox
Drifting
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 106 Likes on 97 Posts

oh boy this could get ugly
Old 10-02-2012, 10:59 PM
Ken Sungela
Melting Slicks
Support Corvetteforum!

LTMS...you guys are funny. For arguments sake, let's assume everything is legal and fully documented (state police included). Any opinions?
Old 10-02-2012, 11:14 PM
project63
Drifting

Received 49 Likes on 46 Posts

What you are suggesting is not legal nor will the "new" vin tag fool anybody....
Old 10-02-2012, 11:24 PM
Ken Sungela
Melting Slicks
Support Corvetteforum!

The state police and DMV are Ok with it. Not every state has the same rules. Some states don't even title old cars. They just go by a bill of sale from a dealer. Can we get beyond that?
Old 10-02-2012, 11:29 PM
62Jeff
Tech Contributor
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 47 Likes on 37 Posts

I do not think it is worth it, but further - a repro VIN tag will raise a lot of red flags with most buyers, where a state-issued VIN does not. A state-issued VIN devalues the car in the eyes of many buyers, but less so than a reproduction VIN tag that simply raises lots of questions.

Thanks in advance,
Ken
I do not believe the VIN on the chassis is a judged item. Market prices for nice rolling chassis are just a few thousand $$.

Jeff
Old 10-02-2012, 11:53 PM
Pop Chevy
Safety Car
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 776 Likes on 532 Posts
2021 C1 of the Year Finalist - Modified

I am building my restomod car with a state issued tag. But I really don't care cause I am building it for ME. Are you building for resale or yourself ?
Old 10-03-2012, 03:56 PM
JohnZ
Team Owner

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,856 Likes on 1,099 Posts

The state police and DMV are Ok with it. Not every state has the same rules. Some states don't even title old cars. They just go by a bill of sale from a dealer. Can we get beyond that?
If the car was indeed stolen and was a theft recovery that was issued a state-issued VIN, if you try to register it with the original VIN, it will pop up as "stolen" when they run the VIN. Any reproduction VIN tag is illegal, period.
Old 10-03-2012, 04:03 PM
Nowhere Man
Team Owner

Received 6,928 Likes on 4,774 Posts
2015 C2 of Year Finalist

here is the best thing to do. if you buy the car get a clear tittle for the state issued tag and leave it on the car. if you want to sell the frame take a grinder and remove the vin stamping then sell it
Old 10-03-2012, 05:07 PM
Powderboy
Instructor

Received 15 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by JohnZ
If the car was indeed stolen and was a theft recovery that was issued a state-issued VIN, if you try to register it with the original VIN, it will pop up as "stolen" when they run the VIN. Any reproduction VIN tag is illegal, period.
My car has a state vin tag with the exact numbers from the frame they said was stolen and created a nightmare for me. The state killed the under dash vin tag and used the frame.
Old 10-04-2012, 12:04 AM
Ken Sungela
Melting Slicks
Support Corvetteforum!

Originally Posted by Pop Chevy
I am building my restomod car with a state issued tag. But I really don't care cause I am building it for ME. Are you building for resale or yourself ?
First for me, then when I get bored with it, probably sell after its done, so I want to do it right from the beginning to maximize resale value later.

Get notified of new replies

To 1963 mint chassis and VIN questions

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: 1963 mint chassis and VIN questions