C1 & C2 Corvettes General C1 Corvette & C2 Corvette Discussion, Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Project Builds, Restorations

proper brake light operation

Search this Thread

Old 10-01-2012, 12:16 PM
don356
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default proper brake light operation

i wonder if anyone can explain to me the proper working operation of the brake light on the dash above the guages? my previous car, it was not operational and so on my 64 i just purchased i'm trying to make sure everything is working correctly. when i turn the key to start the car, the brake light on the dash is blinking for a period of time and then going out. is this normal or is it just malfunctioning as i thought it would just light up when the emergency brake is on? i've also noticed my tail lamps(outer red) are staying on after i turn the car off. i thought they went off after i depressed the brake pedal, but since i use a battery cutoff i may be mistaking the brake depression (as turning them off) as cause and effect. any guidance appreciated.
Old 10-01-2012, 12:22 PM
5thvet
Le Mans Master

Received 34 Likes on 27 Posts

That brake light on the dash is only suppose to light up when the emergency brake is applied. You may want to check the switch at the base of the e-brake shaft. The brake ( tail lights) staying on sound like the brake light switch may be sticking. You can find that under the brake pedal.
Old 10-01-2012, 12:23 PM
65GGvert
Team Owner

Received 3,217 Likes on 2,301 Posts

Originally Posted by don356
i wonder if anyone can explain to me the proper working operation of the brake light on the dash above the guages? my previous car, it was not operational and so on my 64 i just purchased i'm trying to make sure everything is working correctly. when i turn the key to start the car, the brake light on the dash is blinking for a period of time and then going out. is this normal or is it just malfunctioning as i thought it would just light up when the emergency brake is on? i've also noticed my tail lamps(outer red) are staying on after i turn the car off. i thought they went off after i depressed the brake pedal, but since i use a battery cutoff i may be mistaking the brake depression (as turning them off) as cause and effect. any guidance appreciated.
My 65 only comes on with parking brake. If it's the brake lights staying on, check the brake lamp switch on the brake pedal for adjustment or short. If it's the tail lights staying on, they should only come on when the headlight switch is pulled to park or on position and the key should have no effect on them.

Get notified of new replies

To proper brake light operation

Quick Reply: proper brake light operation