C1 & C2 Corvettes General C1 Corvette & C2 Corvette Discussion, Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Project Builds, Restorations

Ever read - If You Give a Pig a Pancake?

Search this Thread

Old 09-30-2012, 07:12 PM
Chrisintampa
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Ever read - If You Give a Pig a Pancake?

There is a kids book called "When you Give a Pig a Pancake". It is the childs version of "While I'm here, I might as well"

On October 6th, there is a really nice all GM show at Silver Silver springs in Ocala, Fl. There are 3 of us that bring cars and between wives and kids we number 11+.

I'm not a trailer guy, i like to drive and i really like to drive my 67 - my 11 year old daughter likes it as much as i do.

i started a month ago prepping for this show. After i bought the car, I found that flywheel had a broken tooth that has gotten progressively worse. Add to that my clutch was shot and started slipping. I figured how bad could this be - pop out the trans, clutch, pressure plate, throwout bearing, pilot bushing, flywheel - bam in and out.

As i drive the car - the rear shifts from left to right, by about an inch, under accelereation and deceleration. i quickly determined that oh by the way, my rear trailing arms are JUNK.

So WHILE I'M HERE, I'll get van steel to rebuild the TA. those guys are FANTASTIC, they turned these around pretty quick and were nice as all get out doing it.

Great the trailing arms are back in, the centerfurce dual friction shows up and we are about to put it all back together.

But WHILE I'M HERE, this would be a fantastic time to replace the rear main seal as its drippng a little and that drip is annoying. i pull the rear cap, man those bolts just dont want to come out - they should spin out by hand once they release.

So after inspecting the rear main bearing, i decide that i need to see more. yup - they are beat. i pulled the crank out today, and number 8 rod bearings looks absolutly HORRIBLE.

The bright side is that there were no indications that I had an issue, so this was caught way early.

I am heading to the machine shop in the morning. the rod bearings are already .02 so i'm a little worried that the crank is done.
Old 09-30-2012, 08:36 PM
63Corvette
Le Mans Master

Received 283 Likes on 199 Posts

"For want of a nail, a shoe was lost.................................... ...."
Old 10-01-2012, 12:41 AM
mike16
Racer

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

ignorance is bliss

might as well pull the engine and detail the engine compartment.

but then you might get overspray on your paint job....................
Old 10-01-2012, 09:26 AM
Chrisintampa
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Crank is toasty

well - The crank would need to go to at least .04 before it would be good. Engine guy isnt too thrilled about that and recommended a crank kit or new crank.

I am leaning towards an eagle crank as that woud get me back to standard, as opposed to crank kit that would be at .02 or .03. I would appreciate some feedback on from those of you that have been down this path.

we are pulling the motor tonight as it just dosen't make sense assume it's fine.

Get notified of new replies

To Ever read - If You Give a Pig a Pancake?

Quick Reply: Ever read - If You Give a Pig a Pancake?