C1 & C2 Corvettes General C1 Corvette & C2 Corvette Discussion, Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Project Builds, Restorations

M22 with 4.7" bearing retainer

Old 09-24-2012, 01:07 PM
FASTBACK
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default M22 with 4.7" bearing retainer

I'm putting a M22 (at least I believe it is) behind my DZ302 going in my 59 vette. I'm using a Lakewood scatter shield but when I tried to install the transmission I found that the bearing retainer was too big for the opening of the scatter shield. I measured the retainer and it was 4.7" across. I have other Muncies and they are about a half inch shorter across. also the bolts holding the retainer are further apart than my other muncies. I have several muncie trannys but I am not too knowledgeable about anything at all, seriously. So I had a person over that is knowledgeable and he's never seen a bearing retainer that wide for a Muncie. I just happened to have a bellhousing in my pile that had the larger opening, it fits into that one. Anyway, I couldn't find anything on line about any muncies having larger bearing retainers. so what is this?
Old 09-24-2012, 01:33 PM
JohnZ
Team Owner

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,856 Likes on 1,099 Posts

Originally Posted by FASTBACK
I'm putting a M22 (at least I believe it is) behind my DZ302 going in my 59 vette. I'm using a Lakewood scatter shield but when I tried to install the transmission I found that the bearing retainer was too big for the opening of the scatter shield. I measured the retainer and it was 4.7" across. I have other Muncies and they are about a half inch shorter across. also the bolts holding the retainer are further apart than my other muncies. I have several muncie trannys but I am not too knowledgeable about anything at all, seriously. So I had a person over that is knowledgeable and he's never seen a bearing retainer that wide for a Muncie. I just happened to have a bellhousing in my pile that had the larger opening, it fits into that one. Anyway, I couldn't find anything on line about any muncies having larger bearing retainers. so what is this?
All midyear-era Muncies (except the one-year-only '63 Muncie) used the same casting #3851326 iron front bearing retainer, and '68-up used casting #3915020, which was the same diameter. The '63-only Muncie used a smaller-diameter front bearing retainer with a different bolt pattern and different main case; that bearing retainer was casting #604932, and the main case was casting #3831704. That transmission will only bolt up properly to the one-year-only casting #3788421 small-hole bellhousing.
Old 09-24-2012, 02:21 PM
QIK59
Drifting
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 47 Likes on 36 Posts

The 4.7" brg retainer is the std 64 and up Muncie / BW retainer size.
Sounds like you might have a bunch of '63 Munices with the small retainer diameter.
That Lakewood bell must be an odd-ball ('63 only applications ?)- that the 4.7" retainer won't fit.
Are you sure the retainer you are talking about isn't 5 1/8" diameter ?
Old 09-24-2012, 03:29 PM
FASTBACK
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default M22 with 4.7" bearing retainer

I think that explains it. Obviously I am no expert, yet, I'm working on it though. Thank you very much.

Get notified of new replies

To M22 with 4.7" bearing retainer

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: M22 with 4.7" bearing retainer