C1 & C2 Corvettes General C1 Corvette & C2 Corvette Discussion, Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Project Builds, Restorations

side pipes are on

Search this Thread

Old 06-01-2002, 09:33 PM
jeff batchelor
Pro

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

Default side pipes are on

My pipes are on! My dog is terrified. The wife called me a redneck and said she was never going to ride in the thing again. I smell like gas after a ride,and my ears are ringing. I love them!!! I wish you all could hear this LS7 hitting through these pipes and headman headers.
Jeff [img]http.//temp.corvetteforum.net/classics/jeffb/corvette3.jpg[/img]
Old 06-01-2002, 09:35 PM
jeff batchelor
Pro

Default Re: side pipes are on (jeff batchelor)

Old 06-01-2002, 09:45 PM
67HEAVEN
Le Mans Master

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

My pipes are on! My dog is terrified. The wife called me a redneck and said she was never going to ride in the thing again. I smell like gas after a ride,and my ears are ringing. I love them!!! I wish you all could hear this LS7 hitting through these pipes and headman headers.
Jeff
I love the smell of gas in the twilight........I love the sound of a "loud" big block....so loud that the dogs are whining! :lol: :lol:

Sweet car.
Old 06-01-2002, 10:13 PM
Milehigh66
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

If you are feeling down some day all you have to do is go to the local mall and rumble through the parking lot, sure is fun to see how many car alarms you can set off at one time. I stink like gas when I'm done driving but I still love the sound of the pipes. When I get on it you can hear my car from over three miles away. :eek: So can the police unfortunatly. Enjoy they look great on your car, but your car looked really nice before. :yesnod:

Kurt
Old 06-01-2002, 10:51 PM
6T5RUSH
Safety Car
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 118 Likes on 97 Posts
Cruise-In III Veteran

jeff batchelor,

Ain't they great!!! I luv 'em. And mine's a small block. Put a little over 1,200 miles on my '5 to the Corvetteforum CruiseIn III last weekend. Let me tell you, when your runnin' in the left lane on the interstate and those cement barriers are to the left of the left lane you're in, she sounds like an off-shore race boat. The same holds true when you go under an overpass. SWEET!! Have to tell you my wife has gotten use to it...I can tell 'cause the 2 sets of ear plugs she packed in the glove box were never used.

Great lookin coupe and those knockoffs & redlines just got enhanced with the addition of your sidepipes!!! :cheers:

Jim
Old 06-02-2002, 12:18 AM
396 RAT
Melting Slicks

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Looks great!
A few BB coupe owners wear foam ear plugs on extended trips.
Have not been in a BB coupe with side pipes, but am told, its quite a
bit louder (inside) than in a BB vert.
Sounds great to me! I am only good for about an hours ride
with the way my car is set up.
And I would not change a thing!
Its stiff, loud, and ornery,............. PERFECT! :yesnod:
Old 06-02-2002, 07:52 AM
Kid_Again
Melting Slicks

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

...very nice ride....good luck with the car...yup, love to set off those car alarms (even with the liddle block).....i usually drive the roadster in a resort town and i JUST love it when a dozen or so weekenders take up a whole lane with their ^%&% bicycles (man, i didn't know you could actually get hips THAT big on a bike seat :D )...heh, pull up behind them and drop it down a gear, man they scatter, poor things :cheers:
Old 06-02-2002, 09:18 AM
TheOman
Melting Slicks

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Default Re: side pipes are on (396 RAT)

Boy I can relate to that. A friend of mine (now unfortunately deceased) drove from Ct to Cape Cod in a 66 BBC powered Vert with side pipes. we had a small trailor behind us with two Tryumph motorcycles on bosad which assured that the motor was work a little harder than just a cruise without the extra 1000 pounds and the aero effects. WOW when we got to the cape we could not hear each other for hours. Also could not talk too well due to the screaming at eachother on the road with the top down. Not my cup of tea anymore but ENJOY!!!!!!.
Old 06-02-2002, 09:31 AM
67HEAVEN
Le Mans Master

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Default Re: side pipes are on (TheOman)

WOW when we got to the cape we could not hear each other for hours. Also could not talk too well due to the screaming at each other on the road with the top down. Not my cup of tea anymore but ENJOY!!!!!!.
That, for the uninitiated, is a description of a little piece of heaven.....67 heaven in my case. ;)
Old 06-02-2002, 02:23 PM
richscorvettes
Melting Slicks
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 38 Likes on 21 Posts
St. Jude Donor '06-07-'08-'09-'10-'11-'12-'13-'14-'15-'16-'17-'18-'19-'20

Jeff,

Hard to beat the sound of those pipes. Your mentioning the dog reminded me of the time I started up the 67 in the garage and forgot that the dog was still in here. I looked near the front of the car and saw a puddle of what I first thought was anti-freeze as it was a yellow/green color. Then I remembered that I was using the pink/reddish DexCool. Then I saw the dog standing on the other side of the garage and I knew what had happened. Ever since that day, as soon as I reach for the keys to that car, he heads towards the door into the house!

Rich Lagasse
Old 06-02-2002, 03:41 PM
66427-450
Safety Car

Received 436 Likes on 317 Posts

Default Re: side pipes are on (richscorvettes)

Side pipes, the only way to go, I wouldn't own a mid-year without them.

I hear the 3" pipes are even more impressive, and let you make a bit more HP.
Old 06-03-2002, 12:43 AM
KingRat
Drifting

Received 862 Likes on 418 Posts

'Atta boy Jeff, keep the pipes singing loud and proud! You'll get tired smilin' long before you get tired of hearing them.
Old 06-03-2002, 10:17 PM
Bluestripe67
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 2,126 Likes on 1,465 Posts
C2 of the Year Finalist - Modified 2020

Default Re: side pipes are on (KingRat)

Huh, what did you say, speak up, just kiddin'! I have the exact set up on my SB and it's music to my ears. Have been on many long 600-900mi trips and no problems. They are great in a tunnel and like someone said about the concrete dividers, you sound like an off shore racer. Your car looks great, enjoy! :cheers:
Old 06-04-2002, 12:01 AM
396 RAT
Melting Slicks

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default Re: side pipes are on (Bluestripe67)

Whats that expression kids use concerning the volume of their music?

"If Its Too Loud, Your Too Old"

Fits here as well. :lol: :lol: :smash: :smash: :cheers: :cheers:

Just like RR gears. :eek:
Old 06-04-2002, 05:15 PM
jeff batchelor
Pro

Default Re: side pipes are on (396 RAT)

Thanks for the replies, and the tech help when I was installing my pipes. I love sitting at a stoplight and this thing popping through the pipes. Everyone is looking thinking somthing is wrong with your car. I pulled up at an auto zone saturday to buy a gas cap for my wifes car and everyone in the store came outside,even the workers. Hey 396 RAT, I prefer coupes but if I had to choose a conv. IT would be yours. I think you have the coolest car on the forum. I like ex racers especially black BBs. 67 heaven yours is baaaaad too. Jeff
Old 06-04-2002, 05:47 PM
66427-450
Safety Car

Received 436 Likes on 317 Posts

I'm with you Bro. Ever run that big boy with open headers? You ain't lived till you had a BB @6500 rpm with them open.
Old 06-05-2002, 04:46 PM
jeff batchelor
Pro

Default Re: side pipes are on (66427-450)

I drove it to the muffler shop with open headers to get the pipes flanged and welded. Its about 3 miles from my house. I was glad when I got there.
Jeff

Get notified of new replies

To side pipes are on

Old 06-07-2002, 02:50 PM

Nice looking ride Jeff. Mine have been on for a good long while now. Since I did not read you previous posts, can you share what you did on the headers, etc? The covers I have are showing age. What's the best way to restore them?

Thanks
Old 06-07-2002, 05:11 PM
jeff batchelor
Pro

Default Re: side pipes are on (67gilmore)

67 Gilmore,
Nice 67 you have!!! I bought my headers from P.A.W. They are headmon headers. They make side pipe headers that will work with factory side pipes for small or big blocks. You have to cut the pipes to get them to work, and have a flange welded to the pipes so they will bolt to the headers. I bought a used set so I didnt mind cutting them. I have not restored the covers but others on the forum have,so if you start a new post you will get some responce on that.
Jeff
Old 06-07-2002, 07:53 PM

Thanks Jeff. Go for a drive!!

David.

Quick Reply: side pipes are on