C1 & C2 Corvettes General C1 Corvette & C2 Corvette Discussion, Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Project Builds, Restorations

58 - Door hinge and jam area question

Search this Thread

Old 09-03-2012, 10:47 PM
jusplainwacky
Melting Slicks

Received 131 Likes on 65 Posts

Default 58 - Door hinge and jam area question

Hello -

The plate on my door hinge doesn't sit "flat/flush" on the door jam and I'd like to know if it should. There has been alot of fiberglass work on this car and I'm not sure the contour of the body should follow the contour of the plate. I can see this easily chipping the paint. I could grind it down, and fix it with no problem...but thought I'd check before I did. (See fiirst picture)

The second question is, I notice alone the running board, the channel that runs down is different on both sides...looks like one has been filled in, but not sure. Can someone tell me what is correct and if it even matters. (see bottom pictures)

Drivers side

Passenger side

Last edited by jusplainwacky; 09-03-2012 at 10:50 PM.
Old 09-04-2012, 01:21 AM
Waffle
Instructor
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I'll take a look see at my '58 tomorrow when i visit it at the paint shop and send you some pics
Old 09-06-2012, 01:48 AM
Waffle
Instructor
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Here's some pics

Hard to tell from the pic but the hinge cover is more or less sits on top of the jam and the lower left point nearest the jam is flush with the raised part of the jam.

No groove or recess in door sill. hope this helps. Let me know if you want others... i took a few.
Old 09-06-2012, 10:06 AM
jusplainwacky
Melting Slicks

Received 131 Likes on 65 Posts

Thanks! Looks like even your sill is slightly different. Probably just had to do with who was doing it that day.

As far as the hinge plate....Looks like I may have to grind mine out a little so it doesn't rest on the outside of the recessed area.

Thanks!

Get notified of new replies

To 58 - Door hinge and jam area question

Quick Reply: 58 - Door hinge and jam area question