C1 & C2 Corvettes General C1 Corvette & C2 Corvette Discussion, Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Project Builds, Restorations

Engine Temp Gauge Stopped working

Old 08-19-2012, 11:32 AM
Strumoo
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Engine Temp Gauge Stopped working

Had the instrument cluster on my 63 pulled to repair speedo and tach, problem is that now my engine temp gauge is stuck at 150. Hot or cold it is stuck at 150. Mechanic is very competent and said he double checked connections before reinstalling cluster. I trust him and therefore, I am looking for other obvious reasons the gauge is not working. the line to manifold is good and grounded. The temp thermostat is only 1 year old and was working before cluster removal. Any other ideas what it may be other than the connection behind the cluster? Thanks for any advice
Old 08-19-2012, 11:42 AM
5thvet
Le Mans Master

Received 34 Likes on 27 Posts

I would think that since the cluster was just out for repairs and that's when the problem started, the problem is the connection at the cluster. That would be where I would look first.
Old 08-19-2012, 12:13 PM
silver67
Pro

I thought mine was bad because it would start half way "180" then pin hot "240" when the engine warmed up. Turned out to be a ground issue at the cluster. The gauge itself was loose in the cluster. I bought and still have a replacement 63 guage that i got from one of the vendors. If you need a new guage mine is for sale. I'm going to Carlisle on saturday if that helps with a delivery. Good luck and take care.
Old 08-19-2012, 12:27 PM
65GGvert
Team Owner

Received 3,206 Likes on 2,297 Posts

Maybe the gauge is physically stuck, does it move when you turn the ignition off and on? Does it move if you ground the wire going to the sensor on the engine? You said the wire going to the manifold was grounded, but it should not be. I'm assuming you meant that it was connected to the sensor. If grounding that wire with the switch on doesn't move the gauge, the problem is back at the gauge or cluster connections.
Old 08-19-2012, 02:31 PM
Strumoo
Advanced

Originally Posted by 5thvet
I would think that since the cluster was just out for repairs and that's when the problem started, the problem is the connection at the cluster. That would be where I would look first.
Can you get to that without pulling the cluster?
Old 08-19-2012, 02:41 PM
Strumoo
Advanced

To silver67: I did mean connected to sensor. I will try grounding to see if needle moves. Thanks
Old 08-19-2012, 02:45 PM
5thvet
Le Mans Master

Received 34 Likes on 27 Posts

Originally Posted by Strumoo
Can you get to that without pulling the cluster?
It takes some acrobatics ( small hands help) with the steering wheel on and the front seat in but you should be able to get under the dash to check the connection.
Old 08-19-2012, 02:45 PM
Strumoo
Advanced

Originally Posted by Strumoo
To silver67: I did mean connected to sensor. I will try grounding to see if needle moves. Thanks
Ooops, I meant to address 65GGvert
Old 08-19-2012, 02:46 PM
Strumoo
Advanced

Originally Posted by 5thvet
It takes some acrobatics ( small hands help) with the steering wheel on and the front seat in but you should be able to get under the dash to check the connection.
Good, thanks!

Get notified of new replies

To Engine Temp Gauge Stopped working

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Engine Temp Gauge Stopped working