C1 & C2 Corvettes General C1 Corvette & C2 Corvette Discussion, Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Project Builds, Restorations

location, location, location

Search this Thread

Old 08-16-2012, 11:21 PM
1Redctoo
Pro

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Default location, location, location

In the '66 Assembly Manual , page 237, where is the body connector actually located on the car .
I'm trying to get my license plate light to work and want to check some wires .
Old 08-16-2012, 11:52 PM
66jack
Team Owner

Received 830 Likes on 574 Posts

Originally Posted by 1Redctoo
In the '66 Assembly Manual , page 237, where is the body connector actually located on the car .
I'm trying to get my license plate light to work and want to check some wires .
Should be hanging down behind instrument cluster or clipped/attached to the horizontal "dash brace" by your left knee as if you're setting down driving....
Old 08-17-2012, 05:32 PM
1Redctoo
Pro

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Default location (ground)

Thanks, I found the connection clipped to the crossbar under the dash. Now for another question.....

when I hooked up the license plate light assembly , I cleaned the power wire and its plug but the shop manual I have says to make sure the ground wire is attached . The only other wire I saw was attached to a screw that holds the wiring cable in place and it attaches to the assembly itself . Is there supposed to be a ground wire from it going to the frame somewhere ? Seems like I did see a screw and lock washer with nothing attached to it on the frame not too far away .
Old 08-17-2012, 06:34 PM
66jack
Team Owner

Received 830 Likes on 574 Posts

Thanks, I found the connection clipped to the crossbar under the dash. Now for another question.....

when I hooked up the license plate light assembly , I cleaned the power wire and its plug but the shop manual I have says to make sure the ground wire is attached . The only other wire I saw was attached to a screw that holds the wiring cable in place and it attaches to the assembly itself . Is there supposed to be a ground wire from it going to the frame somewhere ? Seems like I did see a screw and lock washer with nothing attached to it on the frame not too far away .
That is your ground.

The harness has grounds throughout it that has attach point/locations.
There is not another wire coming from that ground location.

The screw/lock washer setup should have a harness clip/clamp that attaches to the rear cross bar. I just don't remember at what location on that bar...

Someone else should/could chime in to help...
Old 08-18-2012, 05:24 PM
JohnZ
Team Owner

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,857 Likes on 1,100 Posts

See your Assembly Manual, UPC 12, sheet C6; look at the left side license plate light attaching screw (item #4) and the nut on the end of that screw (item #1). The black wire with the ring terminal on it that goes under that nut is a ground wire in the taillight harness - that's what grounds the license plate light.

Get notified of new replies

To location, location, location

Quick Reply: location, location, location